August 29, 2014

Remembering the happier times of Julie Benz's career

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 14th 2009 6:31PM
Are you still reeling over what happened to Julie Benz on last night's Dexter finale? Don't worry. Here's some digital Zoloft for you.

Benz got her first big break on the small screen way back in the early 1990s on the extremely short-lived ABC and Nick-at-Nite sitcom spoof Hi Honey, I'm Home! She played the show's archetypal '50s sitcom teenage daughter Babs Nielson. I don't know why it's so amusing to watch her on the show now. Maybe if it's because we knew that Babs would end up dating and marrying a successful serial killer, the original show might have lasted a little longer.

Jen

I wasn't going to say anything, but screw it. I'm pissed. I had the last three episodes queued up to marathon last night, came on TVSquad to check the guest lists for the late night shows, and scrolled right into this post. Episode reviews and cast announcements I know to avoid, but you have to throw spoilers around in an actor flashback/nostalgia post? Really? Or how hard is it to just add a damn "SPOILERS FOR DEXTER" in the first line line or black bars like everyone else? It's been two frickin' days - not long enough for this to be common knowledge by any stretch of the imagination and WAY too soon to stop taking precautions.

December 15 2009 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jen's comment
VeronicaofMars

Joel Keller why haven't you changed this title then? As soon as you saw it was spoiling an awesome moment in television for people. I can buy that it was unintentional, although the fact that it was WORSE before is insane to me, but once it was shown to ruin the episode for a lot of people, why not change it? You guys just got defensive instead of fixing it. Not fixing it was the true dick movie here.

December 16 2009 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

People who suffer from a psychotic level of spoilerphobia should either see a shrink or quit reading any TV fansite. The problem does not lie with the author of an article but with your insane expectations and demands.

December 15 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Leroy's comment
VeronicaofMars

Defending putting spoilers in article titles is ridiculous. If you want to ruin shows for fans, you are a dick. Period. And yes you can be a fan of a show and not watch it immediately. It's 2009. I had to work Sunday so I couldn't watch it right away. Luckily I decided to stay up till 3am to watch it. Some people can't do that.

Put spoilers in articles behind a jump like they do with reviews. That's perfectly okay and easy to avoid. Avoiding titles is not easy especially with an RSS feed.

December 15 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

We don't try to be dickish on purpose; we try very hard to keep spoilers from where people can see them. Sometimes, stuff slips through. In this case, Danny originally had a much stronger-worded version of that spoiler and I asked him to tone it down. When I saw his new version, it looked sufficiently toned down to me.

But, in this case, it might not have been, and for that I apologize. However, everyone's level of spoilerphobia is different. Wording that I may not think is spoilery may set off your spoiler meter. That's no reason to call us "dicks" or make a big show of saying you're not reading us anymore. You've never inadvertently spoiled a movie or show for someone?

December 15 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

TV viewing habits have changed,and with everyone TIVO'ing and record things in various ways and getting it On Demand and waiting for the full-season video, there is NO good time to discuss any show. Really.

When I come to this site and others like it, I expect that they'll be discussing shows, and I expect that they're not waiting a week until I get around to watching an episode. I think *usually* this site tries to avoid blatant "spoiling" but, ya know, crap happens.

Common sense. Don't expect a blogger to cater to your viewing habits because you didn't watch a show when it actually aired.

December 15 2009 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Here's the reality -

1) The show aired Sunday night at 9pm. Some people don't stay up that late and may watch Monday or Tuesday.

2) This site already did a spoiler-free review, so we're not talking about reviewing the show.

3) People are not going to visit the site if their favorite shows are going to be ruined.

I don't know why it couldn't have said, "Here's an old clip of Julie Benz" blah blah. I'd say 2-3 days is enough to wait before overtly discussing twists and episode happenings that are NOT behind a cut.

The reality is, if you want people to come to your site, don't ruin their shows for them. If you don't have enough content that you MUST talk about these things the day after they happen...maybe you need to review the content of your site.

December 15 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
punksrus

"Are you still reeling over what happened to Julie Benz on last night's Dexter finale? Don't worry."

This is the first line of the article! I have no problems with the reviews of shows I haven't seen yet, I look at the title or picture and can breeze right by BUT since the title had an actresses name it in (not the show) that I thought was familiar I read the first line and this is what I found. That is why I have a problem with this. Other writers will give you fair warning or as I said you can see that the article is about the episode and skip it. I also had to skim the other comments because I did see some disturbing things that lead me to conclude what happened. I can not afford Showtime and have to wait for the DVDs to come out - sorry.

December 15 2009 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Pussies.

December 15 2009 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GrumpyOldMan's comment
Argent

agreed. the whole 'no spoilers' nonsense is really getting out of hand. if you don't want stuff spoiled, don't read sites that might spoil stuff for you.

meanwhile, i think the rest of humanity will go on just fine and ducky without a few extra people chipping in with their 2 cents as to why X was the greatest or Y blew goats.

December 15 2009 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VeronicaofMars

TV Squad is embarrassingly stupid. You can talk about whatever you want in articles with spoiler warnings, don't hint at huge spoilers in the titles of your articles. Any fan of the show who might have DVRed it would know exactly what happens based on this title.

December 14 2009 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to VeronicaofMars's comment
Mark

I agree....this post ruined it for me too. I saw the title on my google reader feed before I could watch the show. I don't have an issue with what was said but don't give it away in the title.....use some common sense and use a spoiler alert. This was absolutely a terrible thing to do. I have been on the edge of my seat waiting to watch the ending and you ruined it Danny. Thanks a lot!

December 15 2009 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Well, since we're discussing it here in a rational way, let me ask you guys this: How much time do you think should pass before we start talking about what happened on a TV show?

December 14 2009 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jane Boursaw's comment
Ian

I would wait AT LEAST a week. Or, if you do want to talk about something that happened the week of an airing, at least put it behind a cut. Naming this article, "Remember when Julie Benz was black and white?" and discussing her previous career WITHOUT mentioning something happening on TV this week would probably have been a better way to go here; or you end the before-cut with"Want to know why we're reminiscing so much? Spoilers ahead."

Does that make sense?

December 14 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Thanks, Ian. I appreciate the note. It's a challenge to write about TV shows without revealing things, to be sure.

Check out my recent post I wrote on spoilers:

Ashley - Was "This person died" on the front page somewhere? I'm not seeing it.

December 14 2009 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Jane Boursaw's comment
Ashley Boyd

Knowing something big will go down is one thing (anyone could have died, anyone could have found out about Dexter etc) but plastering THIS PERSON DIED on the front page is a bit much.

Only just been able to watch and glad I avoided...well, everything until now.

Anyway, I shall miss Julie Benz. Rita got too much flack this season.

December 14 2009 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply