September 19, 2014

Olbermann lights the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 3rd 2009 6:29PM
If you're wondering who actually flicked the switch for the always impressive Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, you might be surprised or violently angry depending on your personal opinions.

MSNBC's professional right-wing pundit impressionist Keith Olbermann lit the tree during last night's episode of Countdown while dishing on Tiger Woods' series of trysts with gossip monger Michael Musto like a couple of housewives in a beauty parlor with baritone voice. Olbermann officially ushered in Christmas with a switch that looks like he raided the trash bin after NBC dismantled the Family Feud set. Then without missing a beat, the two jump right back into the Tiger trashing.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Roger

Surely you know that was a joke and he did not actually light the Rockerfeller Center tree. If anyone here really believes that, then I truly question their judgement.

December 06 2009 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharon

I don't feel sorry for Tiger Woods, he is just another over-paid sportsman. Ok, so the kid can hit a golf ball like no-one else, but does that make him a saint? I think some people are being too soft on Tiger, if he has cheated on his wife and betrayed his family then he deserves a bit of bad publicity. It seems that most of the sports blogs listed online at the sports index Dozensports.com are being too nice. Why can't we say bad stuff about Tiger?

December 05 2009 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

It's been something of an annual joke that KO "lights" the tree. His new(ish) set at NBC World News HQ overlook the treelighting (and the televised ceremony). Each year during the final segment of his show on the night of the treelighting, he makes a big show about pulling out the switch (could it be Conan's old Walker Texas Ranger lever?) and "turns on" the tree.

December 04 2009 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I was right:

They had a whole big outdoor celebration going on, hosted by by 30 Rock's Jane Krakowski and Chuck's Zachary Levi. NBC showed the special on the air (I didn't watch it) and at 8:55pm, they flipped the switch. That's when Olbermann did his little joke and pretended like he was flipping the switch. It was flipped for real on NBC, live at the tree. The fake switch-flipping by Keith on MSNBC was just a joke.

I'm sure Fox News will make a big deal out of it anyway.

December 04 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Surely that was a joke, he didn't actually turn on the switch that actually lit the tree. Someone there, in person, at the tree must have done it following a countdown (no pun intended) of some sort.

There is no way that nonchalant little button-push, in the midst of Tiger Woods gossip, was the actual button that turned on the actual tree. Keith's probably just trying to goad Bill O'Reilly into screaming about the make-believe, antisemitic "War on Christmas" Bill blabs about every December.

For what it's worth I love Keith's Lou Dobbs impression.

December 03 2009 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
mb

I agree with Bruce - I think it was a joke. It also explained why the tree suddenly came on behind him.

December 03 2009 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Gallagher

I was referring to the fact that he does those silly voices of pundits like Bill O'Reilly, Lou Dobbs and others. Just thought I'd clear that up.

December 03 2009 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toolman

Well he's not my favorite person (still the lesser of evils), I think that was pretty clever.

December 03 2009 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

I am guessing that the honor of lighting the Christmas tree was NOT based on his ratings.

December 03 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply