September 22, 2014

Aaron Sorkin returning to television

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 18th 2009 4:29PM
Aaron SorkinIn last week's TV Squad Podcast, I mentioned how I liked Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It was a show with a ton of flaws, but it was also well-written and had a ton of potential. After it ended, Sorkin fans (even the ones who didn't like the show) were wondering "what will he do on TV next?" Well, we might have our answer.

Over at TV Guide magazine, Sorkin says that his next show will once again (like Studio 60 and Sports Night) be set in the world of television, a behind-the-scenes look at...something. He doesn't say what the show will be, but when Studio 60 ended there was talk that he would do a show set at a fictional cable news channel. Considering that all of Sorkin's shows have had some sort of news and/or political side, this seems like a natural. He'll be able to talk about all of the things he wants to talk about in a setting like that.

Sorkin says that he will start working on the show when filming of The Social Network, the big screen movie about the start of Facebook, is over. I can't wait.

chris

Seriously Studio 60 Epic Fail.

Facebook movie who knows what that will do at the Box office.

His time has probably come.

November 19 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Don't really think it will be all that soon that this happens. Mr. Sorkin has a bunch of other movies after facebook (Moneyball, The Challenge...). But, long ago on his facebook page he did mention that he would like, when he can get back to tv, to do a backstage at an Olberman countdown type show.

November 19 2009 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacey

I also enjoyed Studio 60 as I found it entertaining to see the interactions among the great cast of characters. If that is included in Sorkin's next show, I'll definitely tune in to watch.

November 18 2009 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

I love Sorkin's work, and will tune-in to anything he makes, but Studio 60 failed to get an audience because of how pretentious it was. I wish I didn't have to be so harsh, but it was. I can't imagine what kind of disaster this will be if he doesn't tone it down this time.

November 18 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Ah Bob.... you break good news to us, but of course, this is TVSquad and you just uttered the magic words: Aaron Sorkin. Cue the Sarah Paulsen/Studio 60/WW comments!

November 18 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

If Sorkin can put aside his blatant political bias, people might watch. His last show was more like a lecture than an entertainment show... which is why people tuned out.

And with Democrats in control, he won't have anyone to bash.

November 18 2009 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply