April 21, 2014

What's the best TV theme of all-time, Happy Days or Gilligan's Island?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 12th 2009 3:04PM
Gilligan's Island/Happy Days
I know, I know, you're thinking, those are the only two choices I get, Happy Days and Gilligan's Island? Yes, according to this poll over at AOL Television. For the past several weeks they've pit various TV show theme songs against each other in a tournament, and the two finalists, for some reason, are Happy Days theme and the Gilligan's Island theme.

Now, it seems like these aren't the "best" theme songs, just the ones that readers and TV fans thought were the most iconic, or maybe it's the fact that they both have lyrics and that's what readers were looking for?

Not really sure of the reason, but some of the themes that didn't make it to the final round include Hawaii Five-0, M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Simpsons, Cheers, The X-Files, Golden Girls, and other shows. Shows like Mannix, The Rockford Files, MacGyver, Friends, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The West Wing, Stingray, It Takes A Thief, Mike Hammer, and...well, a ton more, weren't even nominated in the first place.

There is a consolation round too, which is Mission: Impossible vs. The Andy Griffith Show. I'd pick either one of those over the two finalists.

mdugger

For me the themes from the Lucy series(all three of them), Green Acres.Petticoat Junction and, of course, who can possibly forget the theme from "My Three Sons?"

November 13 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
candy

Wow did I love NIP TUCK! I missed it during the original broadcast, but based on what people have told me, I gambled on this box set at http://www.buybestdvds.com. I feel like I hit the jackpot.

It's definitely not for everyone though. No sirree.

November 13 2009 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

maybe it's theme songs that get stuck in your head?
either way I would vote Gilligan's Island , happy days was just a top 40 song from the era the show depicted.

November 13 2009 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

if we're down to just those two, I vote for Gilligan. it's more fun, and it fits the show better.

November 12 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

If you're going to go just for singable ones, how in the world does "The Brady Bunch" lose? Or "The Addams Family"? I've never heard anyone sing the "Happy Days" theme song for fun.

November 12 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

So many have a lot of meaning to me:

MASH
Rockford Files
Greatest American Hero
Hill Street Blues

November 12 2009 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

M*A*S*H was the best theme song. I still love that show.

November 12 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply