November 26, 2014

Do you want House and Cuddy to end up together?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Nov 29th 2009 11:02AM
House: Hugh Laurie, Lisa EdelsteinI've been trying to decide whether House and Cuddy will -- or should -- eventually end up together on House, M.D. In last week's episode, Cuddy invited House to Thanksgiving dinner and he showed up at the address only to find an empty house. Cuddy was enjoying Thanksgiving dinner elsewhere. It seemed like a cruel trick to play on someone, even House.

So, being House, he broke into her place and had a little one on one with Lucas, in which the cranky doc revealed that he loved Cuddy. Things ended with Lucas telling Cuddy that perhaps House really had changed, and Cuddy pondering that idea as if to say, hmmm, if he's changed, maybe I DO want to be with him.

In one way, I can't imagine that the producers would ever have a happily-ever-after with these two. There's a lot of water under the bridge, a lot of hurt feelings, and neither one of them is a particularly happy person. On the other hand, why not? He seems to want to be with her, and it's clear she's pondering the idea (even if she says she's done with him). There are definitely plenty of sparks there.

Do you want House and Cuddy to end up together? Do you think they could have a happy ending?

Ginger Dandelion

I think they should have sex and something like was with Stacey: I love you, but we can't be together.
That would be something close to truth.

January 15 2010 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Benzedrine

The sexual tension between them was both amusing (at times) and relatively hot (at times). It was established that Cuddy might (MIGHT) be a little bit more interested in House than "sexual tension", and that's alright. I liked it. But this season it seems like the writers decided to 180 it completely, and now House is lovesick over a disinterested Cuddy. I'm not as comfortable with that, because I'm uncomfortable with how that changes House's character - it's just not as interesting - or believable.

December 06 2009 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ari

I haven't watched House this year because they're ruining HUDDY!!! They better put them together bc I LOVED the show!

November 30 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon B. Knutson

I don't think they should be together... for that matter, I'm not convinced that House is attracted to Cuddy in any way other than physically. I think that Cuddy's the woman he's known the longest, and after all the changes he's been through recently, he's looking at her as being the most consistent thing in his life, and he's subconsciously trying to ensure it will always be there.

House is probably not even ready for a relationship at this time... we know he was attracted to Cameron, and probably still is (I suspect that he was manipulating things to get her to leave Chase, although he may have been hoping on some level to make her available again, even if it would never work between them).

House's biggest hurdle in relationships seems to be that he's always most interested in women who aren't actually available to him... and that may be something he does on purpose without realizing it. I'm sure that he still loves Stacy most of all, and his abortive relationship attempts since breaking up with her have been his way of appearing to pursue, and yet still being available if Stacy's marriage breaks up. Cuddy is just the latest in the line of women that he's "trying" to pursue, methinks.

November 30 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

NO. Sadly, House is not the kind of person to have a relationship. His brain is so wrapped up in finding answers that it has warped him. Even therapy really hasn't done much for him. Cuddy wants him, duh, but hopefully is smart enough to keep him at bay. I think she is overwhelmed right now, with her job and motherhood. She looks bad. If they got together it would be Moonlighting all over again. Ruin a show.

November 30 2009 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I've said it before and I'll say it again,
The recipe for good television is and has been, if the show doesn't start with the two major characters as a solid couple, it will die if they become one. America loses interest and the writers seem to lose their edge once they pair up the sexual tension couple. It has come to represent the "storyline end" of many shows. You know once the two connect there will no longer be interest and the writers will have lost their will (ability?) to create edgy storylines for said show. It's happened in quite a few shows with this same "starcrossed lovers" theme.

I don't look for the two to get together and be a solid cohesive couple unless the show is ready to write the series finale . Personally, the way the characters are written, I don't see either being happy with the other .

The Lucas character is one dimensional, much like the character of the baby. It really isn't necessary to the plot, and is there only to increase sexual tension between the two major characters. All of the characters we see each week on House have multiple dimensions , each contributing to the success of the show (though they have really dropped the ball with Foreman , his character is not what it was in the first three years. They did him a disservice by pairing him with 13. It weakened his story line , and made the "House is a bad influence" theme seem more hokey. ) Lucas just doesn't have the "layers" he should to remain a focal character.

November 30 2009 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

I really like the idea of House and Cuddy being a couple. Realistically, they seem to be destined to be dysfunctional; nonetheless, if written in that spirit, I don't think it would mar the original intent of the show. (It might actually make the show even more interesting). They could become a couple, though probably not a conventional one, and given the high caliber of writing, acting, and production work, the show could continue to present intriguing medical mysteries and moral issues well balanced by the rich character interactions we have come to expect from House. Long live Huddy!

November 30 2009 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

OMG!!! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

November 30 2009 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mithril33

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

November 30 2009 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Buckley

I'd like to know what position the DEA has on this story line. ;)

November 30 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply