American Music Awards: J.Lo falls, Adam Lambert freaks out parents

by Kona Gallagher, posted Nov 23rd 2009 10:04AM
adam lambertI had the American Music Awards on last night in the background, and for the most part it looked like a pretty standard awards show: People wore pretty dresses, played pianos suspended by wires, wore more makeup than their wives (I'm looking at you, Keith Urban), and simulated oral sex. Wait-- what?

Yeah, so for once, Lady Gaga's performance, which involved smashing a plate-glass window and setting a piano on fire wasn't the most interesting performance of the night. Instead, everyone is talking about two people: Jennifer Lopez and Adam Lambert. Lopez's unfortunate fall during her performance of "Louboutins" probably mortified her, but it wasn't the most awkward thing to happen during the ceremony. That distinction goes to American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert's decidedly non-family-friendly performance.

You can check out both videos after the jump.

Honestly, Lopez should have known better: If you're going to climb onto the back of a half-naked gentleman and jump onto a stage that's slick with sweat, body glitter and desperation, then you need to wear sensible shoes, and not the Louboutins about which you are singing.

Watch more YouTube videos on AOL Video

Lambert's performance is the one that's really going to get people talking today: His performance of "For Your Entertainment" starts out racy, but in a "half-naked men and women writhing around on the floor" kind of way that is typical for award show performances. It isn't until we get about a minute in that things get different: he starts leading around a man on a leash, and then at about 1:10, the craziness happens.

What's really funny to me about this whole thing is that you can practically hear the freak out that's going on in the director's booth when this happens. "Oh crap, oh no. Cut to a wide shot. SHOW THE AUDIENCE! Okay, good. Now show the drummer. The drummer isn't doing anything awkward, right? Show him for a little while. Okay, what's Lambert doing? Is it safe? Ah, okay. Cut back to him: but keep your finger on the button!"

It's been less than a year since we first heard Lambert's name. He's new on the scene and wanted to make a big splash. Mission Accomplished.

Watch more YouTube videos on AOL Video

Johnny D

I'm not into the whole gay thing or the belief that two men should be legally considered husband and wife or husband and husband...come on...but Iwill say this...if two girls can kiss (which I'd much rather see anyways) then it should be ok for two guys to. This IS america damn it! And as sure as I can be against gay marriage and that be ok so should it that two guys can kiss. If my son ever became gay and did that I'd personally kick his ars!! Hey check out the most talented/gifted singer to not make it to Simon 3 times. There IS a scandal at the prelimnary judging level of Idol. Go to youtube and check out Danicashirey and let me know if you think I'm right. I mean David Foster (yes 14 grammys) recently hand picked DaNica to perform with him ... twice!!!!!!!!!

January 14 2010 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny D

The biggest scandal is the preliminary judging of Idol. The judges absolutely SUCK! Hardly ANY of them are even remotely qualified to search for talent. Check out DaNica Shirey at youtube (Danicashirey)and you'll see what I mean. I mean when a girl THIS good doesn't even get to see Simon (who no doubt would put her through) there is a scandal going on. I mean come on...David Foster(yes 14 grammys) hand picked DaNica to sing with him ... twice!!!!!!!!

January 14 2010 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z!

Ha! im reading the review not seeing the show and im like what are "Louboutins"? after the video i see j lo was singing about Louis Vuittons. Oh thats a classic

November 29 2009 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peggy

jffm, you said it all just right....Adam is a great entertainer and he needs time to get started and a great singer...How many gets to do what Adam did without even a record out...I loved it I was bored and I am 74 years old....Leave the kiss out and it was a spectular performace...The rest of the show was boring eminem made commits about a fantasy arrest , not nice...was beeped a lot....Get over it people...The sound in there was not good...others sounded bad...fix the sound the singers might sound better.....Taylor Swift is the most awful singer I have ever heard.....

November 24 2009 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I think the only real problem I had was that Lambert sounded worse than usual-he usually does great. I guess being on tour for the first time has taken it's toll. The song's so-so though.

I don't understand the problem with his performance. Nearly everyone was sexualized on this show. Even Carrie Underwood relied on sex appeal for her performance (she sounded horrible by the way; I think she was just singing too high). Clarkson and Houston were the only ones I can remember having any real decorum. The real reason it's an issue is because he's gay. That much is obvious.

Any one else notice how awkward it was that Taylor Swift won over Michael Jackson at one point?

November 23 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Will

I thought Taylor handled it very graciously, though, and I say that as someone who's not even a fan of her music.

November 24 2009 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

JLo falling doesn't surprise mel, she is bottom-heavy after all.

Lambert just showed himself to be the male slut he is.

November 23 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anon Imus

The videos have been pulled for copyright.

November 23 2009 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gypsy3x4

didn't mind adam or the performance.
But that song they have him singing is Awful!

November 23 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gloria

All those freaks with so much makeup on and you pick out Keith Urban???? You're crazy, he looked plain next to those other freaks! He was the best of the night to me as well! He and Kelly Clarkson!

November 23 2009 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Keith Urban was one of the few enjoyable acts of the evening. I didn't notice any makeup issue. His hair was a bit overdone.

November 23 2009 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply