October 1, 2014

Who's the top football broadcaster on TV today?

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 22nd 2009 1:03PM
gary_danielson_cbsWhat does it say about the state of television broadcasting when the voice of television football is a guy who's voice is indiscernible? Is there really nobody that's filled the void since John Madden stopped acting out in the booth with the booms and the pows and the turducken and horse trailer references? Afraid so. According to Sporting News' list of the Top 25 Football Broadcasters in America, CBS football broadcaster Gary Danielson is number one.

Sporting News used a measuring system based on fan reaction and the input of its reporters and editors (including SportsBusiness Journal/SportsBusiness Daily), and despite the fact that Danielson's voice is pretty much just like Bob Griese's (I always confuse the two), he's considered the best because "he explains it before most of us have seen it." That's on target. He is pretty smart, just unmemorable.

Not surprisingly, number two and three on the list are NBC's Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels. They have the biggest platform. Phil Simms, the top dog on CBS's NFL games was four, but in my estimation, he's closest to the Madden style -- personality plus football intelligence.

Fox's Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, as well as ABC/ESPN's Ron Franklin and Kirk Herbstreit made the Top 10.

This is an uninspiring list. Maybe these networks should pull some of the high priced analysts in the studios -- guys like Tiki Barber, Dan Patrick, Mark Schlereth, Mike Golic -- and get them into the booth. Or go out and find some characters with voices.

steveo

Fouts is pretty good, as is Jaws. Whoever the best is, the whole lot is infinitely better now that Kornheiser has departed the booth.

November 24 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

Collingsworth SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS....he is the worst.

Who is somehow absent is John Gruden, former Tampa Bay coach who started on ESPN Monday Night Football this year.

Gruden is EXCELLENT. Yes, of course its cliche, but Gruden really is the best thing since Madden. Like Madden he is a former coach and really really knows the game inside and out.

Check him out monday, and see how fun it is to have him there and his great commentary.

November 23 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

Can we stop comparing every anouncer to John Madden? Madden was a joke and a distraction for the last fifteen or so years he was on the air and I dont think many people really miss him. Usually, when Madden was calling a game, I would mute the sound so I didnt have to listen to him blabbering on and on about silly stuff. He wouldnt really get interested in the games until the playoffs started anyway.
Troy Aikman is my favorite announcer. I also like Al Michaels, Chris Collinsworth and Brian Billick. The current MNF crew is pretty good, but not great. At last they have a crew that focuses on the game and has a good time doing it together. I almost stopped watching MNF when they had Dennis Miller, then Tony Kornheiser. My least favorite, by a mile, is Tony Siragusa. He has this gimmick where he is roaming about the field, but interacts with the broadcast crew as if he were in the booth with them. He tries to act like he is a flake or a screwball, but he is really very annoying and adds nothing to the game or the broadcast. Mostly he is just embarassing.

November 23 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I am not familiar with Danielson's work, but I can tell you that Collinsworth and Michaels are terrible -- just ahead of Dierdork at the bottom of my own list.

Best in the business? Boomer Esiason is great -- ever heard him call MNF on the radio? -- as are Gruden and Simms.

November 23 2009 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

My least favourite thing about American football (and the NFL in particular) is the lack of passionate commentary by the announcers. The game is already pretty boring as it is (unless you get a match-up like last week's Colts-Patriots tilt), and when you add monotone commentary, it's just painful to watch.

As a Canadian, I watch a lot of CFL football (in fact, every game), and the best commentator is TSN's Chris Cuthbert. He's also a great play-by-play guy for the NHL, working on both TSN and NBC. In my opinion, he's the best play-by-play guy in all of sports. He knows his stuff, but he also gets a bit excited on big plays, which when you're not there in person, at least brings some emotion to the games.

November 22 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett

This has to be a joke. I watch a lot of SEC football on CBS and I find the pairing of Danielson and Lundquist to be unbearable. Danielson constantly tries to point out the obvious as if no one watching understands. I think that is what they mean by pointing it out before some sees it. He points it out for newcomers not people that watch it more than once a season.

November 22 2009 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

who is gary danlieson? does he call the oakland raiders games?

November 22 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edward's comment
Dave

Seriously. Who is this guy? I've never heard of him. Is he some kind of regional college announcer or something?
The best football announcer is Troy Aikman.

November 22 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Per the terms of the NFL TV contract, broadcast teams may not include any individual who knows the rules of football.

November 22 2009 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply