September 21, 2014

World goes nuts because the President preempts A Charlie Brown Christmas

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 3rd 2009 1:02PM
A Charlie Brown ChristmasIt's official: President Barack Obama has officially ruined Christmas.

Pundits and TV viewers from up and down the dial are calling out President Obama for airing his big speech on the troop surge in Afghanistan and preempting ABC's airing of the classic Christmas cartoon A Charlie Brown Christmas. If this causes a move for impeachment, I may never awake from my laughter coma.

Not only was the story the top headline on yesterday morning's Drudge Report, but the pundits really jumped in to turn the President into their own personal Scrooge.

The harshest and most unintentionally hilarious swing came from (who else?) Glenn Beck who attempted to pick up the show's fallen torch by reciting Linus' wonderful speech in his stead. And don't misunderstand me. I'm a huge fan of the Peanuts and especially of the Charlie Brown Christmas special. I'm still cursing the day that I didn't win the role of Snoopy in the 3rd grade.

But Glenn really seems to see Linus as some sort of divine messenger. Something tells me Glenn has a security blanket in his office that has racked up more mileage than The Stig from Top Gear.

And stop worrying, ABC has announced they will air the special next week. And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

wulfn1

I'm just glad he hasn't invaded the non network channels yet... I can still escape him!

December 07 2009 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

Why can't they schedule these speeches for a late Saturday afternoon when people are likely still at home for dinner/supper and have not gone out to the movies yet?For that matter why not break into regular radio stations as well? Since nothing is one at these times, it would not hurt any shows. It may not get many viewers but hey who cares.

December 04 2009 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mo

As to Glenn Beck, I don't watch his show and didn't know about it. But guess what? Linus could be considered a divine messenger, since what he says is straight from Scripture - you know, that book called the Bible that is the foundation for Jesus and this season and therefore the special?

Perhaps you need to watch it more closely next year.

December 04 2009 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mo

Obama offends me for a million different reasons. This is only one of them.

December 04 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

Obama is on Tv too much, getting sick of seeing him actually +o(

December 03 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

I never understood why programming from private broadcasters had to be interrupted for presidential addresses - what is PUBLIC broadcasting for if not for PUBLIC information? What the address on PBS if you're so inclined (or on one of the 24/7 News channels), then your DVR schedule isn't rooned...

That said the outcry generated for one particular program makes no sense...

December 03 2009 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philly_phenom's comment
BC McKinney

"Private" broadcasters use publicly-owned spectrum at no cost, and are thus required to act in the "public interest" by airing occasional special programming (and are bound by "decency" rules, etc., that cable and satellite stations are not). Still, the networks can refuse the President's request for airtime if they deem the speech insufficiently newsworthy, and have done so in the past.

Since the network apparently did think the speech newsworthy, I don't see why the animosity is directed at the President rather than the network. Actually, I do see, but I don't like the reason.

December 03 2009 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher12

With so much time between now and Christmas, and so much crap on television, why don't they just reschedule?

December 03 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Christopher12's comment
CC

I think it has been rescheduled (for the following Tuesday).

December 03 2009 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Personally, I was offended when the Grinch stole Christmas on November 30th.

December 03 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply