November 22, 2014

ABC fires All My Children head writer Chuck Pratt

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 21st 2009 9:02AM
all_my_children_logoWithin a few weeks, All My Children will be turning over a new leaf, officially making the move west to new studios in Los Angeles. Most actors are making the move. Some are not. And today ABC informed the head writer, Charles Pratt Jr., that he's been let go. If he had his suitcases packed, well, sorry about that.

Chuck Pratt was hired with some fanfare in June 2008. He was a big hire because his resume is filled with flashy successes, including Desperate Housewives, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills 90210, Ugly Betty, Santa Barbara and General Hospital, among others. Pratt was supposed to revive All My Children to its former luster, but -- alas -- it hasn't happened.

It's hard to say exactly what went wrong, but some of Pratt's seminal changes in the show have not been greeted with fan support. It was Pratt's decision to kill off Adam's sweet twin brother Stuart, a character that defined the word beloved when you're talking about Pine Valley characters. The reveal took months to unfold and it's been pretty torturous.

Fans on the message boards are thrilled with the news of Pratt's exit. They've been ticked off with his storylines and, apparently, the idea of a new writer guiding the new West Coast AMC is a popular one. Who that new head writer is, however, has yet to be announced.

Kathy

It's true that the main characters of the show have ben upstaged by newcomers, & that's been happening ever since "THE KENDALL SHOW" started. I can understand if Susan Lucci needs her time off, but Kendall has been front & center for years now, & I'm sorry, but she is NOT as endearing as Erica or ANY of the past cast of women. And this Annie thing is beyond old. Even when they bring Bianca back from time to time, you feel like-"That's it, finally!-a real Pine Valley resident is back... bringing Jesse back was the smartest move they've made since Tad came back. Dr. Joe Martin needs to be seen more, & yes, Erica needs to be her friggin age, not bed down with Ryan for gods sake! When I saw that storyline developing, I couldn't believe it.
I think the writers are trying to bring in younger viewers, but really, soaps are passed on to family members through loyalty to the show by viewers like me, since 1973.Writers need to realise that.
I agree too, that killing off Stuart was really stupid, & amazingly, we got to see Marian at the funeral, when we would have loved to see them & their marraige all along.
I hope the new writers go back to the original Pine Valley & the stories of the families, stop bringing in who we don't care about, & bring back as many of the cast as possible to be matriarchs of those families.
Dr. Joe Martin & Adam Chandler are the only ones now-since Erica is never going to become an elder apparently. God forbid they continue trying to make Kendall the key female in Erica's place, that SHOULD be Bianca. And ALL the children from the key families should be running the show.
Hopefully we never lose Michael Knight. He as Tad, is the best actor on soaps, bar none. {no pun intended.} He is rare in that he brings life to his character & has never lost the sense of humor, wit & individuality that makes him great over the years, never scripted he seems, & more gorgeous with time. Team him with Jesse in a real storyline & youv'e got something there, guaranteed. And thank god-Dixie FINALLY died. They beat that dead horse as much as with THE KENDALL SHOW"...
If there were reruns of the 1970's shows til now, I'd watch 'em all. The new writers should too!

January 23 2010 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shlepper2

I think the Amanda character didn't sign on for a permanent role. I think she is only going to be on an as needed basis because she really wanted out to go to LA to try her wings at prime time roles. This was the last I had heard of her character. I think she is good with Jake, but I agree she cries way too much. They say that's a sign of a good actess. She has had plenty of practise for sure!

January 17 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shlepper2

I sure hope the new head writer gets it right this time. I love All My Children and it's the last of the ABC soaps I still watch. I once watched from Ryan's Hope all the way through to Dark Shadows! and this was before DVR'S... Can't imagine how I got through college with so much TV watching. The show has gotten really bad the last few years. Why the old men young women and visa versa is so appealing to writers is beyond me. It's gross. A few years maybe but not 30+ yr. differences. Getting rid of favorite long time actors is another big no no. (Unless it's the actors that want out) Please get it right this time. We need some escape from our real lives these days. romance and shorter story lines that have happy endings is what we want with so much turmoil in our real world.

January 17 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAWNDY

WOW I WAS WONDERING WHY AMC HAS BEEN SUCKING!! AND WHY COULDNT ANYONE STOP PRATT FROM SHOOTING STUART????? WHY DID THEY DO SOMETHING SO STUPID. HE WAS SUCH A HUGE PART OF AMC WHENEVER HE'D SHOW UP U ALWAYS HAD TO SMILE HE WAS SO INNOCENT AND THEN TO MAKE ADAM BE THE KILLER??? WHAT WAS THE WHOLE PURPOSE? THAT WHOLE STORY LINE GOT US WHERE? NO WHERE...... AND NOW NOMORE STUART :o*( AND OMG I AM SICKENED THAT THEY MADE ANNIE SUCH A MAJOR PART OF MY AMC!! I HATE HER YOU JUST WANNA SMASH HER FACE THEY MADE HER BIGGER THEN ANY CHARACTER ON THE WHOLE SHOW SHES WON OVER EVERYONE? WHY? I MEAN SHES BEEN BEING BIGGER THEN ERICA TAD ETC ALL THE OLDIES WE LOVE ...WHO DECIDED TO MAKE HER GOD OVER THE ENTIRE SHOW GETTING HER WAY OVER EVERYTHING?? I HOPE IT WAS PRATT AND NOW THAT WILL CHANGE PUT HER BACK TO THE LOWLY CHARACTER SHE WAS WITH THAT HORRENDOUS WART ON HER GIGANTIC LIPS SO UNPLESANT TO LOOK AT UGH!!! SO GLAD HE WAS FIRED!! JUST HAVE TO HOPE NOW....WHO THEY HIRED FINALLY GETS THIS SHOW WINNING SOME EMMYS. EVERY YEAR DONT HAVE TO BOTHER WATCHING THE DAYTIME EMMYS CUZ NOONE IS EVER NOMINATED FROM THE SHOW AND IF THEY ARE THEY DONT WIN. EXCEPT DAVID FINALLY WON. BUT ALLTHE OTHER SOAPS WINS TONS..AMC....NUTTIN!!!!
I HATE THEY MADE ALL THE NEW YORKERS HAVE TO LEAVE THEIR HOME ...ESP POOR ERICA!!! ITS A NYC SHOW ITS NOT A LA SHOW!!!!! BEEN WATCHING SINCE DAY ONE AND ITS BEEN SUCKING REALLY BAD LAST FEW YEARS HOPE A GOOD CHANGE IS COMING AND THEY PUT ADAMS LITTLE CHILDISH LOVER ANNIE IN A COMA FOR A FEW YRS. I MEAN SHE WAS EVEN BEING A MOM PUTTING HER KID ON THE STAND? AND SOOOO GROSS TO SEE SUCH AN OLD MAN KISSING ETC WITH A GIRL YOUNGER THEN A DAUGHTER!! GROSS! YOUR RIGHT PRATT DEF MADE THE SHOW LOOK BAD!!! AND CHARACTERS SO UNREAL TO BELIEVE!!! OBVIOUSLY TOO HE HAD A CRUSH ON ANNIE CUZ HE MADE HER THE MAIN CHARACTER FOR MONTHS NOW AND THE WINNER NO MATTER WHAT CAME HER WAY!! LOL CAN YA TELL I HATE HER??? AND POOR AMANDA I DONT THINK THERE IS ONE SINGLE EPISODE THAT SHES EVER HAPPY SHE CONSTANTLY CRYING!! GRRRR AND JUST PLAIN STUPID STUPID STUPID HOW THEY MADE AIDAN WHO I LOVED JUST BECOME A ROTTEN PERSON?? IN ALL THE YRS HE WAS ON HE WAS A GREAT GUY TO DO WHAT HE DID TO KENDAL WAS JUST INSANE AND SOOOOOO UNBELIEABLE!!!! NO WONDER THE SHOW IS NEVER NOMINATED ITS SO UNBELIEABLE!!

January 01 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett

Rodney is correct on unreal. Tad commits homicide and gets away with it. The police chief covers up a murder and gets away with it. Zack commits kidnapping and torture and gets away with it and keeps Kendall out of jail and gets away with it. Adam kills his brother and everybody blames Annie and torments her for 6 months. Ryan should be horse whipped and Kendall is a slut. These story lines have conclusions based on whether or not the actor has women going "ga ga" over them. And Erica is getting down right sickening, she's not a teenager anymore.

January 01 2010 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I'm glad that they are getting rid of Charles Pratt. Cause he makes TV seem unreal. And when his writings doesn't blend in with the philosophy of real life, then it makes people want to take a pistol and blow their tv set right off the wall. You know what I mean?
Don't put all this unreal garbage in these shows. When I'm watching a movie. There is always a resolutional conclusion. They get their Mann all the time. You digg? When catching up with corruption
But In Soaps, it ain''t like that.I know it takes a long time for a resolution. But they always fix it where they put the blame on the wrong people. They let the cops get away with things they would never get away with in real life.
This is the New Generation, you need to take heed to that. And deliver the right messages. And stop all this unreal trash.
If you want to portray a Law Enforcer. Then have him act like one. And not some moron who feeds into corruption, and cover ups.
If that's the case, they should've portrayed Jessie as an Business Repres. or something, and not an law enforcer.
I rather see regular Civilians do unlawful things than a law enforcer. And Pratt is making the show look bad.
Goodbye Charles Pratt

December 10 2009 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Killing off Adam's sweet twin brother Stuart was wrong. He was the most endearing character and humanized Adam.

November 22 2009 at 3:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dirk Mancuso

Charles Pratt has pretty much ruined every show he's ever written so while his being let go is no surprise, the bigger one is why he's allowed to wreak the damage he does on these innocent shows...

November 21 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

I miss Ryan's Hope

November 21 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sir Yuck-Yuck's comment
Teresa

Ryan's Hope was my fave soap. There will never be another like it.
Ciao

November 22 2009 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amanda4801

My greatest wish is to hear the words: ABC fires Bob Guza. He ruined the GH I loved for 40 years.

November 21 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply