December 21, 2014

Good Morning America cancels Adam Lambert concert

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 24th 2009 12:40PM
Adam LambertAdam Lambert has been on a lot of shows with "America" in the title, including American Idol and The American Music Awards. He won't be appearing on another show with that word in it though.

ABC has confirmed that Lambert's appearance on Good Morning America on Wednesday has been canceled. And yes, we can all assume that it's because of Lambert's ridiculous performance on the AMAs over the weekend, where he made out with a guy, dragged another guy along on a leash, and also simulated oral sex with a dancer who was down on this knees. You know, because Lambert wanted to be so EDGY. (Update: Lambert will appear on CBS' The Early Show instead, and Dick Clark Productions has released a statement about the performance.)

Is GMA right canceling Lambert's concert?
Yes. His performance was inappropriate.664 (61.3%)
No way! He didn't do anything wrong.420 (38.7%)

mp

On CBS that morning he says... I didn't have a clue this would be so controversial....

Well if that is the case he is incredibly stupid.
In looking quickly at his work (not knowing anything about him prior to this) words like "vapid", "tasteless", "crude", "lewd", and "inferior" come to mind.

He will never get one cent from me.

December 23 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I also wasn't offended by the male-to-male kiss. A blatent show of sexuality does offend me. Adam dry-humping anyone or intimating oral sex does. Madonna masturbating with a crucifix does. And, Michael. I've never seen Carrie Underwood do anything even close to that.

November 25 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Glad to see writers don't allow their bias to affect what they post here.

November 25 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Glad to see the writers here don't allow their bias to affect what they post.

November 25 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

Can someone tell me when the last time a male or female took someone's head and jambed it in their crotch on primetime TV? A kiss is one thing, but I do not recall any females taking it that far on a PG rated, not cable network. I never liked this guy from the moment he started screaming lyrics and if he didn't do what he did, no one would be talking about him now. His fifteen minutes is ticking down.

November 25 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Very well said, Chris.

November 25 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

Why is no one upset at the censorship that ABC showed in the West Coast viewing? It's always p----d me off when they show things live on the East Coast with no consideration for those unfortunate enough to have to live their lives 3 hours later than the important people of the East. While I think Lambert's "shocking" performance was unnecessary and really shameful for someone who can really do well performing traditionally, it's the censoring of that that gets to me. GMA's cancelling is just an extension of that unfortunately. I'm sure they'll still accommodate Miley Cyrus anytime she wants to be on, despite the 16-year-old stripper routine from awhile back. I wonder if they would've censored that if she had licked the pole.....

November 24 2009 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

its still okay to watch V tonight on ABC though right ?? ;)

November 24 2009 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

It seems people are confusing the AMA's with the VMA's on MTV where the infamous Britney-Madonna lip lock took place and has more of an anything goes feel to it. Had Adam done what he did at the VMA's instead not much would have been said about it. The AMA's are more family-oriented as they're produced by Dick Clark and broadcast on ABC which is owned by Disney. Taylor Swift won a bunch of awards so that tells you something about their target audience. Overall, it was just the wrong venue for this type of performance.

I don't buy the fact that he just got caught up in the moment and none of the "shocking" things he did on stage were pre-planned though. The whole performance came off as very desperate to me where it was obvious that they were trying to shock the audience and create a water cooler moment. The fact that they gave him the last slot of the night makes it seem like the producers knew what was gonna take place, so they shouldn't really be surprised that they received so many complaints. Obviously, I'm sure some people had more of a problem with the fact that Adam is gay and kissed another man onstage, but no matter what his sexual orientation is, it was just plain inappropriate and trashy.

Its unfortunate that he showed great vocal strength while he was on AI, yet this performance was very weak vocally not to mention that the song didn't stand out at all. If he wants to try to be the next Madonna or Britney or whoever and rely more on stage antics than actual talent than more power to him but I don't think he will go very far that way. There's a way to balance spectacle with showing actual range and talent like Lady Gaga does.

I also find it very interesting that in a recent interview Adam explained that he didn't want to appear on the cover of a gay magazine right away because he didn't want simply be known as a gay performer, and yet here he is during his first big televised performance shoving another guys face into his crotch. Classy...

November 24 2009 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JR's comment
Michael

It's probably because several gay media criticized Lambert for treating his sexuality in a closeted, "Don't ask, don't tell" way. Unfortunately, in his effort to show he wasn't ashamed of his sexuality, he forgot that America goes psycho-insane at seeing two male adults kissing.

But I agree that it's too bad that he didn't sound great on the AMAs, like he usually did on American Idol. I guess touring has taken it's toll. I think the bad singing will hurt him more because this episode has been so blown-out-of-proportion. If everyone were seeing him sing good, the stunt would've worked. I just hope this doesn't affect his sales, because I do like him--as a singer at least.

November 25 2009 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

1,500 complaints out of the millions who watched. Why is this a reason for the network to even care?

November 24 2009 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leroy's comment
Judy

I'm not sure of the number, but each written letter represents a certain number of people. I don't remember if it's 1,000 or 10,000 or what. But trust me, it's not just 1,500 people who are unhappy.

November 24 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply