August 2, 2014

The Equalizer's Edward Woodward dead at 79

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 16th 2009 1:07PM
Edward WoodwardEdward Woodward, probably best known to U.S. audiences as crime-fighting ex-agent Robert McCall on the cool 80s series The Equalizer, has died at the age of 79.

Of course, before taking that role, Woodward had a long, distinguished film career, starring in such classic films as Breaker Morant and The Wicker Man. Long before The Equalizer he did a British series where he played a spy in the series Callan, which ran from 1967 to 1972.. He appeared in several other TV shows over the years, including The Defenders, The Saint, La Femme Nikita, CI5, Over My Dead Body, Nice Work, 1990, The Edward Woodward Hour, and many others.

This year he guest starred in several episodes of the classic British show EastEnders. He was also an accomplished stage actor and singer.

Woodward actually stars in my favorite adaptation of A Christmas Carol, the 1984 George C. Scott TV movie. He plays the very tall Ghost of Christmas Present, and it's a great performance. I make a point of watching it every year, and this year I definitely will again. I also think it's time to break out that first season Equalizer set again. I wonder what the status is on the big screen version of the series that was talked about a couple of years ago.

Redbone619

It's regrettable to find out of his passing only by chance, and to learn of so much of his career I hadn't known before - now I have a bit of catching up to do, and am definitely intrigued by the prospect of both A Christmas Carol and the old boy's crooning! The Equalizer was a welcome relief from the cutesy gadget-driven unstylings of Knight Rider and the overhyped glitzy bikini parade of Miami Vice. Only 1st season on DVD for now, but no doubt the rest will now soon follow. R.I.P. to a great and understated old-schooler who never sank into Dollywood depravity.

November 20 2009 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ev

RIP Ed.. I loved the Equalizer; loved that an old guy could kickass!! He was a terrific actor and it seems an all around nice guy. I too had a crush on him, I was about 28 or so when the show came out and he was what 50's 60? Hot old guy!! lol

November 18 2009 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G

I didn't watch The Equalizer a lot or as much as I'd wished, but I pray that you rest in peace Mr. Woodward.

November 17 2009 at 3:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
capwhan

You had a great life and you gave me a lot of good movie and TV viewing! RIP!

November 17 2009 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clint

I'll miss ya Ed. Rest in peace. I'm a little peeved that the AOL teaser for this story couldn't even put his name on the main page. Mr. Woodward deserved more respect than "ACTOR dies at 79". Might as well have said "Guess who kicked the bucket?"
Well, thank you for your good work and rest in peace Ed.

November 17 2009 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Birdnow

"Breaker Morant" may have been the most underrated movie ever. It would be worthy of an insvestigation to determine how Edward Woodward did not win an Academy for his performance. I have showed that movie to my college students and each time I showed it the crowd sat in stunned silence at the end. that is a pretty tough trick to turn for 18-20 year old kids!

November 17 2009 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Rest in peace, Mr. Woodward. I appreciated your
performances over the years. Thank you.

November 17 2009 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhiannnonn

Oh!!! I adored Mr. Woodward as Robert McCall on "The Equalizer!" And he had to be the absolute best Ghost of Christmas Present (and my favorite version of "A Christmas Carol" will always be the one with Alistair Sim, but George C. Scott and Edward Woodward will run a very close second). My daughter's going to be sad to hear this one, too. Rest in Peace, Mr. Woodward!

November 17 2009 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jr

Also his portrayall of the ghost of christmas present was great.again he will be missed, they are few now days with such depth of talent

November 17 2009 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jr

didn't get to see many of the equalizer shows but did greatly enjoy him in the movie breaker morant. he will be missed

November 16 2009 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply