July 26, 2014

Do you still watch a black and white TV?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 13th 2009 4:01PM
Philco TVI haven't owned a black and white television in 20 years, but a lot of people in the UK still do. In fact, 30,000 of them, according to the story at BBC News.

That seems like a lot to me, but I figured I'd ask TV Squad readers if they still watch one or not. Sometimes I'll watch a color movie in black and white (by turning off the color), to see how it looks and see if it gets any better (note: does not work with Pauly Shore movies).

Do you still watch a black and white TV?
Yup! Who needs color?37 (4.4%)
I own one but I don't watch it.69 (8.1%)
Black and white? Seriously?743 (87.5%)

portable color tvs

We had a black and white TV when I was 2 years old. But today, I have a very small portable TV and it is very cool. The signal was very clear. You can watch anything on it. You can also plug in a DVD player and watch video with it.

portable color tvs

December 17 2009 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Well I have a 5" portable B/W TV in my bedroom that I actually used a LOT -- until the digital TV conversion last summer, and now it doesn't get anything. However, I do have a converter box that isn't being used (because the old analog TV I bought it for finally died), so I might just plug it into that and start using it again.

But, alas, right now, the only working TV is the 13" in the living room, which has its own digital tuner. (I don't have cable, I still use rabbit ears.)

November 14 2009 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment
Donna

(To clarify the above -- the 13" is a color TV. So, right now, I'm not watching a B/W TV at all, am I? LOL)

November 14 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

The B & W TV I have is one of those old battery operated ones "Travel" ones from 20 years ago.

November 13 2009 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mb's comment
MCW

Yeah, I assume a lot of people do. That's the kind I have... takes about 90 D batteries (Hmm... I guess the antenna won't work on it anymore though - darn).

I've never figured out what made it so hard for Wal*mart to figure out how to get COLOR into those travel weather band radio/TVs. Guess they ran out of that magic paint that mixes inside the screen to create Andy Rooney's bush baby eyebrows.

November 13 2009 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I'm guessing that this is more an issue of people entering that they have a B&W tv instead of a color one so that they can pay the smaller license fee.

November 13 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

To contextualize this, it's possibly because a black-and-white TV license is cheaper in the UK, and I'd assume blind people buy them.

Their license is already a concession price (as they can't SEE the TV only hear it), so it makes sense they'd also buy a B&W set to cut their costs even further. So, 30,000 blind and financially canny people doesn't seem so strange.

November 13 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nacho

I'd imagine the overlap of people that watch black and white tv and the people that have internet (and manage to find discussion blogs on television at that) are pretty much so zero.

November 13 2009 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nacho's comment
mettlemod

That was my thought exactly!

November 13 2009 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

i don't own a TV. i have hulu.

November 13 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger Rees

"to see how it looks and see if it gets any better (note: does not work with Pauly Shore movies)"

As if you could improve perfection!

November 13 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply