August 30, 2014

Kelsey Grammer's big news is that he yanked Hank

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 7th 2009 10:01AM
hank_kelsey_grammerOn October 14, Kelsey Grammer was telling the media to tune in to his ABC sitcom Hank because the show was getting better and better. More funny, he said. Well, now that Kelsey has accepted the fact that Hank is dead and buried -- except for whatever episodes ABC burns off down the road -- Kelsey's may be singing a different tune.

Kelsey pulled the plug on Hank because it wasn't funny. That's according to an interview he did in which he claims that after the Thanksgiving episode, he returned to work and the show was just not getting any laughs. "Honestly, it just wasn't very funny ... We finished and I was like, 'Oh boy, there wasn't a laugh in the house on this one.' And I called the president of Warner Brothers ... and I said, 'Listen, when can we put a bullet in this thing?'"

Assuming that the story is accurate, it sounds a lot better than the version in which WB and ABC delivered a pink slip to Kelsey. Although considering Grammer's stature in the business (he'll show you his Emmys), it may be true that he called them before they called him.

There's little question, though, that ABC was going to dump Hank even if Kelsey believed that the show could improve with time. The ratings were dreadful, a drag on a Wednesday night of sitcoms that has been pretty successful.

In this interview, there's a contradiction of sorts. Kelsey claims that he's relieved that he doesn't have to schlep to the studio anymore. He says that he was devoting ten to twelve hours a day at work and he wanted his life back.

Hmm ... I don't know if that's really believable. Grammer worked consistently on Fox's Back to You and was active in pilot season, then he got Hank on the air. If he didn't want to work, why was he pursuing work?

Also, the fact that Kelsey's now going to star on Broadway in La Cage Aux Folles sounds like a man who's ready to work hard. In fact, in the legitimate theater, he'll be asked to do eight shows a week.

dan

I love Kelsey Grammer & would love to see him back in a sitcom I thought the TG episode of "Hank" was great in fact & hoped it was being re-tooled, but alas it isn't so and I for 1 thought the premiseof the show really could've worked well it just seemed forced or uptight for lack of. He's a talent that should be on our TV screens for a long time to come and I'm a little sadder knowing that's not likely for a while now. He was in our homes for yrs. and like the loss of a long lived family pet he will be mourned! Please find a show worthy of Kelsey to flex his daunting comedic muscles in for only can a similar pet of appearance and personality can come close to replacing a lost loved one.

December 11 2009 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I don't think the networks give new shows a chance for people to find and follow them......... they expect a lovefest from the start..... I love DROP DEAD DIVA on lifetime.... I hope it is one of the shows they bring back in a new season.

Fraiser.........well ....like Superman, I think the die is cast for most folk....

December 11 2009 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronald Smith

NOW LETS GET LENO TO ADMIT HIS SHOW REALLY STINKS, ALSO AND FOR NBC TO DROP IT LIKE A HOT POTATO AND ADMIT THE ERROR THEY MADE PUTTING THE CRAPPY SHOW,WASTEING PRIME A TIME HOUR.

December 09 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen

I love Kelsey Grammer..........I watch all of his re-run's
from "Fraiser"...........every night of the week 4 times.......and 2 times on w/e's..........I am going to buy all of the past shows..........this has got to be the best of the best during the week.........Can they come back.....we need more shows like on TV every night........"Fraiser" rules.......I am 62 years young.....I hope the re-runs last till I am 100:).........bring it on.......does anyone........now where to buy all of the "Frasier Series" Thank you

December 09 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Matt

YOU PEOPLE PROBABLY DON'TLIKE HIM BECAUSE HE IS A CONSERVATIVE IN HOLLYWOOD. HE DID NOT AND WILL NOT EVER SUPPORT LIBERAL POLITICS....WHICH THIS CURRENT ADMINISTRATION IS PACKED TO THE BRIM WITH.

December 09 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
butch the bold

After the wit and class of Frazier, I could NOT stomach the premise that Kelsey Grammer's characters would be married or divorced to any plain jane persona women, like the vanilla pudding of Patricia Heaton(Everybody loves Raymond), or be a foil for anyone mediocre or uneducated. His smart, fast and highly intelligent comedy farce was based on his verbal jousting with smart, sophisticated people. There were some exceptions, like "Bulldog" but even the stupid ones were done with class. His lady counterparts in all his shows were beautiful, smart, sophisticated and slightly evil, just like he needed. To paraphrase a good quote, "Don't put your thoroughbred stallions with local mules". Give him an exceptional foil, like Glenn Close, Mia Farrow, Jane Fonda, those women of strength and timelessness, and he will have another winner! Why not Barbra Streisand, Cher, some of the biggest names in the business! I can see him verbally fighting with a strong, beautiful jet set woman; not the homebody sally field types.

December 09 2009 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

Well, when we're so used to seeing him as Frasier, anything else pales in comparison. A Frasier special would be nice. Just bring back all the old writers and actors.

December 09 2009 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

The networks had already anounced that they planned to not renew the show at the end of the season. If he had better writers and a better cast he possibly could have salvaged it. He just took the easy way out to try and save face.

December 09 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colette Bitsos

What happened to great sitcoms with "Archie Bunkers", "the Jeffersons", Mayberry with Opie, , etc.. all we see now are nymphets, barely dressed, silly jokes talking about sex as if they had invented it, drugs, all with no meaning what-so-ever. I've never seen yet a good sitcom that made an impression. They are garbage.

December 09 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

My spelling is as bad. Shouldn't type so fast but wanted to comment on Heaton's show. Equally painful..
Thanks SUsan for not picking on me.lol

December 09 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply