April 16, 2014

Bryant Gumbel reveals that he had cancer surgery

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 8th 2009 9:45AM
Bryant GumbelTalk about keeping a secret... Subbing for Regis Philbin on Live with Regis and Kelly, Bryant Gumbel just revealed that, like Reege, he's also recovering from recent surgery: he recently underwent cancer surgery in his chest and lungs.

According to Gumbel, he had a tumor removed from his chest, and part of one of his lungs also got removed; in addition, he needed what he called "more treatment" to make sure all the cancerous cells had been eliminated. He didn't mention what that treatment was, though.

The 61-year-old (!) Gumbel has kept a relatively low profile in recent years, popping up on his Real Sports show on HBO and occasional stints as a sub for Regis. So it's easy to see how this could have been on QT.

But it must have been a Herculean effort for him and his family to plug any possible leaks; the tabloids would have been screaming "BRYANT GUMBEL DYING!" from their covers if they heard the news. Heck, even Kelly didn't know, as the look on her face as he revealed the news made for excellent TV. Tiger Woods needs to take a few PR lessons from Gumbel, doesn't he?

Good to see Gumbel is doing better. Wonder if this health scare will mean we see more or less of him from here on in?

SadiesRotten

How does having part of a lung removed construe breast cancer? Give me a break!
I saw him on Regis & Kelly this morning at the Drs. Office. He doesn't look a day over 50.

December 08 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori Dawn

Jeez you would think they would have some more compassion for the guy like him or hate him. And hey whats up with "Transgressions" see what LD has to to say on LDLTV google it and see the 1st site that comes up.

December 08 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evie

sounds like breast cancer - good thing he's OK

December 08 2009 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

God-speed, Bryant.

December 08 2009 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brucee47

Jimmy you idiot..the man just disclosed he had Cancer.

I know what it can do to a family- I had cancer and survived! My daughter had cancer and did not!

Bryant..continued success in your battle/ have a healthy New Year.

December 08 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to brucee47's comment
Jim

I was just answering the question posed in Joel's post.

I lost my sister to cancer, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but that doesn't change the fact that Gumbel is a douchebag.

December 08 2009 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

> Wonder if this health scare will mean we see more or less of him from here on in?

Less, please.