April 19, 2014

What's Hot on SlashControl: Modern Family

by Jane Boursaw, posted Dec 9th 2009 2:02PM
Are you watching Modern Family? I haven't worked it into my schedule regularly, but have seen enough episodes to know it's good. Plus, everyone else says it's good, so how can you argue with that? Well, Bob says it's a bit overrated, so maybe a little debate is called for.

The show covers three very different types of families, and aside from great writing, excellent casting, and a good production, maybe that's the secret. There's something for everyone in Modern Family, whether you're young, old(er), middle-aged or gay. It's also executive produced by Steve Levitan (Just Shoot Me) and Christopher Lloyd (Frasier), so that probably has something to do with it, too.

Our own Jason has been covering it here on TV Squad, so be sure to check out his reviews. You can catch all the episodes at our sister site, SlashControl, but here's the most recent one, "Fizbo," to get you started.

La-Di-Dah

Hilarious show.

December 09 2009 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Hilarious show.

December 09 2009 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derrick

it'e overrated because you're going to choose american idol over it? That's a stretch. Idol is the biggest ball of crap I've ever watched. Why watch all these kids sing for a record deal when it does nothing for them but get them on the inside of a gossip mag?

Modern Family is quality comedy programming. Some may not find it funny, but it is in the top half of shows in an era of programming that leaves a lot to be desired....

December 09 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJ

How can something be overrated? If you like something, you like it. It's a personal opinion. Just cause you don't like something, doesn't mean everybody else shouldn't. It's like everyone is supposed to think the same thing about every show. If that was the case shows like "It's always sunny" would never get a second season.

December 09 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DDT

One of the few shows that can actually make me laugh out loud. I always look forward to new episodes. I think this show is the best new comedy on TV. Maybe not great yet but definitely very good.

December 09 2009 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

As stated in previous discussions on the subject, I am only interested in one-third of the show's storylines (the Julie Bowen third). The Ed O'Neill family just doesn't strike me as believable or interesting, and I couldn't care less about the gay guys raising an infant.

More importantly, the show is up against SVU and Glee -- both of which are superior -- and my DVR can only handle two shows at a time. I might catch an episode or two after Glee ends (tonight?), but I won't go out of my way to see it once American Idol starts up again.

Long story short: Bob's right. The show's over-rated.

P.S. Modern Family's lead-in, The Middle, is the show you should be watching!

December 09 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
Dan

Your lack of taste within the show is also obvious when looking at the fact that you consider SVU to be quality TV.

99% of critics will disagree with you on which parts of the show are the real comedic gold, and they stem from Manny (Al Bundy's step-son) and the Gay Couple.

The Middle is also a very good show, but Modern Family is certainly superior to the cliche SVU and Glee (which is a 30 minute comedy with 14 minutes of over-produced bubblegum versions of formerly good songs stuck in for filler), and is probably one of the top 3 or 4 comedy shows on TV right now.

December 09 2009 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

dan6pitcher: I didn't say SVU was "quality" TV. I said it was superior to Modern Family. "Quality" is an adjective I would reserve for other shows in the cop genre, like The Shield and NYPD Blue.

As for Modern Family being "probably" one of the top 3 or 4 comedy shows on TV right now, here are five that are "definitely" better: 30 Rock, The Office, It's Always Sunny, Big Bang Theory and The Middle.

December 10 2009 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply