July 30, 2014

Smallville: Let's talk about that Hawkman photo

by Mike Moody, posted Nov 17th 2009 9:02AM
hawkman smallvilleI'm sure most of you Smallville fans have already seen this preview pic of Michael Shanks as Hawkman, taken from the upcoming Justice Society episode. So why am I posting it here?

Because that photo looks weird, man!

First off, I must say that I'm really looking forward to this Smallville two-parter, and I think Stargate's Shanks is a fine pick to play Carter Hall. Smallville has been a lot of fun to watch this season, and I hope the upswing continues through next year.

Now, back to that photo ... Why does it look like a still image from a video game? Is it a mostly CGI shot? Concept art? Did somebody switch the real photo of Shanks with a fan photo manip? I'm hoping that some of you graphic designer-types can tell me what's really going on here, because ... yeah ... that photo looks weird.

This image also gives us the chance to discuss a very geeky topic: How do you feel about costume-clad heroes showing up on Smallville? By now – with Clark sporting the Super "S" and Oliver's green hood getting more screentime than Ma Kent – we should be used to seeing the characters dress the part.

But Hawkman is an entirely different animal. This isn't a toned down version of a comic book superhero (like the Wonder Twins 2.0 from last week, or last year's colorful but not too crazy looking Legionnaires). This dude's got a ten-foot wingspan! And he's wearing that gold helmet and carrying a giant mace! He's pretty much the comic book character come to life.

Are you cool with that? Or would you have rather seen a more muted version of Hawkman on Smallville? Are you hoping the other Society members will look as fantastical? Or should Smallville's more heroic guest stars look a little more realistic?

Me? I'm liking the more fantastical approach. This is year nine. It's time for Smallville to turn the geek factor up to 11 and become a true super hero show. Anyone agree?

[via: TV Guide]

Tobias

wow...he reminds me of a luchador.

November 18 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

Reason why this photo looks weird: Man in giant Hawk costume.

November 18 2009 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C.A.'s comment
C.A.

I do agree though that Smallville should geek out completely. If this show didn't take itself so seriously it could become one of the gems on network tv. Every time they say "The Blur" part of me dies.

November 18 2009 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Age-K

I watched Smallville when it started in hopes that they would bring other DC characters into the show. It lost me as a viewer when they proved that it would be all angsty sighing between Clark and Lana. By the time they started bringing the DC characters in, I was too far gone to get back into it. But as this has become a slightly more regular occurrence, I've been trying to catch all of those episodes, and I have really enjoyed them. It makes me want to go back and try to find any others that I missed. And I'm a big fan of seeing the costumes that at least resemble those worn in the comics, so bring 'em on! Not a big fan of Clark's black trenchcoat getup though.

November 17 2009 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

i think it's just the lighting and post production film processing that gives the screen capture such an artificial look.
it also looks a little like a HDR photo, do a google image search on HDR and you'll see how fake real objects can look just by manipulating the range of lighting in the photo.

November 17 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply