July 22, 2014

Anyone watching Ghost Hunters Academy?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Dec 6th 2009 9:00AM
Ghost Hunters AcademyI'm a recent convert to the whole ghost hunters-paranormal brand of television programming. I love watching people go into dark and scary places like abandoned insane asylums and ancient prisons to track down those pesky spirits.

Even if part of me is thinking, "Why bother the poor ghosts? They're not bothering anyone in these places. They probably just want to be left alone." But of course, people continue to do it, and we continue to watch because it's fascinating.

But one thing I'm not all that keen on is when these shows turn to unnecessary reality programming type fare. I'm talking about Ghost Hunters Academy. I don't need to see novice ghost hunters learn how to be a ghost hunter, and then get eliminated one by one. I don't need to see them being duped with goofy fake fog or weird sounds to see how they'll react and freak out. I'd rather the real ghost hunters just get back to doing what they do best: hunting ghosts.

What about you? Are you watching -- and liking -- Ghost Hunters Academy?

AndrewKA

I’ve seen it a few times. I enjoy a lot of the paranormal shows, Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters International etc. There even better when watching with my Logitech Revue handy. With it I can pause the program and surf the internet to look up facts on what they’re researching, the locations, history or whatever else I feel like doing. It’s integrated seamlessly to my DISH Network DVR, so switching between the two feels as though it’s a single device. Being a DISH Network employee I had heard that Logitech, Google and DISH (3 of my favorite companies) were working together to create enhanced features between the equipment and it turned out really well. It’s changed the way I watch TV for the better and was my favorite technology purchase of last year and to make it even better DISH offers a discount to their customers on the price of the Revue.

April 23 2011 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Jane, the whole Ghost Hunters thing is reality TV of a sort. One thing it shouldn't be is on the Sci-Fi/Syfy channel. Not that it matters anyway. I have no interest in any show like that regardless of what channel it is on.

January 24 2010 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I have never missed an episode of Ghost Hunters. I was very disappointed in this Ghost Hunters Academy show. It is just like a throwback of Survivor. I have never really cared for that Survivor show.

What a terrible way to ruin a show. Make it just like every generic reality show out there.

I couldn't care less if Ghost Hunters Academy gets cancelled.

January 14 2010 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANNE

Also, as I had run out of space, watching GH Academy is painful as this group seems to me like a bunch of bumbling idiots....You would think that before applying to be part of this selected group (and having claimed to have been ghost hunting already prior to joining) that they would have observed how the team of GH perform their investigations and learned the techniques they use. They seem as though they had never seen the shows before. My husband and I could do a much better job of it - just give us the equipment and send us on our way. All we are lacking is the equipment. If they took applicants from Toronto, away we'd go...!
I find the show extremely boring, all the while yelling at them through the t.v. to try this, and go there, try that, etc. They all look too scared to give it an honest try.
And that medium garbage - I'm sorry....but so far, I have yet to have heard any of those claims made to be true. I think they all need to go and a new team needs to be selected.
My husband would be a great de-bunker, working in the HVAC trade (similar to the ROTOROOTER skills, as they somewhat overlap in certain circumstances). GH Academy I simply cannot stomach anymore.

January 14 2010 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Cox

I love Ghost Hunters and other paranormal activity investigative shows. Somehow, Ghost Hunters Academy didn't achieve anything. The evidence was always discounted. It seemed like a ghost hunter's version of American Idol. The drama was annoying as well. If it returns, I won't follow it anymore.

January 12 2010 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susan Cox's comment
ANNE

Unlike a few of you, I am an avid fan of ghosts and ghost hunting (I have tried it myself at my sister's house, where she has had - as has her young son, several experiences) but without all of the necessary equipment, it has been less than fruitful in terms of being able to collect evidence other than some evps).
The funny thing is that if one believes in GOD and/or life after death, then it stands to reason that there very well could be the possibility of the existence of ghosts.

January 14 2010 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarkMom

I watch GH routinely, I never watch GHI (did at first, but it's pathetic, along the lines of Ghost Adventures or Most Haunted, screaming and shivering and "spooky feelings") and GHA can't find paranormal activity in the best places GH has ever visited. That said, when you get rid of the "psychics," these students are way more professional than GHI. But the producers have turned it into "Survivor in the Dark." Blah. And where are all the "new investigators" from previous competitions that GH ran?

December 12 2009 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vinson

I don't believe in ghosts, although I do like watching shows on Travel and Discovery sometimes just for fun. Ghost Hunters isn't all that fun, it's mostly boring. But Ghost Hunters Academy is worse. The two teachers take themselves way too seriously and their combative way of teaching these kids how to find ghosts is annoying as hell. They yell at them for doing things the "professional" ghost hunters did in the series less than an hour before. And the fat one with the is the worst. Someone makes a mistake and right off the bat he's yelling at them. Jesus, they're learning how to hunt GHOSTS! I bet he beats his kids. Seriously! And the way this show is structured like "Survivor" is horrible, especially the way they try to be subtle about it, "One or two of you may have to be going home tonight." If this is honest ghost buster "training" then they would have fired that annoying girl and sent her home long ago. It shouldn't matter that the other guy was leaving. Send them both home. You just picked up another employee/student! How many people does it take to catch a ghost anyway? And Nate's right, if the people involved with these shows really believed in this BS, they would stick around for more than a night to investigate.

December 10 2009 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy P

Get rid of Jane - she is obnoxious, rude and disrespectful. She is constantly interrupting Steve and Dave - usually to say something defensive or to attempt to call someone else out. She takes no responsiblity. She puts herself ahead of the team. It's seems more important to her to look like she knows what she's doing when she doesn't instead of asking questions. I find her weak. There's a difference between being a b**** and just being b**chy.

p.s. I like the show. Bummer to see Chris go - from an audience perspective - he just maintained as a good, straight-up, intelligent person. Says a lot that he missed his family.

December 09 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy P

Get rid of Jane, she is obnoxious, rude, she interrupts Steve and Dave all the time - usually to say something defensive or attacking toward another team member. She is disrespectful and always trying to cover her butt. Some may call her a b****, but that word might suggest a strong woman - I'll just call her weak and someone who cannot back up her own bs.

December 09 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply