October 25, 2014

Jersey Shore: Series Premiere - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 4th 2009 2:36PM
Joel already posted about the controversy surrounding the new MTV reality show Jersey Shore. Is it insulting to Italians? To people who live in New Jersey? To anyone with good taste? I think I'm more offended that we have yet another lame show about young people living in a house (though the use of the word "Guido" is bizarre to me - I'm from a huge Italian family and I've never heard anyone use that term - and equating being Italian with tanning and the use of hair gel).

It premiered last night. What did you think? Here's the episode if you missed it.

Lus Adv

"I've been readying these funny Jersey Shore episode reviews with animated images. Here is one from last episode: http://bit.ly/evhe11

February 12 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Black

I watched the first two episodes and i have to say i laughed all through the show. It's really hilarious. I can understand some Italian Americans being upset by the show but it's so out there that you can't really take it serious. The characters in Jersey shore fit the stereotype because they were probably casted to reflect the "guido" lifestyle (obsessive amounts of hair Gel and protein shakes, loud, muscled), but their behavior isn't any different from the people in any season of The real World. If anyone hasn't seen it i suggest you do.

December 09 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malfoy Roark

Best stuff MTV has put on in years.

December 04 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

I lived in Jersey for nine years and heard the term "guido" more than you can imagine. And yes, the show is offensive to anyone with taste.

December 04 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zamir

I catched some of it last night and i was surprise that it's real world format of putting strangers in house, i thought it was going to be more like all these people knew each other before hand, like that one episode of true life MTV did once called "I'm a Jersey Shore Girl" and another one were the rent shore house for the summer I forget the name of that episode.

But I was also surprised that most of the people living the house are people from upstate, ny and not actually new jersey natives, but maybe that's better for NJ reputation (hopefully, because i'm from NJ).

The show is from what I saw in the episode and the preview for the season at the end of the episode just seems like typical sleazy real world situations like betrayal , backstabbing, hooking up, "oh, shit" moments and we all love each in the end and are sorry for some of things we did in the house affair, just with sprayed on tans, spiky hair, dressed up in ugly tight ed hardy clothing.

A messed up part on my end was when I laughed during the preview for the season were one of the girls in the house got punched by some roided out douche in a "of course" out context scene, but something about it was so messed up that it became funny to me and i know it's bad obliviously, but then again the producers on these shows are putting the people dangerous situations and then putting it on TV, so who's really the Messed Up one.

December 04 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

Hmmm, I'm from an Italian family and we call those guys "Guidos" all the time. Maybe it's an East Coast thing. I live in Northern NJ and I went to school with a bunch of guys that were probably just like the guys on the show. I haven't watched it yet but will soon. Probably get a chuckle or two.

December 04 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vince's comment
RobynM

Nah, "Guido" gets substantial usage out here on the West Coast as well.

December 04 2009 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply