September 18, 2014

That's why I recognize Brick from The Middle!

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 21st 2009 2:09PM
atticus_shaffer_brickYou know how sometimes you see an actor or actress and they look so familiar, but you can't remember where you saw him or her, or what the TV show was? That's how I've been with the little boy who plays Brick on The Middle. His name is Atticus Shaffer, and since the ABC sitcom began this fall, I've been scratching my head over him. Where did I see him before?

Turns out that it was on a commercial for AIG. Yes, AIG, that huge insurance company that was a big part of the economic collapse. The company that was too big for America to let fail.

Well, this commercial from two years ago tells a different story. In fact, it implies that AIG is all the security any family will ever need. Take a look:

You know, just a couple of years later and I'd say that Atticus Shaffer is doing a heck of a lot better than AIG! While the company is embarrassed by the bailout, little Atticus has become one of the stars of a terrific new comedy series.

It's interesting to watch this commercial and realize that it plays almost like an audition for The Middle. The kid in the spot could be Brick -- although if it were, he'd take a word like liability and whisper it to himself... "liability."

You wonder if the casting folks at The Middle watched this one commercial and said, "That's it! We found our Brick. Call off the nationwide search."

Yeah, I'm sure it was just like that.

Buck Smith

He looks like he could be Pee Wee Herman's love child.

January 27 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rs

I don't understand why Modern Family gets all the glory when I personally think that this is the best new show of the season. I have fallen in love with "Brick" I remember that AIG commercial but didn't make the connection.

I believe they are using a double for him when he has to do scenes where he does a lot of walking. Always wearing a large hooded coat and they never show his face when he is walking. I really hope he is ok.

January 08 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Telechimp

you also recognize him because he's a carbon copy of Dewey from 'Malcolm in the Middle'

November 23 2009 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Telechimp's comment
monzanet

Absolutely

December 17 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adarkwaterfae

He's a good actor... and he is eccentric enough to make himself and the show hilarious...

November 22 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I had a similar moment with Danny Pudi, who plays Abed on Community. I kept going "I know that guy", and this week it finally clicked - he was the "butt dialer" in that T-Mobile Blackberry Pearl Flip commerical.

November 22 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RobynM's comment
Pingles

Woah, nice find! Although that ad was quite silly his performance in it always made me chuckle.

November 22 2009 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

He was also in "Hancock" in the beginning; he woke Hancock up when he was sleeping on the bench and he told him about the bad guys.

November 21 2009 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kat's comment
MCW

Also My Name is Earl. That was a funny episode :)

November 21 2009 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dutchy

Wasn't the pilot for The Middle made in 2007? It had a different cast, except for Atticus.

November 21 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gian Piero

He also was in an episode of "The Class", and he did a great job in the short scene he had!

November 21 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply