September 19, 2014

Surprise! Italian-American group offended by MTV's Jersey Shore

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 25th 2009 2:29PM
Cast of MTV's Jersey Shore
A couple of weeks ago, I alerted you folks to the premiere of MTV's Jersey Shore, an eye-rolling show that promotes itself as a collection of the shore's "hottest, tannest, craziest Guidos." It's enough to make a Jersey guy like me nauseous.

In a shocking development, it seems like a national Italian-American group has a bit of an issue with this show. UNICO has asked MTV to pull Jersey Shore even before it airs, calling it "trash television" that unfairly depicts Italian-Americans.

Ya think? Wonder if it was the fist-pumping that set them off? Or the drunkenness? Or the fourth-grade-level sentence structure the participants use? Or, maybe -- just maybe -- it was MTV's use of the term "Guido" in the friggin' promo that got them upset. Not sure if I can put my finger on it.

Two things I wonder, though: a) Where was UNICO when TLC was about to air The Real Housewives of New Jersey and Cake Boss?, and b) What is the MTV spokesman who defended the show smoking when she says the show represents their usual examination of young people's rites of passage and that this group "takes pride in their ethnicity"? Does "taking pride" include spray tans and getting drunk on Jack Daniels?

Rob

Please keep this trash up in NJ..we don't need anymore of them moving down here to FL.

January 01 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Iverson

I grew up on the Jersey shore. The guidos and guidettes were always there, they were as loud and obnoxious as they are today and the rest of the normal people, the majority, just kind of ignored and put up with them as best we could. I moved away many years ago...it isn't like that everywhere, thank god...I don't miss it one damn bit.

January 01 2010 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suddy

I think the show is an accurate portrayal of most Italian Americans. Most people who grew up going to the Jersey shore usually stop going to places like Seaside in their early 20's because they can't stand these trashy people. They are just like blacks. No different. In most cases even worse.

December 28 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lily

WHY WHY WHY! I think Jersey Shore is pretty funny. Some people around the way I would know HOWEVER....this is making the rest of country look @ Jersey as some hood-ass state with no manners, all Italians and just flat out Rude! If it's Jersey Shore, why are most of them from NY? Why not call it, Real World Jersey Shore to not create confusion!? I went to San Diego and people stared at me and said I speak like the the "Sopranos" because of my accent! Really!!?? Is this what the world sees? Isn't it bad enough the rest of the world refers to us as "Dirty Jerz".... Thank you MTV.

December 10 2009 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I have been dating a Staten Island girl for 3 years now. I have been an NJ resident my whole life... we are both going to watch the show tonight. Can't wait to fight her!
www.jerseytrashclothing.com

December 03 2009 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rico

Substitute the name "Hymie" and the show would have never been greenlighted. These organizations are all talk and no action. Statements are cheap. There need to be massive protests and boycotts.

December 01 2009 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fiona

I'm of italian descent, and I think these "guidos" are a bunch of fools who simply need a quality education, not a TV show.

I'm also individualistic enough not to let other people who have vowel-ending last names like mine, but act idiotic, make me feel bad about my heritage. Far from it, I am proud of my heritage and wouldn't trade it for any other.

November 26 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

To be fair I have seen Asians, Irish, and Middle Eastern people fist pump and just all around act like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M
So that's probably not why they are angry. Probably the use of the word Guido. Though the term Guido now pretty much refers to anyone that acts like the guy in the above video currently it seems.

So what it boils down is the show pisses off Italians for the tagline of the show and Shore residents for fouling up the name of an entire coastline. The whole debacle could of been resolved by naming the show Seaside (Only town where I've ever seen people act like this at the Jersey Shore) and having the tagline be: Prepare yourself for the biggest douchebags NY has to offer to ruin your summer.

November 25 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ac's comment
Dan Buckley

"Prepare yourself for the biggest douchebags NY has to offer to ruin your summer."

That quote should be the new slogan for summer at the Jersey shore. Calling it Jersey Shore is an insult to the regular people who have to put up with these ass clowns during the summer.

November 25 2009 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alex

they should pull this show because it unfairly depicts humans.

November 25 2009 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

These offended persons never actually met the type of person the show is about. They need their own Bill Cosby to open a door and tell them to clean up their own house.

And the guys look just like the Gotti boys, so...

November 25 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply