July 29, 2014

Nielsen releases their list of the top ten shows of 2009

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 11th 2009 4:02PM
American IdolWe're talking ratings here, not quality of the shows. Nielsen has the top ten rated shows for 2009 and also has a couple of other categories, including the top ten single telecasts and the top ten time-shifted shows of the year (you might not guess that).

Speaking of not guessing what something is, you're never going to believe what the number ten show is on the top ten rated shows of the year list. The Live Feed was surprised and I'm not sure I'm convinced either. The full list of the ten highest-rated shows is after the jump.

1. American Idol - Weds
2. American Idol - Tues
3. Dancing with the Stars
4. NBC's Sunday Night Football
5. Dancing with the Stars - Results
6. NCIS: Los Angeles
7. NCIS
8. NFL Football on ESPN
9. Sunday Night Football Pre-Kick
10. The Good Wife

Will

Although I'm suprised that some shows AREN'T on the list, American Idol being the top one doesn't suprise me. For one thing, I kind of cheat because I subscribe to Ent. Weekly & Idol is always #1 on the list when the show is on, with the rare exception of a hot team playing Sunday Night Football. But the other reason it isn't suprising is because some people I know, who you'd think would be the most unlikely Idol viewers, are hardcore fans. My theory is that it's because it's the type of show where you really don't have to invest yourself to enjoy it. You can do other things while it's on, there's no story to follow & have to pay attention to, like you would on, say one of my favorites, Criminal Minds ( or Numbers, etc.). You don't like a singer, you tune out for a few minutes. I actually watched 1 season, for the most part, when Carrie Underwood was on, just because I thought she was the best contestant I've seen, before or since (although I really liked Kat McPhee, too.) But the last few seasons have really been lacking, at least that's the impression I've gotten from the little bits I've heard. Seeing Adam Lambert perform on the AMA's recently tells me all I need to know, if he almost won, I'm not missing much.

December 12 2009 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Umm what I wanna know is how 2009 ranks are released when the year isn't over yet...especially if repeats are factored in -- some of these shows still have 2009 repeats yet-to-air! And also, why wasn't this done on a TV season basis? Who cares about the year? That makes no sense for anything other than Top 10 telecasts (which still only makes marginal sense) because a new show could debut huge then fall off...but make Top 10 2009 since only Sept-Dec averages would be counted. Too bad there's no source line to check this out!

December 12 2009 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

Most ratings stories only focus on the "money demo" (18-49), where The Good Wife only does so-so. But it's done very well with older viewers so its overall ratings are very high.

For me, too, it's the only show in the top ten that I watch, apart from occasionally catching a prime time football game.

December 11 2009 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
person

This yet again proves to me that the Nielsen Ratings are so off. They need a much better system of seeing what people watch because their selected households clearly never agree with what most people say. Darn You American Idol!!!!!!!!!

Also on a side note how in the world did NCIS LA beat NCIS if NCIS is the #1 show on tv. I've seen both of there weekly ratings and NCIS is always on top. How is it ahead?

December 11 2009 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Oh how depressing.
And what the what!? The Good Wife? That came out of nowhere.

December 11 2009 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Just as I suspected, the time-shifted list is laden with SF and Friday programming.

As for the above list, I watch DWTS time-shifted but the rest isn't even on my radar.

December 11 2009 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

I can't believe "The Good Wife" made it. The only quality show on the whole dang list. Score at least one for the good guys.

December 11 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Cotton

Huh, I don't watch a single one of the top ten. I guess I'm just not it tune with the rest of the tv viewing audience...

December 11 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

American Idol?!? Seriously, America?

December 11 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Logan's comment
Jeff N.

I can not stand American Idol.

December 11 2009 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply