November 26, 2014

Three Rivers will spend December on the shelf

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 1st 2009 10:02AM
alex_oloughlin_cbsYou knew it was a bad sign in November when CBS decided to flip flop Cold Case and Three Rivers to test whether it was the time slots that were dictating the sliding ratings of the Sunday night dramas.

The results were hardly conclusive, but consistently drawing less than 2.0 in the demographics has doomed Three Rivers. CBS has pulled Three Rivers off the schedule for December. Merry Christmas, Alex O'Loughlin lovers.

This is the first step to cancellation and anyone who tells you otherwise is blowing smoke. Despite a big star in the center, Three Rivers is an earnest medical drama that's just not catching on with viewers. CBS will complete the 13-episode order and then kiss the show bye-bye.

What happened? Why did this show fail to make the grade? Hard to say, but I think the transplant angle was limiting. Also, the show stumbled out of the gate. It switched cast members from the get-go and then moved production out of Pittsburgh, trying to re-create the look of the Pennsylvania hospital in Los Angeles. None of that would have mattered if the program had some dynamic appeal, but beyond O'Loughlin, it didn't.

As The Hollywood Reporter pointed out, nobody at CBS is in tears over Three Rivers being shelved on the road to the end. The network has produced two successful dramas this fall, NCIS: Los Angeles and The Good Wife. Two out of three is a great track record.

But what about Alex O'Loughlin? It's my belief that CBS will not give up until they find the right vehicle for AO. He'll be back again. I'd bet on it.

In the meanwhile, effective December 6 and for the rest of the month, reruns of NCIS: LA, Criminal Minds and Cold Case will slip into the 10 p.m. slot in Three Rivers' place. But don't set your DVR for any of those Sunday nights because NFL games will be mucking up the schedule for certain.

And don't think for a moment that the screwy schedule didn't hurt Three Rivers. It sure didn't help The Unit last year.

Lynda

Ok...what the hell is up with CBS cancelling really GOOD shows??? I think in part it's the time slot. For Three Rivers, Sunday night @ 9pm was NOT a good choice. Then there was *Moonlight* which thank GOD came out on DVD. I loved Three Rivers AND Moonlight and now both are gone. I know there is the perfect show out there for Alex. This guy is EASY on the eyes and is a true actor who CAN act. I can't wait to see what is in store for Alex O'Laughlin, because he deserves BETTER!!!!!
L.P.

January 25 2010 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I liked Three Rivers mainly because my 27 year old daughter is waiting for a transplant at the Pittsburgh hospital. We've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh and the show wasn't very realistic but Ienjoyed watching. I must admit, I cried during every show. Maybe because of our situation.

January 21 2010 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanette

I agree with the posters here. Kate Moennig is an amazing and beautiful actor, and I waited in anticipation for her to be on this show. I also noticed on the Three Rivers community site polls that she was the most-anticipated actor on the show. Obviously -- she's HOT! I honestly believe that if they had written the show with more focus on her it would have gained higher ratings. But we were handed Alex O'Loughlin most of the time, which is fine, but not quite good enough.

I was finally rewarded with a smart, interesting, fresh and much-needed drama. I was forced to dvr an extra hour each Sunday so I could see it all. Now... this.

Hopefully another network will pick up where CBS has failed and recognize the talent and storyline are worth saving. And I also agree, it should be on in a time slot that doesn't compete with endless series like CSI, Law & Order, etc etc etc...

January 15 2010 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri Brock

Hi Everyone at CBS
It upsets me! that you replaced Three Rivers with Cold Case on Sunday nights, BIG MISTAKE!! Alex O'loughlin suffers for It. Bring THREE RIVERS BACK!!!!! I looked forward to watching Three Rivers every sunday night. there isn't anything worth watching sunday nights on CBS until THREE RIVERS Returns. Bad Decision.....

Miss You Alex Three Rivers.
Ms. Terri Brock
Carmicheal, Ca. 916 483-4622
I love to talk with Alex O'loughlin
wk: Dress Barn 916 351-1003

December 09 2009 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buddy

USA seems to putting out some descent TV.
Hurry up USA and snatch up AO

December 07 2009 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RoeC

this is why I generally stay away from watching new shows. I am not a Neilson family. So the fact that I watch this show every week (searching it out cause the time is always screwed up) means nothing. How many of you are Neilson families? If your not then the networks could care less if you watched. They need to come up with a better way to guage what is actually getting watched.
I loved this show, the entire cast. The stories are new. The charactors are believeable, the acting top notch. CBS sticks with NCIS Los Angeles which IMO stinks. NCIS is the best show on tv, and Los Angeles dosen't even make sense.

December 07 2009 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

What is the matter with CBS? This was such a good show. I got other people interested in it, and you gake it off!!! There is so much garbage on TV today. I watch very little, but have favorites I look forward to.Three Rivers was one of them(so was Moonlight).They put this show up against terrible odds.What is the matter with them? The writers must be fit to be tied too. BRING THREE RIVERS BACK!!!!!

December 06 2009 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I absolutely LOVED Three Rivers. It was compelling. I looked forward to staying up on Sunday just to watch it.
So now they put on NCIS Los Angeles and it just has never got my attention. I have tried often to watch it and fell asleep whenever it is on. No offense but do we need another NCIS? Even if it does have great actors. Bad choice CBS!

December 06 2009 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maureen

I agree w/Dolores...Three Rivers is a show worth saving..Patinkin show was very moving and I also was looking forward to seeing what happens along the way with other characters. Sunday night is "football night" but I also DVR and go beyond time frame to make sure I get Three Rivers AND Cold Case. Please CBS consider another night for Three Rivers!!!

December 06 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply