October 22, 2014

NBC dusts off Trauma's corpse

by Danny Gallagher, posted Nov 20th 2009 12:38PM
Oh my God! It's a zombie! Quick! Get a shovel or something heavy that will remove a human head or destroy its brain! Yes, TV shows can become zombies too.

NBC has revived its once doomed drama Trauma giving it a full 13 episode order plus a few more after they canceled it last month.

What made the network breathe life back into the expensive action drama? Apparently the show saw a brief boost in the ratings and NBC had a change of heart, assuming of course that they have one in the first place.

btarlinian

I'm so pumped. I religiously watch this show twice on Hulu. I was extremely surprised when this show got canceled and Mercy was picked up. Mercy is absolute trash in comparison (at least when comparing pilots), the nurses are the most unlikable main leads I've ever seen. A woman trying to justify cheating on her fiance, a unabashed gold-digger and a poor little newbie, why could you possibly like characters like that? (And then they all whine about how their life sucks.) Trauma is pretty heavy on the "let's make stuff explode," but the show doesn't use that as a cheap excuse for good characters and good writing. I'm very happy it got a pickup.

November 21 2009 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AnneLaurie

Great news! The show has been growing on me -- sure, the first couple episodes tended to overdo the expensive Things-Go-Boom ratio, but as more details about the characters and the interactions are revealed, it's the actors and the stories that keep me coming back. I'm glad it will get another chance, however slim, to turn into a long-running ER-type series.

November 20 2009 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GemmaDine

Alright this is great news!!!

I must be one of the very few who says after each episode "why are they cancelling it?"

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

November 20 2009 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GemmaDine's comment
jdm1114

I agree.. the writing is terrific and the acting and characters are much more developed and likeable....nbc did this show a dis service by placing it on monday nights opposite football and the strong cbs comedies...placing it on tues or wed nights would have been a much better programming move.... they wasted all that great promotion they got in nbc's sunday night football games.

November 26 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elyse

Noooooo! Drive a stake through its heart! Kill it! Kill it! Lord, it was an awful show. What could be worse??

November 20 2009 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Elyse's comment
thatgurl

Mercy

November 26 2009 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I'm probably one of the biggest Life fans you'll find, but it did get a second season that the ratings didn't necessarily justify.

And I disagree with the sentiment that Trauma wasn't a good show. Other than Glee, it was my favorite new show this year.

November 20 2009 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

Once I got word it was cancelled, I removed it from my DVR. Am I disappointed it's gone? Meh. I think someone said it best. Make the show all about Rabbit, and I'd be back.

November 20 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Deezul's comment
Brian

Yeah, at first, I thought I was going to hate Rabbit, but he's my favorite character on the show.

The show is ok and I enjoy watching it, but if it was cancelled, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

November 20 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

i love trauma, im also training to be an EMT so its cool to see a show about it

November 20 2009 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thepassenger

Maybe the change of heart was predicated on a good hard look at whatever program they were planning on replacing Trauma with.

And Europa, I second your sentiment on Life--I was just thinking this morning how much I still miss it. I don't understand why it couldn't have moved over to USA.

November 20 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

It's not a very good show IMO but, I am glad that all the people here in San Francisco who have employment because of the show will get to keep their jobs - at least for a while longer. :) I just whish NBC was so forgiving for the really good shows that actually deserve/deserved savings like "Life."

November 20 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
David Holtzinger

I agree with your sentiment about 'Life'. It was a very good show. I still have the last episode on my DVR and will watch it every once in a while. Such great characters, a really good show. Trauma on the other hand sucked so bad that I quit watching/recording it. I have a voracious appetite for TV drama I'm one of those that record 6 hours of primetime drama each night, and go on line the next day to catch those programs I couldn't record. But even I can't stomach the melodrama of Trauma. Since NBC is going to bet it will get better I'll give it another shot but don't think it will be good enough for me to keep watching. Mercy on the other hand, I like.

November 21 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply