November 27, 2014

Top TV Stories of 2009: Celebs who use Twitter

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 14th 2009 9:02AM
TwitterI'll admit that I wasn't swayed by the allure of Twitter at first. As someone who tried Facebook for three weeks a couple of years ago and then quickly canceled the account, I didn't want to get on a social networking site that was like Facebook but only had status updates. Why would I want to do that? But then I started using Twitter and then I got it. I got why it's so great (note: I'm on Facebook again, but only because Facebook is the new phone book - even if you don't use it that much, it's good to be listed).

Twitter haters always say the same thing when they explain why they're not on it: "Why would I care when someone's eating a sandwich?" It's so much more than that. I even think it has evolved into something the creators of Twitter could never have imagined. Sure, it's social networking, but not social networking in the sense that Facebook is. It's a whole different thing. It's like getting a stream of e-mails or IMs or breaking news posts throughout the day from people you're actually interested in hearing from.

And that list of people just might include TV personalities.

Now, there are Twitter accounts that aren't too special: the network accounts that are just plugs for shows that are coming up, links to video, links to contests, that sort of thing. There's nothing wrong with them (and they're well worth following), it's just that they're the same thing you can get from the network's web site or a mailing list. And then there are the celebrity accounts obviously run by a publicist or a network.

But then you have the celebrities that actually update the Twitter accounts themselves. A lot of people not familiar with Twitter or Facebook might wonder why celebrities would want to update what's going on in their lives. I think it's because a lot of them find it to be a creative outlet (the best Twitterers are the funny, clever ones) and this allows them to interact with fans without directly interacting with fans on a daily basis (unless they actually want to, and I'm always surprised at how many celebrities are open to it).

Could Twitter just be one of these web trends that will be replaced by something else in two years? Could celebrities get tired of the novelty? Well ... maybe. But I think the way that Twitter is structured makes it a platform that is here to stay.

Here's a list to get you started. I chose these people because one, they update often. Two, their tweets are interesting. And three, I follow them.

Neil Patrick Harris
Penn Jillette
Teller
Josh Malina
Jim Gaffigan
Alison Brie
Rob Corddry

Note: I've confirmed (and in most cases Twitter has also confirmed - you can see a "Verified Account" check mark on those accounts) that the above accounts are actually run by those celebrities. But please note that there are several Twitter accounts that actually aren't the celebrities they claim to be. For example, there are a few fake Stephen Colberts out there (I won't link to them, of course - that would just cause confusion and give them free publicity). The above link to Colbert's account (StephenAtHome) is real. There was a fake Tina Fey for a while, but Fey actually got the name from them and now owns the account (though she hasn't updated it at all).

Sir Yuck-Yuck

whoopsie forgot a l

December 15 2009 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

at least I think its her (Smallville's Chloe)

December 15 2009 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loni

@NathanFillion

December 15 2009 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

December 15 2009 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

"House"' Olivia Wilde, Simon Pegg,, "Dexter"/"Angel" Julie Benz, "BTVS"/"Angel" Juliet Landu, Eliza Dushku "DollHouse/BTVS, Krysten Ritter of "Breaking Bad" Wes Craven, and David Lynch are some of my favorites to follow on Twitter. Its not just that its really them, they actually post intresting things, not (always) just whatever. Stan Lee, on the other hand, posts like a mad man. But I still follow him.

December 14 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darryl

*Cough* twitter.com/stephenfry *cough*

December 14 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

how dare you leave off Felicia Day. She should be right up there with Wil Wheaton. She updates often with interesting tweets. Plus she tweets with everyone like Wil Wheaton and Neil Patrick Harris.

December 14 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kikstad

I can see how Twitter is a good PR tool for celebrities, but I still don't see evidence of how Twitter is a beneficial marketing tool for the average joe.

-- Nick
from City of Kik

December 14 2009 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Javanese

Same story here, I use facebook primarily as a phonebook. I definitely prefer tweeting than "FB-ing". FB most of the time feels like a chore, quiz this, play that, reply this and most annoyingly when you get tagged in embarrassing photos from lord knows when.

As for following suggestion, @rachelnichols1 worth following as she actually read 90% of the tweets she received and tried to reply to each one of before she went to bed.
I also follow @vickyvette who's actually quite funny. Be aware though as most of her tweets are for over 18 only.
@riverscuomo usually post some interesting and often hilarious one liners. And if you're wondering who he is, he's the frontman of weezer.
@alisonbrie updates her tweet quite often and some of em are really interesting too. But if you followed her for less than week you'd think she's a bit narcissistic, but she's not and actually funnier/interesting than her characters on tv.

December 14 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

You forgot the best celebrity Twitterer of them all:

December 14 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply