April 24, 2014

Recap: Dancing with the Stars - Performance #9

by Michael Pascua, posted Nov 17th 2009 1:12AM
Joanna and Derek dance(S9E18) For the first time in Dancing with the Stars history, the semifinalists have to dance three dances. Fortunately, their third dance was the dance-off they've been practicing for weeks. For the Latin dances, each of the contestants have to do a solo.

With next week being the finals, all the contestants are stressed and more emotional than normal. There were a lot of tears being held tonight.

As the contestants walked down, I couldn't help but gawk at how beautiful Kym Johnson looked in her tango costume. Unfortunately for her, it will probably lead to her and Donny's downfall.

Round One

Donny & Kym - Tango - Donny is worried about being on the bottom of the heap. Kym invited Gilles Marini over and he suggests that a good tango is when everyone else feels uncomfortable watching. While I think their song was fast for a tango, it seemed like that was the least of their concerns. Almost immediately there were countless stumbles. A piece of Kym's dress dangled and got caught on her shoe but Kym danced like a trooper. They continued to stumble through the dance.

Len begins the judging and he thought it was a catastrophe. Donny blames Marie; very un-classy. Bruno thought that he couldn't cover up his mistakes. Carrie Ann saw there wasn't any drama, but she did commend him for dancing the whole dance even with the dress malfunction. Score: 21 (7,7,7).

Joanna & Derek - Viennese Waltz - Derek starts to get harder with his teaching. He invites Brooke Burke and she suggests role-play. Joanna does a really good Derek impersonation and Brook points out his nuances. They pulled out the long silk for the stage. They begin with this picturesque ballerina spin. Joanna uses some acting skills. The dance was light and graceful as they spun around, covering the full dance floor. They end the dance with a pretty bow.

Bruno thought the dance had an angelic grace, but there was a slight hesitation in her steps. Carrie Ann saw Joanna's growth into a beauty on the dance floor, she suggests fixing her arm reaches. Len loved the couples hold and posture. He loved the choreography and thought the dance was beautiful. Score: 27 (9,9,9).

Kelly & Louis - Rumba - One of Kelly's dogs had passed away this week. Louis commended her for sucking it up and continuing practice. Kelly wants to make the dance more difficult to prove that she deserves to be in the finals. I'm surprised, when they begin dancing. This isn't the Kelly I remember. She pulled off tricks and looked sexy doing it. Louis is an amazing teacher. Even her solo wasn't as rocky and Louis wasn't holding her. The two end in a sexy pose.

Carrie Ann understood the dance. She understands that Kelly can pull heart strings. Len loved how she grew into a competent dancer, but it wasn't her best. Bruno loved how endearing she is, but points out the lack of eroticism and suggests working on the hips. In the red room, Kelly tells Samantha that she intended to have the dance be more spiritual than erotic to represent her journey. Score: 24 (8,8,8).

Mya & Dmitry - Waltz - Mya decides to get a dry erase board with rules, the most interesting rule was if she messed up, she would have to do push-ups. Mya apparently camped out at the studio. Mya's dance is graceful and not gimmicky. Her stationary spin was beautiful. There was a believability to the dance. Dmitry may have lifted Mya near the end spin, but it wasn't mentioned by Carrie Ann.

Len loved the romance, elegance, and movement. Bruno thought it was love set to music, defying gravity. Carrie Ann loved it, but she thought Mya needed to work on her hold. Score: 28 (9,9,10).

Round Two

Donny & Kym - Samba - Donny's history involved Utah, his Osmond career, and his tight knit family. The real question is why Stevie Wonder was considered part of Donny Osmond's family? Even before the Samba, Donny was sweating. Donny looked like he had rusty joints, but he showed some hips in his solo. He ended the dance with a slide and it looked a little painful.

Bruno saw the effortlessness in the dance. Carrie Ann thought it was better, but she felt it was sloppy. He was dancing small. Len agrees with Bruno, it was a strong recovery from the first dance. Score: 26 (8,9,9).

Joanna & Derek - Cha-Cha - Joanna's history involves communist Poland, the American Dream, and becoming a model. The dance begins with Joanna's solo and it's above average. While I think Joanna's pants did most of the work, her legs moved quickly when she circled Derek. There were a handful of parts where she just stood there, but they played with a lot of slow followed by fast motions which made the dance visually interesting.

Carrie Ann thought she did a great job. Len thought it was clean, but he wanted it to be more cheeky. Bruno thought that the dance had natural sex. He loved watching her evolve and achieve such high standards. Score: 27 (9,9,9).

Kelly & Louis - Quickstep - Kelly's history began with an alternative lifestyle, reality show, drugs, and growth. They quickstep to "99 Red Balloons," something I thought I'd never hear, but the two keeping up with the tempo. Some of the footsteps didn't match perfectly, but their hop sections were clean.

Len thought that the dance was beyond his expectations. Bruno compared her to Speedy Gonzalez. There was one small misstep but everything else was great. Carrie Ann thought she nailed it; it was fabulous. Score: 27 (9,9,9).

Mya & Dmitry - Salsa - Mya's history involved tap dancing, her singing career, and her parents' divorce. Their salsa was sexy and had a grounded feel to it. Their speed was commendable. Her solo was really strong for both her leg work and her amazing hips.

Bruno thought it was sensational. Carrie Ann said it was hot beyond belief and she aced difficult choreography. Len was mesmerized by her bum, but seriously points out that she deserves to be in the finale. Score: 30 (10,10,10).

Round Three - The Knock-out Dances

Donny & Kym - Jitterbug - The jitterbug has energy, but I thought that Donny was a little behind in several of the steps. I loved Kym's cartwheel and the ending was strong.

Carrie Ann thought the dance was good. Len thought the dance was a winner. Bruno thought it was upbeat and vigorous. Score: 27 (9,9,9).

Joanna & Derek - Salsa - There is a fire and a good deal of choreography, but it's not as grounded as Mya's. The arm-work was really strong, and the leg ending was great to watch.

Len thought it was hot tasty and full of spice. Bruno thought it was delicious and flirtatious. Carrie Ann liked the heat and hopes to see her in the finals. Score: 27 (9,9,9).

Kelly & Louis - Cha-Cha - The danced started off a little slow, but gained energy and technique. Her dance seemed even shorter than the previous two.

Bruno thought it worked, her foot precision was good. Carrie Ann loved that she finished her hand work. Len thought all three dances were done at a high level. Score: 27 (9,9,9).

Mya & Dmitry - Cha-Cha - I thought the dance was strong. Mya's legs were great and Dmitry resorted to his So You Think You Can Dance solo technique of ripping his shirt open.

Carrie Ann thought the beginning wasn't as good as the end. Len wanted the performance to be longer. Bruno compared it to a trailer of an action movie, he wanted to see more. Score: 29 (9,10,10).

Final Scores

Mya & Dmitry - 87 (28 + 30 + 29)
Joanna & Derek - 81 (27 + 27 + 27)
Kelly & Louis - 78 (24 + 27 + 27)
Donny & Kym - 74 (21 + 26 + 27)

As much as I had a love/hate relationship with Kelly, I would vote for her because I've fallen in love with Louis van Amstel's teaching and choreography. I would love to see Louis choreograph a freestyle since he never made it to a finale. With four points separating Donny and Kelly, is it enough to save Donny? I do think out of all four contestants, Joanna has the smallest fan base, so unless Hugh Hefner can make all his playmates vote, I could see her get blindsided.

Tomorrow, in a very packed results show we find out that pitchforks and angry mobs actually work: Melissa Rycroft will be performing tomorrow with Tony Dovolani for no real reason.

Who do you think should go and who will go? Leave comments below.

[Catch DWTS episodes on SlashControl]

DB

How rigged is this show!!?? That Osbourne girl & Osmond boy were nothing compared to Joanna, and everybody saw it. Yet Joanna was kicked off???

Shame on the lot of you. What is the point of watching a show after it proves it is catering to big shots!!??

That Osbourne will never amount to anything except being raised by influential parents.

Shameful, shameful, shameful!

November 17 2009 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DB's comment
starky22

Thanks a bunch for spoiling it for those of us who haven't yet seen the results show. This is a review of the performances. You should have saved your comments for the results blog. Nice.

November 17 2009 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

It's interesting that, following your daughter's guidelines, you seem to feel knowledgable enough to talk about Joanna's flaws, but also feel that Kelly's total lack of grace and her heavy footwork should remain unmentioned here. She should stay over Joanna? You are entitled to your opinion, of course, and just for the record, I've read on many sites that Kelly should have been gone weeks ago, except the judges love her and she has a large fan base. Joanna, on the other hand, has received high points from these judges without a large fan base. That speaks volumes.

November 17 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn2

I've read recaps and comments on 3 other sites before reading this one...and interestingly this is the only one where people think Joanna is a good dancer. I'm not a dancer myself but my daughter is a professional dancer who's danced almost every style including ballroom, and she's taught me what to watch for during the show. Using her guidelines, I have to agree with the other 3 sites, Joanna is just not a good dancer. However, Derek is a great choreographer who not only choreographs to highlight the things that his "celebrity" does best, but also makes sure the costuming covers up the flaws (Joanna never points her toes and has stiff legs so he makes sure she wears a longer flowing dress for waltzes and tangos, her arm extensions aren't good, so use a sleeve that takes attention away from it, bad rhythm in hips, use fringed pants to make it look like she's moving more than she is). Mya and Donny are definitely the best dancers left using dance criteria, but then again they both have the most dance experience. I think the trouble with Donny at this point is that his age is catching up with him, and the judges are obviously wanting him gone and are scoring him low and scoring their darling--Joanna too high. They seem to want Kelly in the finals as opposed to Donny. I think I'm done with this show after this season. It's just like American Idol where the judges pick their favorites early on and try to manipulate the voters. I think it should be Mya, Donny, and Kelly in the finals (although Aaron was a better dancer than Joanna and Kelly).

November 17 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brittney

My favorite dancers are Donny and Kelly. I hope none of them get elimanted tonight. But seeing the final scores and seeing my favorite dancers on the bottom isn't looking very good. I have to admit Donny's dances weren't that good and Kelly has definately improved her dances. Then again, not only do judges scores count but our votes as well. I voted twice for both Donny and Kelly. So lets hope all goes well for these two.
I haven't been able to watch the dances when Dancing is on TV due to have to class but I watch the recaps online and then go here for the scores. I can watch Dancing next week though as I'm on my break.

November 17 2009 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly

On talent, Mya, closely followed by Joanna deserve to win.
I'm tired of Kelly and Donny, though I find Donny's self-efacing humor charming, and he is a better showman than the other three. The judges and ABC have been pimping Kelly like nothing I have ever seen in previous seasons. Enough already. I find her likeable and think she has progressed, but agree with other poster that she completely lacks grace and is heavy-footed. Her 9 scores were a mockery of the judging system. I almost feel like DWTS wants her to win because she is so against type and she is "young." We have already had superb "young" winners -- Shawn Johnson and Apollo Anton Ono. Kelly is nowhere near their league. Yeah, I get her self-esteem struggles, but really, is being the indulged daughter in a multi-million dollar music biz family really an example? She is only famous for being famous due to her parents.
At least Mya, Joanna, and even Donny worked their tails off from a very young age to become the professional successes they are today. I think all of them show a work ethic far more admirable than Kell, who needed to be motivated 24/7 by Louis to have the necessary commitment.

November 17 2009 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Holly's comment
Debbie

Holly, Very well said!

November 17 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Donny had a bad night but has consistantly been a better dancer than Kelly. Kelly's feet are clodhoppish and she shows little grace. It would be a shame to see her in the final three.

Donny has done well but is not in the same league as Mya and Joanna. He should go after Kelly.

Joanna is a beautiful, graceful dancer. She and Derek look fantastic on the floor.

Mya will probably win as the judge's seem to have pushed for that all season but her dances are boring. She "steps" very well but there is no excitement watching her.

I'm hoping for a miracle and a Joanna/Derek win. That futuristic Paso Doble was the best dance I've ever seen on DWTS and that dance alone shows they deserve to win this.

November 17 2009 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I think we all know the top 2 (in talent) are Mya & Joanna.
So, going on talent alone, Mya should win, Joanna in 2nd.
I think Derek's fan base has/will help Joanna. As far as the other 2, Donny's dancing has gone downhill lately
(using his song, was this to attract his fans?) and Kelly, although she's come a long way, compared to other past dancers in 3rd place (Melissa, for example) she is no where near their talents. But I too enjoy Louie's choreography and would like to see him (not her) in the finals. And it seems very few 10's were given out compared to seasons past.

November 17 2009 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

I agree, if Joanna doesn't make it through it will be a travesty because she is definitely one of the top two dancers. I hope Kelly goes because although her story is sweet, she is not as good as the other three. I actually fear that Donny and Kelly are going to be in the final two because of their fanbases and that Mya and Joanna will be robbed. We shall see.

November 17 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I'd like to see them go with judges only at this level, although that would make the second show of the week a moot point. Fans, fans, fans. I hope Derek gets through so we can see some stylistic choreography. Realistically, the lack of a fan base can sink them. So sad

November 17 2009 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply