November 27, 2014

Barrowman signed for Torchwood season four

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 2nd 2009 10:01AM
TorchwoodJohn Barrowman, best known as Captain Jack Harkness on the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, has confirmed that he has signed to play the character again in the series' fourth season. Unlike the mini-series of the third season, Barrowman claims that the fourth will have a full 13-episode run.

Given that the majority of the cast was killed off during seasons two and three, this would represent a good opportunity for Russell T. Davies and whichever other creators are involved to re-invent the series. Whether the new series will involve the newest Doctor Matt Smith is anybody's guess, however given Davies' departure from the source program (which, granted, was amicable) and his likely desire to similarly remove Torchwood from Doctor Who continuity as much as possible, I doubt it.

So here we have Captain Jack returning to Earth and assembling a new team. Will Gwen be involved as well, child in tow? Are you looking forward to a new season of Torchwood?

SomeUSAGuy

Um, the whole "Gwen has a baby now" is a no-brainer. The baby can be killed off before season 4 or during season 4. Face it, this is very high level drama, where not one character is safe (outside of Capt. Jack).

I'd much rather watch Torchwood, than any other show, where no matter what, the main cast lives (how boring!!!)

December 25 2009 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisa

it will never be the same without GDL/Ianto Jones

December 18 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kuzibah

So, two weeks have gone by and no word from Russell T Davies or the BBC... Anyone think Torchwood is coming back the same way John Barrowman was going to be a desperate housewife?

December 14 2009 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janice Adams

CoE was tortured and bleak I will admit. But it was damn good and the acting was superb by everyone in it. I love Jack Harkness and I find the way Gwen was written was ridiculous. She was a manipulative, immature and unfaithful bitch. Eve did a great job and we all hated her. She treated Jack like a naughty schoolboy and yet seemed to be always yearning after him. Confusion. I can't see her with a baby, being anything but sidelined but like everything else, the cooking, laundry and household duties the baby care will probably be done by her emasculated husband, Rhys, while she merrily goes chasing off with Jack. If they build sexual tension between these two again I will be very disappointed. I think they should find a new love for Jack. Male, dark, mysterious, and exciting. That would suit me just fine. Ianto was handsome and sexy but sometimes his character didn't seem like someone Jack would find exciting.

December 07 2009 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AW

I agree with X_tricks2000 - COE was extremely bleak and I personally don't see the value in telling stories like that. If this were Star Trek TOS, it would have been like blowing up the Enterprise, killing off Spock, not bringing him back, giving Kirk a nervous breakdown and having him run away in a shuttle craft and leaving McCoy and some bird to live happily ever after on a devastated planet. Show's over!

It's not just the massive character killing-off, they've also destroyed the locations. Just about everything Torchwood was has gone. However it continues, it could only be a spin-off of the original conception, so I shall reserve judgement as to whether this is going to be something I invest in.

I much preferred the first two seasons. For all their faults, it was character driven and fun, though often dark, and above all a nice dose of escapism. If season 4 continues in the vain of 'everything must be real and in reality everyone dies', I think I save that for watching the news and not allow myself to be distressed by 'entertainment'.

I'm hoping that when season four returns it will re-capture some of the 'camp fun' people have already alluded to on this page. I also hope that RTD realises that something critical needs to change with Gwen (though beautifully, beautifully played by the lovely Eve Myles) as she is far too unpopular (due to being written like an emotionally dependent (on 3 men at the same time in the first season because she's such a strong woman???), manipulative, spoilt brat, who would willingly poison her fiance with retcon and snog her boss on her wedding day. Personal integrity - helps if the 'heart of the show' has some. I'd rather follow PC Andy's story.

As for Johnny Barrowman, I love the way he plays Jack and was very impressed by his performance in COE, though I think both he and his fans preferred the camper Jack to 'broken because it's more real'. Yeah coz sci fi is all about real.

I think it's a tragedy that he won't have Gareth David-Lloyd to act with as their scenes were beautiful and brought the best out of both of them as actors. It was their story that was the most captivating element of the show - how two such damaged souls could find each other. A love story really.

But no. Let's destroy that, cater for a bigger but more passive audience, forget character driven material and come up with a terrible, soul destroying plot that relies on death scenes and child torture to make an impact.

*unexpectedly also still bitter and getting less eloquent with every snark*

December 06 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

To me Torchwood died with CoE, so while I'm happy for JB the only place I'll be watching Jack in the future would be in DW, I hope they ask him back for that

December 04 2009 at 5:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KB13

Torchwood is nothing without Ianto Jones. No season 4 for me.

December 03 2009 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I'm not trying to be negative, just I feel I need to point out that there are a lot of assumptions in this article. I don't think many ever doubted John (and Jack) would be back in some capacity, and it's great he is, but the question was, would he be in all 13 episodes or not? That question is still unanswered, because although he's signed and it's a 13 episode series, has it actually said anywhere he would be in all 13?

Also, who said Jack would be coming back to earth to assemble a new team? It could just as likely be that he returns to Earth to find that Gwen has asembled a new team in his absence.

Just sayin', lol.

December 03 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
x_tricks2000

All I can say is: I'll pass.

While I was unhappy with Ianto's death (and the presentation of it as yet another angsty queer dies trope) that's not my objection to the new series. Certainly not Gwen, whom I love, along with Jack.

But I'm not interested in watching a show created by someone who thinks telling a story as fundamentally without hope as CoE was is worthwhile. It's certainly not worth my time to watch or be invested in.

Whatever the Powers That Be like to claim; Torchwood was a campy, sexy, sometimes funny, often tragic show built around characters, not (frequently not well plotted) story. Watching the characters I've been encouraged to care about be brutalized for an adolescent fantasy of 'realism means the world is ugly and people are sad' is not something I do for entertainment. Or am willing to do at all.

December 03 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to x_tricks2000's comment
AW

Couldn't agree more with that. Very well said.

December 06 2009 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

There are several ways this could go and Torchwood would be only that more brilliant...bring back Captain John!!!! Now that was hot!!! He could be a "reluctant" member of the new team. Talk about sexy, quirky stories that could come from that!!! I just wish I didn't have to wait for it to be shown on BBC America.
On another note...do you ever wonder if the "powers that be" for any show ever read (and take into consideration) the fans' opinions and comments???

December 03 2009 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to B's comment
Maritza

There is only one actor who could play Capt. Jack Harkness and thats John Barrowman. He lives and breaths this character and to have anyone play him would simply not work.
As for the show in general, I really can't see how they are gonna go forward without Ianto Jones. I personally believe the writers slid their own throats when they killed him off. Yes I know it made a great dramatic scene, Ianto's death, and the acting of Gareth David Lloyd was wonderful, but they also killed off the heart and spirit of Torchwood. The show now is too bitter to watch without the spark that the connection between Jack and Ianto gave off. It's just too sad. So I wish the show luck when it returns but it will be without me.

December 03 2009 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply