October 21, 2014

How do you think Monk will end?

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 29th 2009 3:02PM
trudy_monk_usa_kissThe other night, USA Network broadcast part one of the Monk finale. In that next to last episode, many storylines were presented for the possible big finish this upcoming week. And it could be a potentially whopper of an ending. In my review, I speculated a little about what may be coming, and the comments have been flying in to TV Squad with viewers sharing their thoughts. That's got me thinking... what else might be at play?

Tony Shalhoub was interviewed about the end of Monk and it was interesting that as an actor, he waited till he filmed the end before learning Monk's fate. He said, "I think it's a good send-off. At the beginning of the season, the writers asked me if I wanted to know how everything [ended] and I said, if it was okay with them, I'd rather wait."

If you would rather wait, too, don't read below because I'm going to postulate a couple of ideas about what we saw on Friday and what might be coming. These aren't spoilers, because I don't know. However, if I stumble upon the right answer, I wouldn't want to be accused of spoiling it for you.

Okay, based on what Randy told Leland, the poison in Monk's body is lethal and it's too late to find an antidote. If that's true, Monk is like Edmund O'Brien in the movie D.O.A. (or Dennis Quaid in the remake of D.O.A.), and he's going to solve the murder before he dies. In Monk's case, he'll solve his own murder and Trudy's at the same time.

If Monk were to die like that, the fanciful finale could be that he and Trudy are reunited in the afterlife. Some readers think that's wholly appropriate. Some think that the producers wouldn't kill off Monk because they'd want to bring hm back for TV movies. Some just can't imagine Monk being killed.

My mind keeps going back to Trudy's tape to Monk. If Trudy knew she was in danger, if -- as the tape suggests -- she sent it to Adrian because she knew she was going to die, is it possible that Trudy's not really dead? Did she want him to believe that she was dead for his own protection?

Suppose she had uncovered information that was so explosive that she had to go into Witness Protection? Suppose she had to keep the information from Adrian to save his life? Or did she determine that she couldn't take him into Witness Protection with her because of his OCD? (By the way, if this were the case, it would be great to see Mary Shannon -- actress Mary McCormack -- from In Plain Sight as her WITSEC agent!)

What makes me think that Trudy's not really dead? Well, watch her run through the parking garage from the last episode. She has the keys in her hand, but then reaches into her purse for something else. Could she have had a device to signal someone else to create the "bomb" diversion? Also they showed the six-fingered man, but there was another man's head shown? Or it could have been the same guy, who knows?

Maybe all the evidence was manufactured to make it appear that Trudy was dead? The evidence would have to appear completely consistent with her death because not only did it have to convince Monk, it had to convince the judge who ordered her murder.

Do you think I'm nuts? What's your theory? Take the poll and feel free to comment.

How will Monk end?
He'll die from poison and reunite with Trudy in Heaven.243 (19.5%)
Trudy will be revealed to be alive and an antidote will save Monk.261 (21.0%)
Trudy will be revealed to be alive, but Monk will die from the poison.109 (8.8%)
Monk will solve Trudy's murder and miraculous will not die from the poison.631 (50.7%)

rossbon

I think the Judge had an affair with the missing midwife, and the doc who was killed 12 yrs. later was trying to stop the judge from getting on the CA supreme court, so he died--Trudy knew about the affair too--thought she might have been pregnant when she died and that was why she was in contact with the clinic and stumbled onto the affair.
In her tape to Adrian, she made a point of telling him again that she had to get an RX for Ambrose--Ambrose was always jealous of his brother--especially when he was out in the world and went to college and met/married Trudy.
Therefore--Ambrose made the Judge aware of what Trudy knew, to wreck Monk's life by making sure Trudy was gone from his life. Can't say Ambrose did it, as he doesn't have six fingers !!!!!

December 03 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chintik

Trudy is not dead. She's in witness protection. They found Monks antidote, but want people to think he is dead too, so that he can enter witness protection with Trudy. Monk doesn't know this, but medicines are keeping him sick.

Finally Monk will solve the mystery and no witness protection.

December 03 2009 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chas0416

There was an episode where Monk recognized Trudy's eyes in a cab driver lady. It was revealed she had recieved the corneas from Trudy after her death meaning she must be dead for the story line to make sense. I also had a fealing when I first saw X-mass gift box earlier seasons that a clue if not a tape was in the box. Despite Monks problems I think he would have been so obsessed with the murder he would opened the box for a possible clue even for one that was oblique.

I love Monk because I he is still feels so much love and pain for Trudy after the many years. I lost someone I loved to an accident and I hope I will never grow dull to the love and pain. What better ending than for Monk to die
catching Trudy's killer and being with her again. That would be the way I would want to die.

December 02 2009 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Thanks for bringing that up. I forgot about that episode. You have just knocked out most of the theories on Trudy being alive and it's very feasible it could be Monk waking up from a coma, then seeing Trudy. I like that ending. Good detective work.

December 01 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bertie

How can Trudi still be alive??? There was that episode where Monk "recognizes" Trudi's eyes in a transplant patient.... he follows the women with her eyes everywhere, then learns that the woman received Trudi's corneas. So are we to believe that Trudi is alive, and blind?

I'm wondering if Monk has dreamed everything, that perhaps he was the one hurt in the blast, and not Trudi. Trudi says in Monk's "real" dream, it's almost over.... does that mean he is about to awake from a long coma? Also, Randy says, out of nowhere in the recent episode, "I'm going to miss all this." Why?? Why does he suddenly say that? I think Monk has been dreaming all along.

November 30 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

What if because of some unknown chemical reaction the only thing that could keep Monk from being killed by the poison is milk! haha!

November 30 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I think Monk will live. I also think the birthing place, the midwife's death and the doctors death is all connected with a black market baby selling ring that Trudy uncovered after she had a baby out of wedlock as a teenager and gave her baby away for adoption. That's the awful thing she said she did in the tape. Monk will come face to face with Trudy's daughter who will be the exact likeness of Trudy. Let's give Monk a happy ending, he deserves it.

November 30 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I don't think Monk will die. In the beginning of the episode, Trudy told him it was time to let her go. I think that he will realize, in a very painful way, that he has been wrong all these years. Before Trudy died, he wasn't as bad. He withdrew totally. Natalie has done a lot to help him. I think the poison is in the wipes, and combined with the gift, he will realize that he could have solved the murder twelve years ago. He already told Dr. Bell that he has wasted so many years. I believe this is all a part of the ending. Randy will go to New York, big mistake, and Monk will let Trudy go.

November 30 2009 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

DanMan: I don't find ambiguous endings "offensive" the way people seem to feel violated at the notion of Monk dying at the end of the show. I just hate endings that are actually non-endings. It's lazy. They act like it's all creative and artsy, and that's what the defenders of such lame endings will say, but no, it's just lazy and indecisive.

It's okay to leave some things up to the viewer/reader... in fact that's to be expected. But not the climax of the story. Not knowing if the protagonist, placed in mortal danger, lives or dies is simply unacceptable in a series finale (whether it be a tv show, movie, or series of books). "Is he dead or alive" is a great cliffhanger until the next season/book/sequel. But it's absolutely unacceptable when it's intended to be the end of the end.

Also I agree with those who said it's Monk's hand wipes that were poisoned. Though you'd think they'd check everything that Natalie bought at the grocery store that day, including hand wipes. But they were probably just dumb and assumed it must have been a food product. Can ricin even be absorbed through the skin? I thought it had to be ingested or injected. I also doubt that there are 4,000+ different types of ricin poison. Isn't ricin made from castor beans? I thought ricin was a specific type of poison, not a general class of poisons like "nerve gas" but I'm no expert and I'm too lazy to look it up on wikipedia.

November 29 2009 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob

We think that the poison wasn't through a food, but his hand wipes. They were poisoned in the grocery store and Monk brought them up 2 or three times in this episode. He keeps using, making him sicker and sicker.

And I think he will die, and see Trudy finally, right after solving her murder. That's all- we just have to wait 5 more days to find out who's right.

November 29 2009 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply