November 22, 2014

'As the World Turns' Canceled

by Michael Maloney, posted Dec 8th 2009 1:19PM

The beloved American icon will air its final broadcast in September 2010.

"It is extremely difficult to say good-bye to a long-running series that's been close to our hearts for so long," said Barbara Bloom, Senior Vice President, Daytime Programming in a statement released by CBS. "The almanacs will show 'As the World Turns' as a pioneer of the format, a hallmark for quality with its numerous Emmys, the launch pad for many television and film stars and a daytime ratings powerhouse for parts of three decades."

The show has been averaging 2.5 million viewers this year, according to CBS.As the World TurnsSoap fans just got an early lump of coal in their stockings, as CBS has canceled TV's longest-running sudser 'As the World Turns.'

The beloved American icon will air its final broadcast in September 2010.

The show has been averaging 2.5 million viewers this year, according to CBS.

The Irna Phillips-created drama premiered on April 1, 1956 and launched the careers of Julianne Moore, Meg Ryan, and Parker Posey, just to name a few. The show has also won multiple Daytime Emmys for Outstanding Drama Series, most recently in 2003.

The daily drama has been written over the years by famed soap scribes Agnes Nixon, William J. Bell, Bridget and Jerome Dobson and Douglas Marland. The show has been responsible for many of soaps' most dramatic moments and storylines including the Kim/Bob/Susan triangle, the antics of Lisa Miller, John Dixon walking in on his own murder trial, the introduction of the 'have-not' Snyder clan, victim Barbara Ryan turning into the town bitch, the Doug Cummings murder trial, Margo's HIV rape, and, recently, the Brad/Katie love story. Suffice to say there will be a major absence in drama after this world stops turning.

Is this the end-all for 'As the World Turns'? Well, not exactly. It's possible that the show could still find a new home. "We are proactively seeking a new outlet to carry the show, and are open to exploring innovative formats and relationships that will enable the future success of ATWT," said Brian T. Cahill, Senior Vice President and Managing Director, TeleNext Media, Inc.

Tell us: Will you miss 'As the World Turns?'

pATRICIA JENKINS

I have watched as The world turns since the first day. I am sick about it. Imhave missedmvery few shows. Please find some one else to pick up "as the world turns"?????? hope to hear some good news about my "AS THE WORLD TUIRNS" PCJ

July 15 2010 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victoria Lolmaugh

I think that it is terriable that CBS is taking AS THE WORLD TURNS off T.V. What are they going to replace it with something stupid like LET'S MAKE A DEAL, or have another talk show put on.
I've been watching ATWT's since I was little(a long time ago)If we would go to my grandma's when it would be on we could'nt talk, or she would slug you.
CBS you are making a big mistake by taking ATWT off T.V. Why don't you give it a second chance?

July 10 2010 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Victoria Lolmaugh's comment
pATRICIA JENKINS

Please find someone to piock up "my "As the World Turns" I have been watching this soap since its beginning. Pleasem do something to keep it going? Please? Please???

July 15 2010 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
prarysioux

First GL, now ATWT. Next they'll cancel Y&R. Daytime TV on CBS really sucks. If the shows are too expensive to produce, perhaps the producers should take a good long hard look at what they are doing and find a way to cut the expenditures so the shows could be saved and the actors/actresses still have jobs. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the cast would take a small pay cut if it meant the show stayed on the air and they still had jobs. Looking at the volume of posts here, it is very obvious that young and old alike enjoy their soaps, so why don't the TV executives wake up and smell the roses. Pay attention to your viewers people! Get rid of the stupid stuff, Let's Make A Deal, Price is Right, etc and all those infomercials. What they pay for those sets could be channelled into keeping our soaps.....figure it out guys, we want our shows!!!

June 28 2010 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda2you

I hate you CBS! There are lonely old people in this world and we need the families that we've been living with for 54 years. You
young pups in your executive positions. May you live long enough to feel the emptiness you have caused.

June 28 2010 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda2you

This has been 'my family' for 54 years. I will subscribe to whatever station will view it after CBS dumps it. ATWT is much more important to me than CBS!!!

June 28 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sallie

APPARENTLY IT IS CHEAPER TO LET WHAT WE WANT TO SEE GO, THAN TO PAY SOME DECENT WRITERS TO WRITE THE SHOW. YOUNG AND RESTLESS IS ON ITS LAST DAYS ALSO I AM SURE. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING AS THE WORLD TURNS, AND EDGE OF NIGHT, AND THE REST SINCE THEY CAME ON. I AM 71 AND I TOO AM CHANGING NETWORKS, GOING TO ONE THAT CARES WHAT THE HECK THE OLDER GENERATION WANTS TO SEE.

June 28 2010 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie

I have been watching GL & ATWT since beginning. What is retired people going to watch? I hate game shows.
Shame on CBS

June 28 2010 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcy

I agree that it is the all mighty dollar. CBS does suck for this. I have watched Guilding Light and ATWT ever sence I can remeber and my life will truely have a hole in it now.
I will be finding another channel to tune into for all my TV viewing.

June 28 2010 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Once again, it all comes down to the almighty dollar. So what if you make two cents less?? What are they going to put on instead; some stupid game show that stinks??

June 28 2010 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori Marvin

I first started watching ATWT when I was a stay at home mom. It has been a favorite of my entire family for many years. I will miss the real life story lines that have never been overdone. It has always had a wonderful group of core actors making it easy to follow. Wishing all the actors new and fabulous careers.

June 28 2010 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply