November 24, 2014

What You Missed Last Night: the most disgusting TV episode of the year

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 23rd 2009 1:31PM
The Cleveland ShowIt's episodes like this that make me think the Parents Television Council has a point.*

I watched The Cleveland Show last night, and since it's from the same people who bring us Family Guy and American Dad, I know it's supposed to be edgy and daring and a very adult cartoon. But jeez, does it have to go this far? The plot had to do with Cleveland's dad falling for an older woman who came for Thanksgiving whom he later found out was a guy. Not only did we have to endure endless farting by the woman, Cleveland's dad had sex with the her (not knowing it was a guy) and we had endless jokes about fisting and oral sex. Oh, and let's not forget the three minutes of vomiting that Cleveland and his dad did.

Yeah, I know, it's a cartoon and it's FOX, etc, etc. But it was incredibly over the top (certainly for a show on at 8:30), and even as a guy who likes humor that's "out there" I was shaking my head more than laughing. And that's an equally big sin, the fact that the episode just wasn't funny.

*God, I hope that doesn't become a quote on their web site.

[Watch clips and episodes of The Cleveland Show and other shows at SlashControl.]

rsplatpc

I laughed the whole time and thoroughly enjoyed the whole episode. I think perhaps you might want to try reviewing over at CBN.com

November 25 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

Hey Bob,

I was hoping somebody would point this out. I agree completely.

November 24 2009 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Axel Harris

I would like to point you in the direction of : Big Momma's House, Big Momma's House 2, and every Tyler Perry movie anyone cares about. THAT'S THE JOKE.

Also, why do I keep seeing people bringing up the time a show airs as a reason to why content is inappropriate? 1. With DVR's and the internet, airtime is hardly ever viewtime. 2. It's not like we're in the age of 3-channels where prime-time was for the whole family. Kids have their Disney channel and their Nickelodeon. and conservative adults have EVERY OTHER ONE OF THE 500 CHANNELS ON TV. Seriously, time means nothing in this day in age.

November 24 2009 at 4:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Axel Harris's comment
Derek

I was wondering if no one else commenting recognized that this episode was making fun of Tyler Perry's Madea character from her know-it-all personality and flatulence to Auntie Mama constantly shouting about how outrageous "she" is. I found it funny, vulgar and over the top admittedly, but still funny.

November 24 2009 at 7:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcus Gorman

This was the least offensive Cleveland Show yet, and your insistence of a few references to homosexuality days more about you than the show.

Yes, humor is subjective, but I cringed more at the first two minutes of Family Guy than any silly double entendre on the Cleveland Show.

November 23 2009 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walter

It was disgusting and that's why I changed the channel which is an excellent option for me but not so much for the reviewer.

I can't believe Fox gives this guy 3 shows every Sunday night. Family Guy is the only one that is occasionally humorous and/or entertaining.

November 23 2009 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear. They were not hip or cutting edge and most of all they were not vulgar. My, my - how far we have come.

November 23 2009 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Don

Bugs Bunny was an a-hole and huckleberry hound just wasn't funny, but that's my opinion. diferent strokes for different folks. that's why there's more than one show to choose from. f*** the prc, if parent's can't control their own house, that's on them. i shouldn't be denied things i love because they are too lazy to parent correctly.

November 27 2009 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher Swenson

I laughed harder then I have for along time at last nights episode. I know it's not for everybody but invoking the PTC in your review is disgusting and has no place on a review website. If you don't like it change the channel.

November 23 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Take a look at your TV remote. There are a few buttons that could help with this problem in future. Two of them, most likely labeled with upward- and downward-pointing arrows, change the channel. A third one, often marked with a red circle, turns off the television. These buttons are a great way to deal with boring shows, offensive shows, reruns, infomercials, those foreign language channels you can't figure out how to remove from the lineup, and news channels that don't align with your personal politics.

November 23 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to George's comment
GL

That wouldn't result in a very good review.

November 23 2009 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jj

I gave up on Cleveland as well. It is not funny at all.

And as an aside, when did vomiting become funny?? I see nothing funny about it at all and get quesy every time it pops up on TV.

November 23 2009 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

That's what you get for watching cartoons.

November 23 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply