Review: Desperate Housewives - Boom Crunch
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 6th 2009 2:08AM
(S06E10) "Your mom needs help, and so does Mike." - Susan to Dylan
There we go, dear TV Squad readers, a few of our wishes and theories concerning Desperate Housewives have come true this week in the Christmas-themed installment of the show. I mentioned a few weeks back that I wanted Dylan, Katherine's daughter, to come back to Wisteria Lane and help her mother, and it came true. And two weeks ago, a few of you predicted the accurate turn of events concerning Katherine's stabbing.
But Katherine's crazy storyline wasn't the important event of the last episode of 2009. As teased for weeks, the lives of the Wisteria Lane citizens were rocked by a boom and a crunch.
Before I comment on the crash, let's deal with the other storylines:
- Crazy Katherine: Dylan was finally called to Wisteria Lane to give her mother a much needed reality check. I was a tad surprised by the fact that Katherine told her daughter that she (Kat) was married to Mike and that Susan was of the stalking and stabbing kind. However, it quickly made sense to me that Kat would try to live her dream life through her phone chats with her daughter. Even if Katherine was in crazy mode, she was definitely sane deep down inside, as she knew that if Dylan came to see her, everything would crash and burn. I wonder if Katherine will end up in the same loony bin as Dave. After all, Marc Cherry did say that he would love to bring Dave back in somehow.
- The Scavos vs the Solises: The war is still on even if Lynette tried to apologize and even if Bree ordered Gaby and Lynette to make up. However, as some of you posted in comments to my last review, they will more than likely be friends again due to the tragedy that happened this week.
- The Love Triangle: Can you believe that Orson has been bluffing all these months?! He was even way too peaceful when Bree handed him the divorce papers and told him she had been seeing someone. I expected a scene from Orson at that point. Of course, I was rewarded later in the episode when Karl had to tell Orson that he, Karl, was Bree's boyfriend and that he was about to propose. Orson took it out on Karl, and I wouldn't be surprised if Karl ends up being one of the dead ones. This could lead to a new murder mystery ... What if Orson was so enraged that he killed Karl during their fight? Karl's death would be rule as accidental at first due to the plane crashing in. But if the morgue staff investigates a bit further, they could discover he died before the crash ... Even if I don't want Karl to die since I'm a Karl/Bree shipper, I must say that a Karl murder mystery could be interesting for a few weeks.
- The Bolens: We didn't learn much more about what Angie did except that it happened 18 years ago and that it goes along with the word "terrorist." No matter, their storyline got crunchier when nurse Mona learned the truth and decided to blackmail them. Lucky for the Bolens, it looks like the plane crash will allow them to stay a tad longer on Wisteria Lane.
Let's talk "boom" and "crunch". The way the plane crashed, it's more than likely that a few people, besides the pilot (played by The Simpsons' Dan Castellaneta) and probably his wife, died. Rumors in the past week said that three people would die during this dramatic event.
My predictions are: Karl, Celia, Mona
- I don't want Karl to die but, as I've pointed out before, his death could bring a new mystery to Wisteria Lane.
- A few years ago, spoilers sources claimed that Marc Cherry was toying with the idea of killing one of the show's kids -- back then, the twins were rumored as being killed off -- to have a storyline where a family would have to cope with the death of a child. Having Celia die would offer Cherry such an opportunity. Also, Celia has been extremely underused on the show, so this death would allow the writers to get rid of a character they don't know how to handle.
- It's best that Mona dies since she knows everything about the Bolens and we can't have them be arrested just yet. That's stuff for February Sweeps if not May Sweeps.
Do you agree with my predictions or do you think other people will die? Share your theories in comments below.
The next new episode should air on January 3rd.
[Watch clips and episodes of Desperate Housewives and other shows at SlashControl.]