April 16, 2014

What were the ten most-watched TV episodes of the decade?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 2nd 2009 7:05PM
FriendsSome of this list is going to be very predictable and some of it is going to surprise you.

The Hollywood Reporter has the list of the ten most-watched TV episodes of the past ten years. Now, you know that shows like American Idol (season six premiere), Survivor (first season finale), and Friends (series finale) would be on the list, but how about the series finale of Spin City? Maybe it's because I never got into that show but I never really thought it would make the top ten (of the decade anyway). The ER episode where Lucy died is also in the top ten, as is the Grey's Anatomy episode that aired after the Super Bowl in 2006. The number three episode? Well, that just surprises and depresses the hell out of me.

Any episodes not make it that you thought would be on such a list?

izikavazo

I started paying attention to TV ratings back when Friends was getting those numbers and they were spilling into NBCs other shows. Those were good times. It's hard to comprehend how far the numbers have fallen. 52 million is an insane amount of people, now I'm happy to see double digits for NBC.

December 03 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

5 out of the 10 on this list were in the year 2000. I wonder if there is a specific reason for that . . . ....

December 03 2009 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Takayo

Yay internet! Wonder how they'll tabulate things for the next decade.

I was laughing at "Joe Millionaire".

December 03 2009 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

It's tough to list the top episodes of a decade that is still 13 months away from ending. (The 21st century began on 1/1/2001.)

Considering this, I wonder if the series finale of LOST will make the real list?

December 03 2009 at 6:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Galley

While millennia do indeed begin with year "1", decades generally run "0 - 9".

December 03 2009 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

It wasn't even the series finale of Spin City...it was a season finale...Michael J. Fox's last

December 02 2009 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notatoad

wow. i watch a lot of TV, but i didn't see a single one of those.

December 02 2009 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to notatoad's comment
RobynM

Oh good - after looking at the list, I was fairly certain I'd be the only one to have seen a whopping none of them. Glad I was proven wrong.

December 04 2009 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan C

i watched code black. i remember throughout the entire week and the day of, all i could think of was, holy hell i need to know what the f a code black is. and i watched it and it was good, got me to watch grey's but i immediately turned it off last season when ghosts and people started doing it.

December 02 2009 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed_C.

Neat list and all, but aren't top 10 lists supposed to start at number 10 and show the winner last?

December 02 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply