September 1, 2014

Ask TV Squad: Which DVDs to own

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 9th 2009 6:19PM
DVDThe "Ask TV Squad" column, published every Wednesday, answers your questions about current and past TV shows, as well as about the celebrities appearing on TV. Every week, I will pick a question (or more) sent to us and provide answers in the column. If your question is not picked for a column, it may be answered in a subsequent column or in TV Squad's APB Podcast.

To submit questions to the "Ask TV Squad" column, you can post them below in comments or email them to asktvsquad@gmail.com.

This week, I follow up on the last "Ask TV Squad" about TV shows on DVD and answer a question about which TV DVDs you should own.

Q. Timothy asks "What are the must-have TV shows on DVD? I already own The Wire, The Office, Lost, Arrested Development, Rescue Me, and some The Simpsons seasons. But I really want to build up my DVD library."

A. You have made some really good choices to start off your collection. Personally, I buy DVDs of shows that I know I will watch more than once. Therefore, my own personal collection is filled with sitcoms or shows, such as Arrested Development, that have tons of inside jokes, hidden meanings, etc., that will have me discover something new every time I watch.

To help you in your quest to build a DVD library, I polled the bloggers here at TVSquad.com and here is a small list of shows on DVDs we recommend to start building up your DVD library. Of course, I recommend you read on each to ensure they are types of shows you enjoy, which is why I linked each shows to their search results page or their show store on Amazon.com.

Keep an eye on our Festivus section as Nick will soon have a post about DVDs released this past year that people should own.

TV Squad readers, don't be shy and share with us your must haves when TV on DVD is concerned in comments below.

Dave Elliot

How I Met Your Mother
Grey's Anatomy
Friends
Alias

December 12 2009 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. When we do lists, it's impossible to include all the fantastic shows as list can't go on and on and on and personal taste does come into play too.

With your suggestions, I'm sure people looking to build up their DVD library will have a great collection.

December 10 2009 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephnie

I agree with Veronica Mars, but I can't believe Buffy isn't on the list. It is a must own.

December 10 2009 at 6:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kireet

I'm surprised 30 Rock isn't up there

December 10 2009 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

No collection is complete without the inclusion of M*A*S*H.

December 10 2009 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

Where's Lost? Talk about something that stands up to repeat viewings!!!

December 09 2009 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rebecca's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I didn't include "Lost" because the person asking the question said he already owned that show.

December 10 2009 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

"Buffy" seasons 1-5, "West Wing" seasons 1-4, and all 5 seasons of "Babylon 5". All are very rewarding for telling season-long stories. "Babylon 5" was breaking ground for "Lost" decades earlier--5 seasons, one continuous storyline, with callbacks to prior seasons in each one. A single TV series as one complete story, with each episode a chapter, started with "Babylon 5".

December 09 2009 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

The three DVD sets I own:

- Twin Peaks
- Steven Speilberg's Taken
- The Lost Room

December 09 2009 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to George's comment
tcc3

The Lost room felt like it was meant to be a pilot. I wish we had gotten more.

December 10 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack_Kay

I hate to sound like one of those avid Whedonites that a lot people can't stand...

but seriously, the entire seven Seasons of "BuffyTVS" is one of the most rewarding dvd buys possible out there (+ the five "Angel" seasons with it to extend/expand the story arcs).

Also UK series "Spaced" is very very good and cute - so funny and very relatable.

December 09 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply