December 22, 2014

ABC's Charlie Gibson retiring this month

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 1st 2009 8:01PM
To the three of you who still watch the news on a regular basis, here's some news you would have seen coming.

ABC World News' lead anchor Charlie Gibson has announced his retirement. He will leave the show on Dec. 18 and Diane Sawyer will take over the anchor's chair on Dec. 21.

He has only been the station's lead news anchor since May of 2006 when he stepped in for Bob Woodruff who sustained injuries from a roadside bomb in Iraq. Woodruff and Elizabeth Vargas replaced World News Tonight anchor Peter Jennings who left due to medical reasons.

TorrentFreak

I really wish I never saw Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos team up in that awful presidential candidates debate. It soured me on him. I'll try instead to remember when I had respect for him. His sign off of "I'm Charlie Gibson, and I hope you had a good day." always made me smile and say back to the tv: "thank you Charlie, you too"

December 02 2009 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I can't stand NBC news anymore. If I'm watching morning or evening news, it's always ABC unless there's a major issue, in which case I switch to CNN. NBC has become a wasteland of nothingness in my opinion.

Peter Jennings was always a personal favorite. When Bob Woodruff and Elizabeth Vargas took over, I did stop watching, but Charlie brought me back. Diane Sawyer certainly has the chops for evening news, but she can be an acquired taste. Personally, I like her. But she does occassionally come off as condescending. That being said, she's a great and tough interviewer. I'm not so much worried about her taking over the evening news, I'm more worried about who will take over for her for Good Morning America. Changing personnel can completely disrupt chemistry.

December 02 2009 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

I'll miss Charlie - and still not completely over Peter Jennings. I know this isn't politically correct, but I won't be watching Diane Sawyer - she's fine if you need someone to interview Jennifer Aniston, but just doesn't inspire creditability with hard news. Erin Burnett over on CNBC would be a better choice for a hard news anchor - who as far as I know, has never sat on a couch and interviewed any celebrities. If it was up to me - I would've given it to Dan Harris, who is likable, paid his dues and young enough to sit in the anchor chair for the next 30 or 40 years.

December 02 2009 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Guess Who's comment
tingrin87

i haven't watched ABC's World News Tonight since Peter Jennings left - NBC's Nightly News with Brian Williams picked up.

December 02 2009 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fgsweetdog

You forget that Charlie was co-host of GMA. Surely if he can slide over to the hard news so can Diane Sawyer. She is personable and can interview anyone. From senators to boy in the balloon. Remember when she made him run to the bathroom and wretch for asking a serious question?! I'll still watch World News. Brian Williams is WAY to cozy with POTUS ...

December 02 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply