September 19, 2014

Remote Control host Ken Ober dead at 52

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 16th 2009 5:27PM
Ken OberWow, it's one thing to write about the death of someone like Edward Woodward, someone who was older and not in good health, but it's another thing to write about the death of someone only 52. Ken Ober, who hosted the classic (well, in my mind it's a classic) MTV game show Remote Control in the late 80s, died yesterday of unknown causes.

If you've never seen Remote Control, it was a wacky pop culture trivia game show that supposedly was filmed in Ober's basement. Besides being a really fun game show (especially for someone raised on television), it costarred a lot of people who later became household names, such as Adam Sandler, Denis Leary, and Colin Quinn.

Oddly enough, Ober was a guest on an episode of The Equalizer and also appeared in other shows, including Who's The Boss, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and the original Parenthood series. He was the Comedian champ on Star Search and was also a producer, working on such shows as The New Adventures of Old Christine, Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn, and Mind of Mencia.

Here's an episode from Remote Control (here's part two and part three).

RobynM

I loved Remote Control - in fact, it's one of the few game shows I'd consider picking up DVDs of.

Ken's passing was definitely a shock to me. I was just thinking about him the other day when I happened to catch Blues Traveler on VH1 - he was a friend of theirs and appeared in a number of their videos. What a shame.

My heart goes out to his friends and family in what must be a very trying time for them.

November 17 2009 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amanda82977

Rosie O'Donnell just had comedian John Mulrooney on the other day & they happened to mention that neither of them had heard anything of Ken Ober in quite some time. It is so odd to hear of his passing. I hope that tvsquad will keep us posted on details.

I was a huge fan of remote control growing up & my thoughts and prayers are with his family & friends!!!

November 16 2009 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyroll

Although she may never have achieved household name status, Kari Wuhrer has done pretty well for herself and got her start when she replaced Marisol on Remote Control.

November 16 2009 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

He also was on The Equalizer.

November 16 2009 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c

Wow, what a shame. I definitely enjoyed Romote Control back in the day and Ken Ober was great on that show. As I recall it might have been on just before John Stewart's MTV interview show.

November 16 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Whoa. I feel old now. I loved that show - even played the video game.

52 - that's a shame, I hope he didn't suffer.

November 16 2009 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply