October 22, 2014

AP lists Top TV shows of the decade

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 7th 2009 11:01AM
LostThe television writing staff at The Associated Press has listed their Top 10 TV shows of the decade. The exact criteria of the list remains uncertain, but I believe it's based on the impact of the shows on popular culture.

It's a good list. The only show on it I would question would be The Shield. In its place I would likely put Firefly or Family Guy, either of which proved that poor initial ratings do not translate into the failure of a franchise.

The Internet changed television when it came to popularity in the 1990's. The concept of a continuing storyline in a series became a necessity. Shows like Babylon 5 would not have survived the first season without it. In the 2000's, it was more of the same allowing for shows like the aforementioned to be given life after death and even restart certain franchises (Futurama).

What do you think the next decade will bring?

Bill

Wow, you would question the Shield?? The Shield changed how free cable stations were viewed and what they were allowed to broadcast. It put FX on the map. Not to mention it was a high quality show, with great characters and had one of the greatest pilot episodes of all time.

I also agree that 24 needs to be mentioned here. It's real time concept and anti-terrorism theme in the wake of 9/11 were groundbreaking and the character of Jack Bauer is one of the iconic characters of the decade.

December 08 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

This is not a "best of the decade" list. It's more of a "zeitgeist" list, that is, programs that influenced pop culture and established new trends on television. That's why "The Wire", which many consider the best series this decade, is not on here.

December 07 2009 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

CC, OZ put HBO on the map, not The Sopranos.... and any list without "The Wire" for best show of the 2000s is an incomplete list.

But, when doing these lists, comedies, dramas, etc should be separated, not lumped together because there were plenty of good sitcoms out there.

December 07 2009 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

24 is the series of the 00's. Most people just don't realize it yet....

Outside of that, I'm OK with this list (Mad Men's not on it! Yay!). I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of The Sopranos, but it did put HBO on the map, leading to the development of other quality shows (Big Love, Six Feet Under, Rome, In Treatment), and it forced Showtime to enter the original series game. Daily Show? American Idol? No question. I'm not sure The Shield deserves to be on here. Yes, it was one of the first dramas on basic cable, but you could make an argument for Monk boosting the USA Network's profile as being more influential.

December 07 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I think 24 deserves mention.
It's kind of become a joke now, but it seemed so unique and original when it first aired. And I feel like it paved the way for alot of the serial stuff on network TV that came later.

December 07 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Frank's comment
Jason B

24 during it's peak (first three seasons) was far and away the best television around.

December 07 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

I agree with all those who say without The Wire on this list it is a joke, though I would use stronger language normally to voice my objection.

December 07 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alan's comment
prayingcolonel1

Agreed. No Wire = fail.

No "Mad Men" either? Or "Breaking Bad"? But they somehow found room for "High School Musical"? Give me a break.

December 07 2009 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

Happy to see that I am not the only one that fails to see the Firefly be anything more than a slightly better than average series...

December 07 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Sorry, but a list like this without The Wire isn't really a list at all. It's a joke.

December 07 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lee's comment
Michael

Hell yes

December 07 2009 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KVC

You've got to be kidding. You would leave the Osbournes and High School Musical (which is really a tv-film not a show) while removing the Shield for Firefly (and how did it over come low ratings? By having a poorly viewed movie?) or the idiotic Family Guy. And you actually get paid for this gig?

December 07 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KVC's comment
Dan

This list is a complete joke.
High School Musical?
Survivor?
The Osbornes?
CSI?
American Idol?

Basically they are completely oblivious to quality if those are their choices of the "best shows of the decade". They can actually put CSI in over Dexter. They can actually choose Survivor over ANYTHING. They can actually say that The Osbornes is anything more than utter trash. They can say that High School Musical is a TV Show (and one that is anything but cheese at that) and that American Idol represents quality.
I will show how pathetic this list is below by showing the shows they felt were WORSE than the Osbornes and High School Musical: (not all of which I am a fan of, but I am aware of the quality)
Malcolm in the Middle
The Big Bang Theory
Chuck
Breaking Bad
Better Off Ted
Modern Family
The Middle

That list is a joke if it includes HSM, CSI, Idol, The Osbornes and doesn't include any of those listed above. Pathetic. Those "writers" should be ashamed of themselves.

December 07 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

I'm sorry, but Joss Whedon fanatics have taken 14, FOURTEEN, episodes of Firefly and overblown its significance way beyond reason.

There must be at least three seasons of The Shield that simply obliterates it in terms of plot/acting/significant events.

The Wire is a better paced and better-executed version of the Shield, so I can understand there being some overlap.

December 07 2009 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jay's comment
John

Firefly is WAY overrated. And I've seen it. And I'm a huge Joss fan. It was good but not the holy of holies every makes it out to be.

December 07 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply