July 30, 2014

FX renews The League

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 10th 2009 12:38PM

The League on FXLooks like FX has finally found a friend for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia -- the network announced yesterday that it was renewing The League for a thirteen episode second season.

While this doesn't come a surprise, I'm still not 100% sold. In my initial review of The League, I wasn't high on it for numerous reasons. There was far too much reliance on one-off jokes only intended to create buzz (vaginal hubris, anyone?) and Jon Lajoie seemed like he had no purpose other than singing YouTube-friendly potty-mouthed songs. Factor in the utter lack of meaningful football references and the show was all over the place.

That being said, The League progressed a little this season in terms of content and characterization and there is certainly the foundation of a better show taking root here. In the press release, FX EVP of Original Programming Nick Grad likened the show's performance this season to the first season of Always Sunny.

Makes sense, but don't forget the key factor here -- Sunny only took off after the show was re-tooled and Danny DeVito was added in season two. I'm not suggesting The League needs to go adding a big name, but it definitely needs to make some changes if it plans on breaking out of the red zone when it returns next summer.

The season one finale of The League airs tonight on FX at 10:30 p.m. ET.

Amanda

Yup, this is a truly great show! It is incredible and Taco is great. So happy this show is coming back.

January 28 2010 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

Perhaps you are too glib to understand the humor. This show is incredible.

December 11 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
speculum

as a newly broken-up, approaching-middle-aged-dude, i think the shows depictions of friends in different stages of their lives, still clinging to and actively enjoying their friendships, is spot on. i love the references to the married-and-starting-families couples, as well as the newly-single-and-adjusting-friend and the other dudes who are "just there" is comic gold. why someone hasn't managed to find a way to mine this social dynamic before is unknown to me. i'm kicking myself for having not thought of it.

it's not perfect, but with a second season to work on it...there's definitely extreme potential there.

December 10 2009 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

Awesome, I love the show.

December 10 2009 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

I dunno, I think you're missing the point of the show. It's not about fantasy football. It's about a bunch of dudes using fantasy football as an excuse to keep in touch and call each other inappropriate names. That's what fantasy football is for a lot of people. As for Taco, some groups of friends do have a guy that is "just there."

December 10 2009 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

Last night I decided to give up on The League. It just doesn't pop for me. I've watched all but the last episode, but the past few episodes have felt like chores to watch. Maybe because I don't know people like the guys on the show, but I just don't think it's that funny.

December 10 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

It's not a great show. I probably wouldn't even call it very good, but it's definitely a step up from some of the network's other efforts. Remember Testees? Starved?

December 10 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply