September 22, 2014

That Gap ad has me screaming, too

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 13th 2009 3:03PM
gap_logoLet me start by apologizing for this post. I can't stand this commercial. It's a Gap holiday special which is called Talk to the Moose. I don't know why. There's no Rocky and Bullwinkle in the spot and no references to Northern Exposure. I might have liked the commercial if it had made some shout out to two of my TV faves.

Instead we have adorable little girls frolicking in winter wear. I have nothing against the little ladies. Like I said, they're adorable. They really make those sweaters work, so kudos to Gap for showing off their products in a positive way. If only the singing were as positive.

This caterwauling, cheerleader romp just grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. Take a look:

Whatever happened to "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." or even "Santa Claus is coming to town"? Nothing melodic is heard here, just the beat of an obnoxious chant that's topped by high-pitched, shrill screaming.

You know the best thing about this Gap ad? It's seasonal. It will be off the air in about two weeks and hopefully shelved for a long, long time. At least till next Christmas.

k

And we wonder why people are so unhappy. Get over your wannabe "adult" ass and enjoy some cheering. Oh, I guess you'd like it better if the commercial had some deep, whiny message abt Holidays during tough economic times. I bet you'd STILL bitch about that.

Also, "Talk to the moose" is both hands above your head, as if you're taunting the other person, with moose antlers. You know, something KIDS do, since it's a commercial for KIDS clothing. Try understanding something next time before you go dismissing it. Speaking ignorantly is really your ugliest moment.

December 16 2009 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I love TV but hate ads so I usually skip or mute ads but this one cracks me up. Look at the girls face at 0:21 and tell me that's not funny. Also, the little girls jumping around at 0:22 are adorable. Ask a group of preschoolers to dance and it eventually turns into jumping and screaming.

As for being offended by commercials aimed at kids, try watching an afternoon of cartoon network ads and see how offended you get. Or, skip the ads and just watch the cartoons themselves. There's plenty of offensive stuff there as well.

December 14 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynne

I'm offended by this commercial, in these tough financial times it's really hard to hear small girls saying their old clothes are "officially retired" and then in a demanding tone saying "1234 not gonna wear it any more!" What kind of message is this sending to girls that are glued to the tv and hear this? From what I've noticed, if kids hear things on tv and in movies they think it is ok, and is that the kind of attitude you want your children to have? Like I said in the beginning, I'm offended by this ad, and I'm very sad that advertising has come to this.

December 14 2009 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

The rhthym is really similar to "How Funky is Your Chicken" which the kids in my class chanted with accompanying motions (about 15-20 years ago). I don't know if they still do it, but the ad makes me a little nostalgic.

As for the Tomboy issue, we used to do the chant at pickup games a lot, and they're certainly less frilly than the usual Christmas dresses. I don't know if this makes them tomboys or girlie girls or just regular kids who are somewhere in between.

December 14 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

OMG, I thought I was the only one...I mute immediately any of the Gap ads but in particular this one. It's not the adorable kids, I like kids, and honestly prior years I sort of liked the Gap ads. I think it is the non-melodic shriekiness of all of them. I also normally understand and respect the PC-ness of things but I think these ads just take it too far. It's sort of like 'I don't care that there is significance to this season, just buy me stuff.' Bugs me no end.

December 14 2009 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

OMG I hate this commercial with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Every time it comes on, I instantly get a headache.

December 14 2009 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

During tonight's Cleveland Show, when Cleveland said something about coming back after these messages coming to you in a loud and abusive manor, the should have shown this commercial!

December 14 2009 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
e. bryant

Love this ad, but I love talented kids. I was one once. I raised 4 talented kids and now I'm enjoying watching my talented grand babies. Notice the little one is about 4. Seems like the internet brings out the hate and envy in people. You haters need prayer and therapy.

December 13 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Biggest reason I like this commercial? It embraces tomboys. It tells you to get rid of frilly dresses, and the girls just look like they're having a great time.

December 13 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jen's comment
wulfn1

Funny, after twenty five years of pee-wee football and pee-wee cheerleading squads all the way up to high school, I have yet to see not even once , a "tomboy" cheerleader.... and every one of those girls were cheerleader types.
I have also never met a tomboy who cares about how cute boots are...

December 13 2009 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
H

These are not tomboys! They're running around in skirts (one of them looks more like a tutu), polka-dot tights and boots with fuzzy things on the ends, doing a cheerleading routine about how cute their clothes are. Chances are, they all have pink cell phones covered in bling and chuahuas in their purses.

You're free to like or dislike the commercial, but these are NOT tomboys. If they are, I would loathe gap's definition of a girly-girl.

December 14 2009 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

I like this commercial, its really cute. However, I would like to see some old familiar Christmas commercials, like when Peter comes home for the holidays, (Folgers), and Santa Claus riding on that Norelco electric razor.

December 13 2009 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply