October 21, 2014

Hank yanked by ABC

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 11th 2009 2:34PM
HankFirst off, thanks to ABC for canceling Hank, because I love it when headlines rhyme.

Second, yes, the network has canceled the struggling Kelsey Grammer comedy. It never really clicked with TV viewers or critics, and when ABC gave full season orders to all of the other Wednesday night comedies (The Middle, Modern Family, and Cougar Town) you knew the writing was on the wall and this show just wasn't going to be around for a second season. Of course, it's not going to be around for a full first season either. ABC is replacing the remaining episodes with holiday specials and repeats of their other sitcoms.

This might be a silly question to ask but ... is anyone out there going to miss this show? I have a high tolerance for sitcoms, even mediocre ones. But this show was mediocre, with a capital ocore. It just wasn't funny and the characters/premise just weren't interesting enough.

Inadequate Wife

The acting was a little off, but I actually enjoyed Hank much more than Cougar Town.

Of course, I like Eastwick better than the entire comedy block, and that time investment has been wasted too.

With the news of Dollhouse being canceled, I'll have lots of time to spare this winter.

November 11 2009 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I love Kelsey Grammer. He has had a tough time not playing Frasier since he did it so well for 20 years. I thought his show with Patricia Heaton was pretty good. He does need a strong cast around him. I really liked the premise of the show, but it was just too average and too stale. I really hope he can find his stride, because he should have a top rated show. He needs to find the next thing.

November 11 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thepassenger

Time to bring back Better Off Ted.

November 11 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to thepassenger's comment
LRM

Yeah, seriously.

November 11 2009 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariewp

Agree! Really miss that show.

November 11 2009 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Cool, I checked out after the pilot, got that one right.

November 11 2009 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GerryofNorVA's comment
PB

You lasted longer than I did! I checked out after the first 5 minutes :-)

November 11 2009 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jpier

I watched this show every week, and every week I wonder why am I watching this. It was such a struggle to get through an episode of it.

November 11 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

The pilot was beyond awful - the past two episodes were just okay. This show would have fit right in at ABC's TGIF but that no longer exists. I didn't hate the show but I knew it wasn't long for this world.

How many failed shows is this for poor Kelsey Grammer? I like him, but he need a great ensemble cast to play off of.

November 11 2009 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply