All Brad wants for Festivus
by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 10th 2009 11:02AM
Another year come and gone, and now I have to give another wish list regarding the state of television and what I view as my ideal. Since I know that my tastes are very different than those of the general public, I'm not expecting much in the way of agreement. But that's okay. We're all different, and that's a good thing.
- The end of reality television - I just want this genre to die a horrible, slow, painful death, preferably involving leeches. I recognize that there are some gems in this pile of crap, but I loathe those sorts of shows that appeal to the worst and most gossipy nature within us. Get rid of them all. Except for those on the Food Network, because that channel is cool.
- A stellar fifth year of the new Doctor Who - Admittedly, I was hesitant when they hired Matt Smith as The Doctor, who only yesterday just learned to walk. However, the brilliant Steven Moffat is behind the show and my expectations are very high. And disappointing a man with a television blog at his disposal is a bad idea, Steven.
- Smallville to end - It's high time. It's run its course. Yes, it's been getting better recently since they downplayed the melodrama and upped the geek factor, but it still has that bad taste of the earlier seasons. They should start a sequel series called Metropolis where Clark actually wears the tights and flies.
- The Fox network to stop moving their good TV shows to the Friday Night Death Slot - Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse ... the list goes on.
- My cable company to carry BBC America - Actually, let me expand on that. I want cable companies to offer channels a la carte allowing people to choose whatever channels they want and charging a fee per channel. I would happily pay for just my preferred channels without any of the extra crap my cable company packages in with the good ones.
- And finally, another great year with TV Squad would be the best holiday gift of all.