November 28, 2014

Things are looking up for Ugly Betty... perhaps

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 10th 2009 10:18PM
ugly_betty_glassesIf you're an Ugly Betty fan, you might be wondering why ABC has been treating the show like a stepchild lately. I know I've wondered why the Peabody-award winning, Emmy-winning, universally hailed, feel-good show was getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop. Instead of a big, splashy Season 4 premiere, Ugly Betty was sort plunked onto the schedule on Friday night at 9 p.m. in mid-October. There was little fanfare and the ratings were underwhelming.

Well, things might be changing for the better for Betty -- like her gradual on screen makeover. With the cancellation of Eastwick, ABC has confirmed to AfterElton.com that Ugly Betty will move to Wednesday at 10 p.m. It won't happen right away, but if ABC is smart, the sooner they can shift Eastwick out of that slot and hand it over the Betty, the better.

There are no sure things, but I like the odds of Ugly Betty going up against Leno and CSI: NY. Oh, I don't think it'll be the CBS crime procedural, but it might rebound enough for a possible bright future. Until today, it appeared that this would be the last season of Ugly Betty. However, at least now there's hope.

If Ugly Betty thrives on Wednesday -- which is a very good spot for the show, after the ABC sitcom lineup that includes some breakout shows (not including Hank) -- there might be a Season Five. I wouldn't bet the house on it, but it's encouraging.

Will

Also, if this happens, how weird for Rebecca Romijn, having her new show replaced by her old one. (Oh, well, that's show business.)

November 11 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I would hope that this means ABC has seen upcoming episodes of "Betty," feels the show is doing better creatively and thus worthy of a better timeslot. Even though I've only felt so-so about it this season (and I'm a huge "Betty" fan), I'm still not anxious to see it be put out to pasture just yet. It still has a whole lot of life left in it and deserves a lot better.

November 11 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theoneadd2

Happy Happy Joy Joy get it done now ABC now I till you.

November 11 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vickie

GREAT NEWS! This year the show has gotten much better than last year and it does not deserve being put into the Friday slot. Hopefully the move will be swift and we can enjoy Betty and the gang for years to come!

November 11 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamabam

it's very good news! this season of Ugly Betty has been really great and it's a shame to think about so many people missing out. i'm glad to see ABC hasn't entirely given up on it and hopefully things will turn around after assigning the new timeslot. what they should do is rerun the entire season during winter haitus to reel everyone back in.

November 11 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryK

Fingers crossed. The show definitely deserves the love. Go Betty!

November 10 2009 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply