September 1, 2014

Charlie's Angels returning to TV?

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 13th 2009 12:02PM
Charlie's AngelsJosh Friedman, the creator behind Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, is now getting behind another movie franchise to bring to ABC. This time it's Charlie's Angels. Okay, this one started as a television franchise then moved to the movies and now is moving back to TV. Well, you get the idea.

Also involved would be Leonard Goldberg, who worked with Aaron Spelling to produce the original series, and Drew Barrymore, who produced and starred in the movie versions. My guess is that this new version would something like Charlie's Angels: The Next Generation. Will John Forsythe return as the voice of Charlie? I hope so.

Revival-mania continues strong on network television. Success has been a mixed bag. For every Battlestar Galactica there are several Bionic Womans. A new version of Charlie's Angels certainly has a shot in today's market and the movies did well. Aaron Spelling tried to revive the franchise in '88 and that didn't work. Now could be a better time. What do you think?

Suzy

When Charlie's Angels was in it's prime, I was about 9. I loved the show and of course loved Farrah. I felt the show wasn't the same w/o her but I got over it. I have to
agree w/ what John said, and completely update the show
up to the new millenium, otherwise it will inevitably fail. Enough of the T&A, and bring on some real nitty, gritty storylines, good actresses and of course bring back John Forsythe for the part of Charlie. Without that voice, believe it or not, I don't think it would be the same! I'd rather see other shows from the 1970's return. For instance Three's Company, but mixed up a bit. Instead of
a guy w/ 2 women, how about one woman w/ two guys??
Or is that too much? Probably! Other 1970's shows I would like to see return is Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and how about Happy Days? What about Rhoda, or The Facts of Life?

November 15 2009 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pj

I've resorted to watching more and more BBC America. Our networks have just flat run out of ideas. Charlies Angels, which I tried to watch once, was just silly. If it isn't reality shows, it's remakes. Would just cancel all cable if it weren't for just a few channels. There are no more good comedy shows on except for re runs....everyone has to be so PC.....so many are totally out of the realm of possiblity that they only interest pre teens etc, or just plain stupid people. Hey tv land folks....it's us paying the bills. Real people who don't live in la la land.

November 15 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Great idea by ABC. Hopefully this guy will do it tight and it will be a hit. Somany times they ruin things when they remake them thinking that their way is better then the original. Check this out if you like Charlie's Angels: http://stores.homestead.com/TJWVideoltdcom/-strse-50/Charlie%27s-Angels-cln--The-Complete/Detail.bok

November 15 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

This only goes to show the complete lack of creativity out in Hollywood. Besides the fact that there is nothing good on TV any more, you can't redo a hit show. The remakes are never even close to being as good as the origianl. Leave it alone!

November 15 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abrafo Mabisali

Will any of the stars be white this time? You know they cannot make this series this time without having at least one black and one Asian. And, which ones will be lesbians?

November 15 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jasmine

Doing Charlie's Angels now is ok, just as long as they do not cast Megan Fox into it. I am so sick of seeing that excuse for acting bimbo. Just please put someone else, i don't care, who else.
Thank you.

November 15 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William O\'Leary

Another liberal, p.c. re-run of fantasy feminism; why not ? I very well accustomed to liberal propaganda the last 48 years of my life.

November 15 2009 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to William O\'Leary's comment
Elise

what does politics have to do with any of this?

November 15 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

Oh boy!

November 15 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Ann

I am not complaing, however, can these bright, intelligent people come up with something new??Just like the movies, it is rare they do something new, they are just remakes, and about 905% are bit good, so I hear because I do not watch movies unless they are wholesome and no one goes to bed with someone. Like "The Good Witch" very nice movies, AND MY GRANDC HILDREN CAN WATCH THEM, at least the young ones.

November 15 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIKE ZVIRBLIS

THERE WAS AN ATTEMPT MADE IN THE 80's WITH AN UNKNOWN TEA LEONI(had the Farrah hair).WHY NOT TRY AN UGLY VERSION OF THE SHOW AND YOU MIGHT BY ACCIDENTLY CREATE A FEMALE VERSION OF THE THREE STOOGES AS WELL. THIS COULD BE THE ACCIDENTAL HIT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.

November 15 2009 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply