September 17, 2014

Remembering The Star Wars Holiday Special, even if we really don't want to

by Danny Gallagher, posted Nov 17th 2009 7:03PM

A long time ago (well, 31 years ago) in a galaxy far, far away (Television City isn't technically a different galaxy, unless you consider TV producers to be people who don't spend much time on planet Earth), an evil was unleashed upon the human race.

Today marks the 31st anniversary of the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, a Christmas not-so-spectacular roasted by critics including some here at TV Squad years after it hit the air and even some of the franchise's most ardent fans.

That also includes George Lucas who once remarked at an Australian convention that he wished he could buy up all of the world's remaining copies of the show and smash them into oblivion with a sledgehammer. I wonder if 31 years from now, he'll be saying the same thing about Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace?

Of course, such a pipe dream isn't possible thanks to technological marvels like the Internet. You can watch the entire special posted at Google Video and embedded after the jump. TV Squad will not be held liable for any unexplained eye bleeding or piercing brain pain from its unbelievable badness.

Bearxor

If something is bad by Lucas' standards, it's always going to be unwatchable for the general public.

November 19 2009 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

okay I am gonna watch it - my first time ever,
OH MY GOD !! - Chewbacca's family, UGH !!!!
Bea Arhtur was a really tall built woman, is she playing Chewbacca's wife ?? Good thing Chewbacca's wife is wearing that apron, could you imagine the food she'd have to comb out LOL oh a wookie taking out the garbage LOL, umm was that the Cirque du Soleil dancing on the table top ? WOW!!! a unfunny Harvey Korman, how sad. LOL Chewbacca's wife finally turned off that cooking show LOL oh god, a wookie + Diahann Carroll in a sex fantasy. Wookie-Ookies ??? NICE a promo for Sunday night's line-up of 60minutes, All in the Family, Alice, and Dallas. Oh Harvey Korman and another unfunny segment *yawn* Bea Arthur as a Barmaid LOL hmm funny I didn't mind the Bea Arthur Barsong. And now Leia sings. I am surprised Charo didn't pop up in a uncredited scene LOL well Happy Life Day everyone :) the best part of watching this was towards the end and seeing some of the Star Wars toys from Kenner I was like OH ! OH! OH! I had those Kenner action figures and they all went into the case shaped as Darth Vader's head, I had the x-wing fighter & tie fighter, the land speeder and that death star space station NOW only if I still had them all.

November 18 2009 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

http://www.rifftrax.com offers a Rifftrax commentary timed to the Google Video, in which they riff the commericials right along with the terrible, terrible show. Even with the Rifftrax, it's still almost unwatchable.

November 18 2009 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

The most interesting thing about the special were the commercials from the 70s. Tobor is robot spelled backwards. Classic! And a series called Flying High about flight attendants?

November 18 2009 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Yep, I watched it back in high school... I don't even know what to say to this day.

And even in the animated segment, the only praised part of the whole damn special, what's up with Han Solo's face?

November 17 2009 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I am ashamed to admit that I saw it. I was so excited that it was going to be on, and my then husband and I sat down to watch it, eagerly, as we were huge fans of Star Wars. Sigh. We sat through the whole thing, cringing, not looking at each other. We didn't talk about it much. I remember parts of it to this day.

November 17 2009 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

I don't think any human has watched the entire thing... unless in some sort of Clockwork Orange scenario. In which case that person would've bludgeoned themselves shortly after being released from the chair.

Strangely enough, Flickchart just added the special to their database of films. So, go bump it to your #999th favorite film spot!:

November 17 2009 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Wow, I've never had the distinct...opportunity to watch the whole thing. Before this I had only been able to cringe through clips of the show.

November 17 2009 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply