April 23, 2014

Who's the imposter in that new Folgers coffee commercial?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 16th 2009 2:30PM
We all remember and love the Folgers TV commercial from the early 80's that featured Peter coming home from college (or maybe prison or being stranded on an island, it's never really explained). I don't know why Folgers doesn't just run this ad every year people love it so much, but they don't. In fact, this morning I saw a new Folgers Christmas commercial that is very similar to the Peter ad: guy gets dropped off at his home, his sister is up first, and then the parents smell the coffee and get out of bed and come down to greet him. It's just not the same though.

Here's the old ad (and here's an interview with Greg Wrangler, who played Peter). Can't find the new one online yet but I'll post it when I can.

Carole Nelms

Pardon my second post here - Just wanted to add that I have a 19 yr old daughter and she has a 21 and 23 yr old brother and they are very close and she just adores her brothers and they love each other. I do not see any type of incestual overtures other than she missed and loves her brother.
Carole

December 27 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole Nelms

The one part I don't quite hear is what she calls him....
Is she saying "Sustern" ?? What is that word she says to him?

December 27 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcie

Jonathan - Thank you and your wife so much for finding this. I can't wait to send it to my son in West Africa! I cry everytime I see it.

December 14 2009 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heather

The "new" peter is Matthew Alan. He's a great guy and I am really happy for him. I loved the old commercial-but am partial to this one b/c he's my college buddy...

December 12 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcie

Has anyone found the new commerical on the internet yet?

December 04 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Marcie's comment
Jonathan

I found it! Well, actually my wife did, but here is the link:

December 04 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Louey

Sandi, I'm so excited for you! That's so neat that he got chosen. Honestly, whatever anyone else wants to say is their opinion. I think "Peter" did a great job. :o) However, I also think he is absolutely adorable in it, so that may have some sway on my opinion. Hope to see him around t.v. land more.

December 03 2009 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana

I'm sorry let me be the first tpo say the incestuous undertones in the new commercial run the gamut... It looks like they want to kiss or something...

December 03 2009 at 6:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Adelmann

I'm glad Folgers put another "Peter Like" commercial on again. My family and out of town family members loved to watch for Peter to come home. Now the new one is the one we are viewing. Thanks to Folgers for thinking of family.

December 01 2009 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JM

I don't have a relative in West Africa that I'm expecting for Christmas, but the first time I saw the 2009 commercial, I couldn't quit crying.

November 29 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lawrence Shirley

Almost forty years ago, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in West Africa and came home after 2 1/2 years for a holiday. I assumed the guy in the commercial was a PCV and felt proud!

November 26 2009 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply