The real reason Dollhouse was cancelled

by Danny Gallagher, posted Nov 12th 2009 5:04PM
Are you still losing sleep over FOX's unsurprising yet tragic cancellation of Josh Joss Whedon's Dollhouse? This may be the melatonin you need.

CollegeHumor has uncovered the true reason FOX nixed the action drama from its airwaves. It needed more room for more Seth MacFarlane cartoons about pop-culture spewing families with anthropomorphic pets and American Idol. I never thought I'd long for the good ol' days was Fox was known for quality programming like Bad Orderlies Caught on Tape 2 and When Lawn Equipment Goes Screwy 4.

[via Slashfilm]

MCW

I'm not supposed to think anything by College Humor is funny. But I guess they're probably owned by Fox now, so they're just biting the hand that feeds. This video was OK... nothing to do with Dollhouse though.

December 14 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

Here's a far out reason I think that i got cancelled. Because it was a bad show. Period. You can complain all you want that Weadon is God's gift to writing, but somethings, 1,000,000 monkeys banging on a typewriter turn out crap, too.

Yes, I tried watching Dollhouse. But it just wasn't good. And yes, I did watch Firefly and thought it was great, thank you very much.

November 12 2009 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FOX Exec

Collegehumor is wrong. Friday is the graveyard of TV, and any show starting or finishing there are likely on their way out, unless a miraculous ratings recovery happens. The Idol premise is wrong, because Idol is on Tues & Wed replacing SYTYC Dance next season, not a Friday show like Dollhouse.
Also sad to tell you that petitions are about useless, because the purpose of a show (to networks) is to sell advertising, not entertain the public. ("sad" because I like Joss's shows, myself.) If the ratings are consistenly low for prime time, and they have been, then even a rabid following will likely lose at saving it. More so in this risk averse environment than ever before. TV stations need profits badly, and want as close to a "surefire" winner as possible, and less tolerant of weak ratings. (Thus the rash of short-lived programs and quick cancellations in recent years.)
J

November 12 2009 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to FOX Exec's comment
Yesenia

he's joking about this being the reason Dollhouse was canceled. it was just a way to joke about this video, which never mentions Dollhouse, its simply making fun of the MacFarlane machine.

November 12 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

Wow. Are you also the type of guy who rationalizes jokes at parties until the humor has completely dissipated and everyone walks away rolling their eyes?

November 12 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply