October 21, 2014

MTV's Jersey Shore: yet another chance to laugh at the Garden State

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 11th 2009 7:06PM
As much as I loved The Real Housewives of New Jersey, I knew that I was loving it for all the wrong reasons. I'm New Jersey all the way: born here, went to college here, have lived here all my life. About ten percent of the people I've met fit the yelling, lunkheaded Jersey stereotypes we've seen on TV since The Sopranos; what I don't understand is where reality TV's recent fascination has been with the louder residents of the Garden State.

First it was Housewives. Then it was Cake Boss, where Buddy Valastro and his crew scream and gesture so much it's a wonder how their cakes don't collapse in the oven. Even TLC's relatively gentle Masters of Reception seemed to highlight the more "Jersey" aspects of my home state.

Now we have Jersey Shore, an MTV reality series premiering December 3. It documents goings on last summer in a shore house with the "hottest, tannest, craziest Guidos," according to this particularly annoying promo:

The New York Daily News' reality expert, Cristina Kinon, seems to be extremely excited by this news: "It has all I've ever wanted in a reality series, and then some (like pit stains!)."

Oy. Just what my home state needs: more people thinking that it's filled with idiots like these. Again, I'm not saying that I don't find all of this entertaining. I may even watch Jersey Shore (I'm sure my fiancee will immediately add the season pass for it to the DVR as soon as she hears about it) and love it. But I kind of love it in the same vein where I can make jokes about my own family, but will get upset at any outsider who does the same.

Hopefully, this Jersey reality craze fades soon and people move on to another state. Maybe something on desert dwellers in New Mexico... yeah, that'll be nice to see.

HollywoodBullitt

Jersey Shore...Half of these people are Persian...when they were out in Hollywood a week ago for their promo tour, they were speaking Farsi to one of the club doorman. Not even Italian...what a shame! What a scam of a show. Couldn't MTV have casted some better looking individuals? The women all have a five o' clock shadows.

December 23 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shaun

Horrible show, Pauly and Mike ...please. Mike looks like a troll. show is stereotypical Jersey Guidos., low class and they think they are everything. Maybe in their small Jersey world they are, but to the rest of the country, they are idiots. Hell, they are even more pathetic than Philadelphia guidos.

December 19 2009 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I'm from the Jersey Shore too (Wall Twp.) and even 35 years or so removed from the "Shore" scene of my youth (The Stone Pony, Springsteen, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Beaver Brown and Bon Jovi, Max's, Vic's, etc., etc. ) I can't help but think nothing changes. While the "characters" depicted on the show make up maybe 10% of the summer visitors to the shore ( EXCEPT for Seaside Hts where they probably make up 30% of the crowd) they have stayed pretty consistent over the decades since I was their age. The technology differs but the Bennies (the locals nickname for guidos and guidettes ; ) aren't that much different from the 70's. Really, it's like the disco age on steroids. ; )

We used to make fun of the chicks whose makeup would literally melt as they walked down the boardwalk in July and whose high heels would get stuck in the gaps of the boardwalk. While most of the locals were wearing cutoffs and baggie surf shorts the male bennies would be in speedos. Note: you can't fake or hide much in a Speedo Guido. ; )

This show is as close to the real Jersey Shore as Belmar is to Baghdad. If MTV can make money off this kinda crap then more power to them though I weep at the thought there is an actual audience for this show.

Then again we have Real Housewives, Jon and Kate, etc., etc., so America's appetite for garbage entertainment seems to have no end or boundaries.

December 09 2009 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

Keep in mine. Most of the players ARE NOT FROM JERSEY.
The Jersey Shore is a great place to spend vacations, weekends or just the day.

December 09 2009 at 6:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

The show is not about 'Jersey shore" people. It's about guidos down the shore and they are portrayed perfectly. As a Staten Islander and never, ever a fan of guidos/guidettes, I've never seen a truer depiction of those people in my life.

December 05 2009 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa O

This show makes me have a fantasy: Remember in Independence Day when the alien spacecrafts hovered over the white house, and other buildings and opened up to let forth their glowing light which then pulverized the below structure....yeah...that's what I am thinking this shore house needed. These are 8 sad existences.

December 04 2009 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

It's good to note that only ONE person in the cast is from NJ, most of them are from New York and as any NJ local will tell you, all of the trash on the NJ Shore comes from New York. You can't go into a club without seeing an old, sleazy New Yorker trying to pick someone half his age.

December 03 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dylan palmer

this is not the real jersey.. ive lived in new jersey my entire life and this show is just the stupid guidos coming down from staten island and up state... they go to sea side and act dumb and get drunk... and put a bad rep up.. locals to sea side know its not just all stupid guidos!

November 29 2009 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

I'm so sick of them making shows like this. I'm from the Jersey Shore (Belmar) and as everyone from the shore knows, we HATE the guidos. The show is all about loud mouth, annoying, Staten Island people who have nothing better to do then come ruin our beaches and state as a whole. Shows like this give New Jersey such a bad name, but I really hope people aren't stupid enough to think that we are not like this by any means. The guidos need to stay away and seriously get lives. I don't even go to my own beach anymore because I cannot stand them. It's all about ratings though, and if MTV were to have a show about the Jersey Shore with the real people, it wouldn't get as many views.

November 28 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoJo

They should call this show "Staten Islanders Visting the Jersey Shore."

November 21 2009 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply