September 15, 2014

Is Modern Family one of the ten best shows of the decade?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 30th 2009 2:01PM
Modern FamilyNext month, everyone here at TV Squad will be giving their picks for the best TV shows of the '00s (zeros? aughts?). One critic has the jump on us and has picked his ten, and ABC's new sitcom Modern Family is one of them.

I'm not sure how this can be. I mean, I like it OK, but has it been around long enough to put it on the list of the best TV shows of the past ten years? To be fair, he picks some shows I definitely think should be in the running, including The West Wing, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Lost, and The Sopranos, but I think there are a lot of shows we could pick to go in the number ten spot where Modern Family sits.

Last month I did a post on how a lot of critics think the show is one of the ten best of the year, and I said that although I find the show good I don't yet find it great. So that means I certainly wouldn't have it on my list of the decade's best. How about you?

Lisa

Personally, The Office should have taken the #10 slot, not a newbie show (that I like BTW). The Office may not be having a great season this year but its second season and third seasons were genius. I'm not sure any other comedy show (emphasize comedy) ever had such a fan following with blogs and online communities that popped up just to talk about it.

December 06 2009 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

8. Battlestar Gallatica
9. 24
10. Breaking Bad

December 03 2009 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

How about

'The Noughties" for this decade?

December 02 2009 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ColdBrew

This is more of a comment on the comments.

Modern Family is good. I'm not sure if it is top 10 but his list looks pretty solid. Actually I might put Sons of Anarchy in that list. This season has been SOOOO great.

But to say The Wire should be top 10? I just didn't see what everyone thought was so great about that show. I kept reading about everyone comparing that show to The Shield, so I watched every episode of The Wire. And it wasn't a bad show by any means but in NO WAY was it anywhere in the same league as "The Shield"! And I sure don't think it was a top 10 for the past 10 years...

JMHO...

December 01 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emtae

It could be the most overrated show ever, let alone the decade.

It's an ok show. I liked the clown last week.

The real comedy is how the wannabe hipsters pile on something when they just want to be/look cool. Then, totally abandon it in it's second season.

Modern Family is just this year's It Show, nothing more than that.

November 30 2009 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Uh, no. After what, 8 episodes you are already calling it a top ten? Get real. Maybe top 10 for comedies but it's still too soon to tell. And the last 10 years haven't been stellar for comedies anyway.

November 30 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

It makes the list of best comedies of the decade, but not overall shows.

And I do want to disagree about one thing... it's simply not true to say that most comedies are their best in the first season. It is often true of dramas, sci-fi, action/adventure plots, because those are often mapped out to an extent... the sitcom is a different critter. It's more like a procedural in that nothing much really changes in the fundamental structure of the show or relationships therein. The only thing that changes is the comfort and timing among the cast... Seinfeld got much better. Cheers got much better. Even Frasier, based on a character already on tv for a decade, got much better. I'd say the sweet spot of a lot of shows is mid-season 2 through season 5... It's true of a lot of shows, including things like ST:TNG. The point is, I wouldn't remotely discount this as their best material for this series.

That said, was West Wing one of the best series of the 1990's? It was on in that decade just as much as Modern Family will be during this one.....

November 30 2009 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

You've just hit on one of my complaints about this decade. How will it ever acquire its own personality if no one knows how to refer to it? The next decade is going to have the same problem. It's almost like 20 years of our life will have disappeared. /drama

November 30 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tim's comment
Tim

One more thing. Phil from Modern Family is exactly the same character as Michael Scott.

November 30 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I don't know about others, but I just refer to it as the Aughts.

Next decade will be the Tens/Teens. Ok, I don't know. Haha.

November 30 2009 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

This is why we should let time pass before we choose our top ten. Let's let the decade end and then we can look at it objectively.

November 30 2009 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Fun list but without The Wire in the top 10 it has no credability. I also believe Arrested Development should be somewhere in there as well.

I enjoy Modern Family and I believe it can be a top 10 show but with only 12 episodes to go by I can't give it the vote it deserves.

1.The Wire