October 23, 2014

Sarah Palin on Oprah and the blinking of her eyes

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 17th 2009 4:29PM
sarah_palin_glasses_pinI watched The Oprah Winfrey Show yesterday to see the one on one between two of the most powerful and influential women in America. Whether you're a fan of Oprah Winfrey or Sarah Palin, there was no doubt that they command a large chunk of public opinion. How could I not see what they would be like in an interview setting?

My impression was that they both were completely civil and reserved. I didn't pick up the makings of a great friendship, not that that was likely considering Oprah's support for President Obama.

Still, what I found interesting was that if you read the body language experts, they're reporting that Sarah was not nervous. They're coming to that conclusion based on her ability to control her blinking. Over-blinking mean you're agitated and a normal blink per minute rate -- 30-40 blinks -- is normal. Sarah was blinking normally.

The body language experts also thought her posture indicated deference to Oprah and they saw her entrance as uncertain. I disagree with the latter. In my view, Sarah came out very confidently and she hugged Oprah before Oprah hugged her.

Here's what I picked up and this is not based on any body language, just my impression. Sarah Palin was not comfortable. She was on guard. I don't blame her. After her travails with the media, she should be on guard. Oprah wasn't aggressive or nasty to warrant that stance, but I think it was more that Sarah has been burned and she's learned to keep her dukes up. That makes her smart.

But because of that wariness, the interview was a bit of a bust. I didn't hear anything I wasn't expecting to hear and they were very careful to not step on each other's toes. No revelations. No sparks. No bombshells.

So the bottom line for me was this... meh.

P.S. Please note that I did not discuss politics here. Let's not get into that, okay?

Terrell

I'm trying to understand why she evokes such hatred from some. I'm asking the question, but so far not getting much response. Anyone from this community want to chime in?
Either here on this blog or click here for mine. Thanks.

November 21 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Terrell's comment
Terrell

oops, my link didn't work: will try again; http://terrellclemmons.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/oprah-sarah-palin-and-the-rest-of-us/

November 21 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Keller

I think Sara did really well and of course she would be nervous... think about it, who wouldn't be! We need to remember that none of us are perfect and that we should give everyone a chance.
Mike Keller
author
www.lifeinaweek.com

November 19 2009 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

Palin on tv in some capacity is fine and dandy with me. She is a very attractive woman but repulsive at the same time. She would be one heck of a news bunny on Fox. I can see her taking a seat on Fox & Friends. I might tune in once in a while just to see what she is going to say. Not for enlightenment, mind you, rather for entertainment.

November 18 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I dislike Plain intensely. To even think of her as VP or worse yet P, makes me shudder.

That being said, she was in her element on Oprah. Very gracious and natural. She should pursue a talk show. Too bad it would be 60 minutes of nastiness.

November 18 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
just me

I can't imagine Oprah asking tough questions, but for me the ONLY question worth asking-- 'If you plan to run for any office seat in the future, considering you quit before your term was over, how do we know you won't quit again?

November 18 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryBob

All I have to say is that "they" can control their eye blinks when they have to.

November 17 2009 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

"She was on guard. I don't blame her. After her travails with the media, she should be on guard."

I guess they do tend to ask rather difficult questions, such as: "What news periodicals do you read?"

Bad media, bad!

November 17 2009 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

I didn't find it to be a political interview at all. It was what I would have expected from a daytime show which is gossipy, focus on her family, etc. I thought Oprah was respectful and seemed to enjoy the conversation and I think Palin came across as easy going and comfortable. It was fairly boring, though I'm glad to finally be getting Palin's side of the story. "Meh" sums it up well. The substance of Palin's upcoming interviews will happen on the usual suspects Fox commentary shows. I will be looking forward to that with great interest.

November 17 2009 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

Ah, but how many times did she WINK at Queen O and the audience?

November 17 2009 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I don't think "body language" science is all that acurate. Anyone can learn how to "act" a certan way, if they want to. Same thing with handwriting analysis, at least the so-called experts I've heard talk on the subject. Sometimes people are just sloppy writers with really bad handwriting (Me !). There's no hidden agenda there, it's just how it is.

November 17 2009 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply