November 26, 2014

OK, maybe that Martha Stewart/Rachael Ray feud is real

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 18th 2009 6:00PM
Rachael, MarthaI watched Martha Stewart on Rachael Ray last week and then Rachael on Martha the following day, and both shows were interesting. I noticed that Rachael had Martha sit down and talk and take questions, but Martha got Rachael in the kitchen baking right away with little small talk. The funniest moment came from Rachael's show: when both came out of the elevator, Rachael tried to grab Martha's hand but Martha pulled it away quickly. Ha!

Anyway, they talked about the so-called "feud" that had been reported everywhere, and both dismissed it. I don't know how you can dismiss something that Martha herself said on her own show (among other things) but they said there was no truth to any feud rumors. I wonder what they'll say after Martha's appearance on Nightline tomorrow night.

Stewart recalls that Rachael told her on the air that she can't bake (something anyone who watches Rachael regularly already knew), and says "that's not good enough for me." She calls Rachael "more of an entertainer" and that Rachael's new book is "just a re-edit of a lot of her old recipes." She calls her own books a "unique and lasting thing" but says that Rachael's books are "different."

Now, I'm sure that these words weren't said with venom, but still, aren't those kinda cutting words for someone, especially when you were just on their show? Rachael's response is to just say that Martha does have more talent than her and that she'd rather eat Martha's food, too.

Note: I have no idea why the Nightline site calls the Martha interview "the first television interview since serving five months in prison in 2004." I'm pretty sure she's given, what, dozens of TV interviews in the past five years?

Teresa

I love both Martha and Rachael and watched when they were on each other's shows. I think Rachael was more gracious to Martha when Martha visited her show. Frankly I was more than a little shocked by Martha's digs to Rachael. They may have been unintentional, but Martha certainly gave the impression that she does not like Rachael, nor respect her talent. The one comment that stood out, was when Martha was teaching Rachael her pie recipe, I believe that Rachael called the pie crust leaves "little dudes." Martha's response was something like, "if I ever start talking like that, please somebody sew my lips shut." It was such a rude comment to her guest, somebody whom been so gracious to her the day before. I think it really shocked me because I generally think of Martha as a classy lady. Her comments regarding Rachael and her cookbooks are anything but classy. Rachael may not live up to Martha's lofty ideals of kitchen perfection, but Rachael's response to Martha was perfection. Martha should take notes from Rachael on what being a classy lady is all about. I still love Martha, but I think she's wired a little tight. Now, I love Rachael just a little more.

November 22 2009 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

It's Rachael and Rachael said she would rather eat at Martha's. I like them both. They both have alot to offer.

I don't think Martha is 82. LOL.

November 20 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl

Wait, Rachel Ray entertains people? I thought we sent her in to teach Norriega to cook, forcing his surrender...

November 19 2009 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I don't like Ray. I'm still not sure how she got a show, since she admits she isn't a cook. She grates on my nerves. I like Martha. I don't watch her show every day, but when I do, she always has something on that I like, and I've tried a lot of her things. Thanks to her, I found a great company for plants, Logee, and her sugar cookie recipe I have used for years. I tried her mom's hot cross bun recipe this year. Yum. I bake more because of her. My family is happy. And hey, she likes the same breed of horses that I do. Fresians.

November 19 2009 at 8:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whereistdimeo

Of course Martha has more talent, she's been at it far longer than Rachael. That little daring RR has got to be half Martha's age.

November 18 2009 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Adler

My spot analysis indicates that both woman are strong and brilliant in their own way and have worked their way arduously up the ranks to wealth and stardom. Book smart and shrewdness has to go to Martha because her ring was Wall Street while respectfully in comparison Rachel began her career in more mundane settings. I do not think there is any feud except the kind generated by publicity,just like Kanye and Taylor did it and then profited. Jay Adler Comment

November 18 2009 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I'm sure you meant to write "...Martha does have more talent than she..." because I'm sure you speak correctly and understand the rules of grammar. Try to write correctly as well. You are judged by the way you speak, or in your case, how poorly you write.

November 18 2009 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I'm up in the air about this. A couple months ago a food network chef attacked another food network chef for her budget recipes, which I thought was out of the blue and unnecessary.

However, with MS/RR I'm in between. Considering MS sees baking as a hinge point for the domestic arts, I can see her horror at RR for not spending time on it, especially as a public cook appealing to a normal public audience. Although Martha now relies on staff for original recipe/craft ideas , back in the day she did it herself. And, even now, she controls the final product. So, considering people view RR as the modern-day Martha, I could see Martha's horror that RR doesn't put as much effort into it. Although, technically, they do the same thing - putting out cookbooks, magazines and bakeware with their names on it, Rachel's items are marketed in her name, while Martha controls the product and its quality. So, perhaps Martha's also concerned at the lack of business control on RR's side.

While I think the remark is ungracious, I wonder if it's taken out of context. Was she prompted? Were multiple questions asked to draw out additional comments? Also, did she actually say something complimentary about RR in between her criticisms? On the one hand, they're harsh, but they're honest and not as virulent as the other Food network host. In a way, I think it's refreshing to see criticism without the typical celebrity gloss brush. Sure, female personalities are supposed to be demure and quiet, in contrast to the directness of the world's Anderson Coopers, but I'm glad MS is going against the grain.

November 18 2009 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather Weir

Martha is not a happy person. Rachel's happiness is infectious. She has a talent Martha will never have: that of hospitality which the dictionary defines as "the reception and entertainment of guests or strangers with liberality and kindness."
Rachel is interested in teaching regular women to enjoy cooking wonderfully comforting meals for loved ones. Martha is all about competition in her cooking. She sells the message that cooking is about impressing or even intimidating your guests with fancy expensive ingredients and over the top cooking skill.
I would rather eat at Rachel's house any day.

November 18 2009 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply