October 1, 2014

An open letter to Jay Mohr about Gary Unmarried

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 12th 2009 4:02PM
gary_unmarried_gary_allison
Dear Jay,

Let me start by stating that I think you are a very funny man. I have been following your career for years and you're great. You were wonderful in Jerry Maguire. Of course, you were speaking lines written by Cameron Crowe, so that was a plus, but you delivered the performance. Bravo, Jay Mohr.

That said, I have to talk to you now about Gary Unmarried. Jay, you can make this so much better. Really, you are capable of so much more. Yes, you don't have Cameron Crowe writing for you now. I'm fully aware of that. But you're there.

Gary Unmarried may have started as a formula, and it still has too much of that formula intact. The bitchy, controlling wife/ex-wife? Haven't we seen the Allison character on Two and a Half Men (Judith), Everybody Loves Raymond (Deborah), The King of Queens (Carrie)? Do you see the pattern here? I do.

It's all well and good that Gary's a guy's guy, a working class, sports-loving, barbecue-grilling, girl-chasing man. That's also a typical character, but you can pull it off. I like Gary. I just want you to make him funnier. He needs more Jay and less Gary. Do you know what I mean?

Right now, Gary Unmarried is barely ahead of ABC's The Middle -- another family/working class comedy -- that's in the same timeslot. If you want Gary to survive and thrive, you have to get in the writers' room and kick some butt. Add the Jay Mohr snark and rework the formula before it's too late.

Why not take advantage of Allison being Gary's business partner to give them a joint conflict -- what if a new painter was going after Gary's clients? Allison and Gary would be compelled to fight together, and that'll give you a new foil for the comedy. Why not make them friends instead of antagonists? I know that actress Paula Marshall can play more than a one-note character. Let her.

It's just a thought, but I worry about you, Jay. I'm in your corner. Just please, take this advice to heart and give us something Mohr better.

Yours truly,
Allison J. Waldman

[I love a lot of these clips from Gary Unmarried on SlashControl.]

To make friends

Bored with Orkut or Facebook and looking for some change, then I would suggest you to visit: www.desimartini.com , this site is totally awesome, it has a variety of cool games even.

November 25 2009 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Did TV Squad suddenly get an influx of new teenage readers or AOL members? The comments have gotten a new nasty, immature tone that they didn't used to have before. Every time someone posts something on TV Squad that indicates an opinion or an attempt at creative writing, a bunch of slobs whine about how they only want news, and how dare some blogger offer an opinion? These commenters make me feel like it's 1998 here, in Internet-time. Of course, some of them may have been toddlers back then. Your role online is to read stuff, offer constructive comments, or just go find some other site also run by 13-year-olds. Leave the grownups and their "opinions" to themselves, got it?

November 17 2009 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

If you know anyone that likes comedy, they would love growing a real plant that Moves when you Tickle It!

The leaves fold and even the branches droop! See the video you wont stop laughing.. cool gift idea. Here is link http://cli.gs/LUdubp or just search Tickle Me Plant.

November 15 2009 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

So ya think the angry woman is just "Spoiled" by her ex-husband?
definition of spoil:
"to damage or injure in such a way as to make useless, valueless, etc.; destroy; 2. to mar or impair the enjoyment, quality, or functioning of; as, the rain spoiled our picnic...." --taken from Mr. Webster
So I guess you're right...humph! That must explain why she's such a bitch.
If you put two potatoes next to each other, and one of them is rotten, it does eek to the good potato and spoil it. The fresh air of truth, openness, and sorrow for sin always bring healing.

November 14 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guy T

I never liked Mohr and when I see him on TV, even a commercial, I change the channel.. His show can be cancelled and I, for one, won't miss it.

November 14 2009 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carole

I think Jay is great like he is funny funny funny--a lot better than some of the old shows that keep on popping up with no humor at all

November 14 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Let me say this. I think Jay Mohr is an absolute no talented bore. I don't know how he keeps getting work he must have some dirty pictures of somebody. Check this out if you like TV Comedies: http://stores.homestead.com/TJWVideoltdcom/-strse-Television-cln-Situation-Comedies/Categories.bok

November 14 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andy

great show,i miss gary on ghost whisperer.

November 14 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reggie Wagstaff

Jay, I like the use of the same construct that so many other sitcoms utilize, namely, the "shlub" guy and the hot wife/ex-wife. Yea, just like in King of Queens, the fat UPS driver has a smokin' hottie at home, oblivious to the fact that he's a loser-slob. Now, here you are, a stupid-looking guy who's getting balder all the time, and you've got a boinkable woman in your life. True, she's a shrewish ballbuster but she is still hot. Oh, Jay, don't do anything original when the classics are still available. You're the best.

November 14 2009 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply