November 22, 2014

The Bonnie Hunt Show is coming to an end

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 8th 2009 11:02AM
bonnie_hunt_show_WBAfter a two year stint in syndication, The Bonnie Hunt Show is coming to an end. In a syndicated world where the gossip-mongering of TMZ, The Insider and Extra thrive, a sweet talk show like Bonnie's just didn't cut the mustard. Apparently, there's only room for one show like that and it's called The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Warner Brothers, which syndicates The Bonnie Hunt Show, announced its decision to take it off the air at the end of this season. Bonnie addressed her staff immediately. I'm sure Bonnie Hunt's agent is busy lining up new projects for her. She's too funny, too talented and too good to be out of work for long. I hope the employees on her show do as well.

It's true that this is no big surprise. Unlike previous "nice" talk show successes like Regis & Kelly, Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen, Bonnie failed to catch fire. It wasn't that she wasn't as affable or guest-friendly as the other two ladies, it was simply that the program was a little wan.

It lacked the quirkiness of Ellen's dancing and comedy bits. It didn't have Rosie's intensity and passion. Ellen could do an entire segment on the phone with a contest winner and make it hilarious. Rosie would go on and on about Drake's Cakes like she was working for the company... and it was funny. Maybe Bonnie needed a Regis as a comic foil?

Like Bob wrote when Bonnie premiered, the show had potential. Ultimately, though, the ratings did her in. The numbers never improved since the premiere in 2008.

Paula

finally i am retired where i can actually sit and watch her show instead of being out sick or on vacation to be able to see it. and what happens......they take it off! i love her!! and i loved her other tv shows too. i hope she comes back on another sitcom and blows everyones socks off. she is a good person and so down to earth and includes her mama in her show. she a special lady.
i hope you do well and look forward to seeing you in a new program.

February 24 2010 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Whitney

I didn't get to watch Bonnie when she first came on because I did not know about it--until she was on Ellen's show. I tape four shows while I work 8a-5p--but the first one I always watch is The Bonnie Hunt Show! I absolutely don't know what I will do if they go through with canceling her show!! I feel I am watching part of a family--she treats everyone on her staff like they are equally valuable to her show. I love how she is so down to earth, her humor, her voice,her Mom, Alice, and her humility!!!!

February 05 2010 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Whitney

I have loved Bonnie in everything she has been in whether sitcoms,movies,or her shows. This is actually my favorite, feel good shows to watch. I'm going to miss it immensely!

February 05 2010 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen Kelly

FOX 10 had integrity once....What happened ? I enjoy mornings with Bonnie Hunt. She will be missed like so many other great shows that that were trashed because they refused to compromise values and fought hard to maintained high standards. The Bonnie Hunt Show is not shallow, superficial, vulgar or rude. She doesn't exploit other celebrities or people in the public eye. Her show has always celebrated those of us that don't worship the gods of Hollywood by embracing the real American family. The show never betrays their audience with the cheap shock value of malicious gossip. It's about real people created by real people! Her show reflects most of the American population without stooping to sensationalism. No wonder she didn't make it in the artificial world of television?

January 27 2010 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

Bonnie and the entire staff ROCK!!!! I think the problem is that her comedy is too smart and there are too many dimwits out there who don't get it. I am SOOOO tired of dumbed down televison.....The Bachelor, That Love Conveyor Belt thing COME ON....we are not all idiots and enjoy funny, witty, intelligent women on tv. Maybe if Bonnie was a lesbian that everyone tip toed around she'd be fine. I think this is a sorry moment in televison.

January 23 2010 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol

I was fortunate to go to her show when in LA last summer. What a fun refreshing show with one of the most gracious, kind, entertaining ladies on the air. She takes the time to greet everyone that she possibly can when the shows closes, very impressive Lady ! We need more positive shows that are good for all the family like this one.

January 10 2010 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I don't know. I guess that poor Bonnie wasn't butchy enough. You know, being a straight white woman with morals and all. If she could have been more like the Hollywood liberals like. Degenerate.

January 09 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Soo sorry to hear that Bonnie's show is being cancelled! I love watching her chat with her Mom Alice,and I love her down to earth,no-nonsense style too. It was always a bright spot in my day before I had to go to work. I'll miss Bonnie and her crew. Best of luck to all of them!!

January 09 2010 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mlwinter1956

THEY CANCEL BONNIE. BUT KEEP DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. GO FIGURE

December 13 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen

oops misspelled America ...before I am torn apart for it.

December 13 2009 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply